Critique my water rocket..Constructive plz :D

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
maxilius

Critique my water rocket..Constructive plz :D

Post by maxilius »

MY ROCKET IDEA!
MY ROCKET IDEA!
perrysrocket.jpg (48.9 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Hey guys...Please critique this design..I'll explain.
It looks like the nose cone is connected with the main body. It's not. It's just rather going over the main body (hope you understand :D)..It's not attached to it/glued to it/taped to it in any way. I can take it off anytime. Now that's taken care of. The nose cone is resting ontop of my wings.

The main parachute is in that chamber. Note: The top of that chamber isn't closed or else it wouldn't come out..duh..lol..

The top is a mini nose tip designed to keep the little chute from going all over the place and even it out as to not have more drag on one side and not that much on the other side.

Here's the deal. If you got to this part of the reading, you probably wondering what the heck that rocket is doing. Well here's the story. The mini nose tip isn't attached to anything, it just keeps the little chute in place. The little chute is connected to the nose cone. The main chute is connected to the main body. Note that the little chute is ONLY connected to the nose cone and NOT in anyway to the main body. (The main body isn't labeled..i know..you should know what that is...too lazy to edit it again in photoshop)....also..The main chute is ONLY connected to the main body. ok...now you're asking why i have a little chute..Once the rocket launches and hits apogee..the little chute pulls the nose cone off and let it glide slowly...during this time..the main chute SHOULD fall out and get the main body to safety on the ground...The mini nose tip just falls down...lol im pretty sure there's not gonna be any damage to that :D..

Now...with that said...It's time to CRITIQUE. Tell me your opinions, what I should change (please do tell me if I need to change my parachute deployment idea COMPLETELY if you DO have a good reason..I welcome all sort of ideas)...so yeah..tell me if this idea is good or not ..if u have your own suggestions/opinions, please FEEL FREE to say! Constructive please! :D And also....this is only an idea at the moment. I haven't even started building. However, I already have the equipment covered..still waiting for my launcher, bike pump, custom made parachutes, AltimeterOne altimeter...that's all i believe.

Note: This is not for any competitions so there is absolutely no limits to what I'm building. Feel free to give me any idea since there isn't any specification. As long as it works good, I'm happy. Thanks guys! :D

I know this is a long post, feel free to bear with me and your fellow water rocketeers! :D
maxilius

Re: Critique my water rocket..Constructive plz :D

Post by maxilius »

And guys... I know the little chute is hanging out there with only a litle nose tip to hold it in place...(not to cover it..just to hold it in place..look at pic above)..the thing is..I can't think of any way to allow the little chute to come out 100% every time except to just allow it to hang there...any suggestions on this as well? Thanks.

And also please do compare design this to other "DO-ABLE" parachute deployments (..."DO-ABLE" as in not to hard but just right. For example, a helicopter recovery method would be a big NO NO. and Plus..it isn't even a parachute deployment..ONLY parachute deployments..I know I'm sounding a bit demanding...I admit...But I just want some ideas to keep my engine going..Thanks guys! :D
maxilius

Post by maxilius »

and also to add...I'm going to use a 2L bottle..and I have 12", 24", 30", and 48" parachutes...So if any of you guys like my idea...Please tell me which size parachutes should be my little chute...and which size parachute should be my main/big chute...thanks :D
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

good idea with the nose tip but it is unlikely this system to work. the reason is, to stabilize a rocket to fly strait up, sufficient weight is needed up front. otherwise the rocket would tumble during flight realising the parachute too early. now, because the rocket is stable the rocket will continue to point into the wind, not giving the parachute a chance to release. this system could only work if the rocket flies directly upwards which is hard to achieve.
if you wish to persevere with this idea id recommend finding a way to destabilize the rocket at apogee.
if you want an alternative id recommend a tomy timer recovery system as a simple way of deploying a parachute.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w