Parachute deployment help

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
maxilius

Parachute deployment help

Post by maxilius »

Hi guys...I have a 30 inch (diamter) parachute..can someone link me some good websites that gives good suggestions on that? OR you can give me some advice..detailed plz..:D OR..link AND give me good detailed advice! :D Thanks very much!
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Parachute deployment help

Post by Brian »

this site has lots of examples for any type or of recovery systems, including parachute recoverys. http://www.aircommandrockets.com/recovery_guide.htm
for small rockets a big parachute may not be necessary because big parachutes tend to drift far and small parachutes should still do the job.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
RebelRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RebelRockets »

Welcome maxilius,

A very basic round parachute made from one piece of material, 30 inches in diameter, should support a load of 200 grams / 7 ounces at a safe 10 feet per second descent. A specially made parachute could support almost twice that weight.

Unless you have a lot of open, treeless land to launch in, too large a parachute is unnecessary and could make packing and deploying more of a problem. It could also add more weight than you need for your rocket.

Did you make the parachute yourself or did you get it already made? That information would help others in giving their advice.

Dennis
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

maxilius wrote:Hi guys...I have a 30 inch (diamter) parachute..can someone link me some good websites that gives good suggestions on that? OR you can give me some advice..detailed plz..:D OR..link AND give me good detailed advice! :D Thanks very much!
a 30 inch parachute would be suitable for a large heavy rocket. You should consider making your own from a plastic bag, if you are using a light rocket. A large parachute on a light rocket would make the flight last longer but the rocket could drift for a long distance with a chute that big. You could lose it in trees or on a roof, etc.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
danb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by danb »

i dont know if this would help but i use old broken or cheap umbrellas remove the material off the umbrella cut a circular hole in the middle of the material i use duck tape on the cut edges to stop any fraying or ripping i then stick strips of duck tape on the outer edges where you will attach the strings once the tape is on there use a hole punch then you can tie the string through the holes il post some pics up if this sounds very complicated, my rocket weighs 400grams and the size of umbrella is about 3ft and it brings the rocket down at a safe speed hope this helps

danb
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

danb wrote:i dont know if this would help but i use old broken or cheap umbrellas remove the material off the umbrella cut a circular hole in the middle of the material i use duck tape on the cut edges to stop any fraying or ripping i then stick strips of duck tape on the outer edges where you will attach the strings once the tape is on there use a hole punch then you can tie the string through the holes il post some pics up if this sounds very complicated, my rocket weighs 400grams and the size of umbrella is about 3ft and it brings the rocket down at a safe speed hope this helps

danb
Unless you have a really large rocket, an umbrella will probably be overkill. The material is very thick and adds a lot of weight and the parachute itself is so large the rocket will drift a long was as it comes down. Are you sure you can't just use a plastic shopping bag or trash bag for your parachute?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison