alt15k output

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
160psi
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

alt15k output

Post by 160psi »

What is the best way to get the graph produced by the alt15k onto the forum?
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: alt15k output

Post by WRA2 »

160psi wrote:What is the best way to get the graph produced by the alt15k onto the forum?
You can do a "print screen" Then paste it into "paint", crop the edges (to get rid of whatever else was on the screen at the time the "print screen" was done) and save as a jpeg image. Then simply upload the image to the forum as an attachment.

Hope that helps.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
160psi
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by 160psi »

thanks I'll have a go
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

WRA2 wrote:
160psi wrote:What is the best way to get the graph produced by the alt15k onto the forum?
You can do a "print screen" Then paste it into "paint", crop the edges (to get rid of whatever else was on the screen at the time the "print screen" was done) and save as a jpeg image. Then simply upload the image to the forum as an attachment.

Hope that helps.
You could just load up the flight data file too. The software they use is free so anyone could read it in.

I wonder if there's a way to get an excel sheet to display on the forum? That would be really ideal.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

If you go the print screen route (that's my recommendation, too- I already have the software but I'd still be too lazy to download the graph to look at in most situations) you can just hit alt+printscreen. That just captures the active window so you have no cropping to do.

Alex
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SaskAlex wrote:If you go the print screen route (that's my recommendation, too- I already have the software but I'd still be too lazy to download the graph to look at in most situations) you can just hit alt+printscreen. That just captures the active window so you have no cropping to do.

Alex
I always wondered how to get just the window. I have been using paint to crop for years! Thanks!
Spaceman Spiff
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

One of our old MSN group users had created an Excel spreadsheet importer for Perfectflite altimeters. If anyone here remembers what it was called, we could probably find it in the archives and upload it here.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
beatquest_djnn
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by beatquest_djnn »

Send me the output file... I'll code an excel importer for you in a minute ;)

I'll make it avaliable for everyone after that.

beatquest_djnn@hotmail.com
If it has been done, I can do it...
If not, give me some time to find out how!
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

beatquest_djnn wrote:Send me the output file... I'll code an excel importer for you in a minute ;)

I'll make it avaliable for everyone after that.

beatquest_djnn@hotmail.com
I tried importing a file directly but the file doesn't contain the time values only the altitudes. I think you can input formulas into excel that generate that column automaticaly. I am a total n00b at excel so I have no idea how to do any of that. I just know the program is a billion times more powerful than what I use it for.
Spaceman Spiff
beatquest_djnn
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by beatquest_djnn »

There you go... a solution that I believe would be really complete and usefull for you guys!

Coded for Excel 1997-2003 and 2007-up... just open the file you need. The difference between old version and 2007+ version is that the "data.csv" file does not need to be opened for the fields to automaticaly update in newer version...

You just have to rename the output file to data.csv and paste it in the folder before opening the Graph_1997-2003.xls or Graph_2007_up.xlsx file

It is programmed to get data for a maximum of 5.7 minutes (the max. recording time of the Alt15K) in increments of 0,1 sec. Graphics are scaled automaticaly. I added speed curve with a 1 second interval between each mesurements (to reduce oscilation in the displayed curve)

I included the original example file from PerfectFlite named "3FNC on B6.pfa"... I renamed it to "data.csv" and VOILÀ !

Give it a try and leave me some feedback please...

EDIT 2: I have remove the file because it has errors inside... speed is not calculated the right way!!! V2.2 will be online in an hour or so ...
beatquest_djnn
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by beatquest_djnn »

I could add acceleration to the graph if needed.. just tell me! :D
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

beatquest_djnn wrote:I could add acceleration to the graph if needed.. just tell me! :D
I would like that VERY much!

Thanks for inputting this effort to the community! You rock! 8)
Spaceman Spiff
beatquest_djnn
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by beatquest_djnn »

Did you try it??? I'dd like to know how it works with actual data.. in the meantime, I am working on V1.1 tonight... I'll probably call it V2.0 since I started all over due to a flaw in my original programming concept... I'll be using normal curve unstead of XY scatter graph...
beatquest_djnn
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by beatquest_djnn »

Okay... here's version 2.0... I made mistakes in the speed calculations on the first attempt!
Alt15K_Excel_Extractor_V2.zip
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 543 times
This version works with sample rates of 10 or 20 samples/sec...it has Altitude and derived speed curves calculated with 10 samples intervals to get better average (1 sec or 0.5 sec interval depending on sample rate). It can take up to 20 000 samples and graphics are resizing automaticaly. I added G. force graph but i'ts a bit ugly since it is a derivative of speed... and speed is already a derivative of altitude! Derivative function adds "noise" to an already "noisy" curve. I'll try to integrate filtering and averaging in V2.1 ! 8)

The principle is the same: Rename your ".pfa" file to "data.csv" and place it in the Excel extractor directory. Open it and then open "Graph_2007_up.xlsx" or "Graph_1997_2003.xls" depending on your version of Microsoft office. Make sure you have the "Calibri" font installed if you whant the result to look okay...

It's enough for this week! please try it and if possible, post your original ".pfa" files so I can see the result with real Data...

Some screenshots with Perfect Flight sample Data:
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg (62.7 KiB) Viewed 62 times
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

beatquest_djnn wrote:Okay... here's version 2.0... I made mistakes in the speed calculations on the first attempt!
Alt15K_Excel_Extractor_V2.zip
This version works with sample rates of 10 or 20 samples/sec...it has Altitude and derived speed curves calculated with 10 samples intervals to get better average (1 sec or 0.5 sec interval depending on sample rate). It can take up to 20 000 samples and graphics are resizing automaticaly. I added G. force graph but i'ts a bit ugly since it is a derivative of speed... and speed is already a derivative of altitude! Derivative function adds "noise" to an already "noisy" curve. I'll try to integrate filtering and averaging in V2.1 ! 8)

The principle is the same: Rename your ".pfa" file to "data.csv" and place it in the Excel extractor directory. Open it and then open "Graph_2007_up.xlsx" or "Graph_1997_2003.xls" depending on your version of Microsoft office. Make sure you have the "Calibri" font installed if you whant the result to look okay...

It's enough for this week! please try it and if possible, post your original ".pfa" files so I can see the result with real Data...

Some screenshots with Perfect Flight sample Data:
screenshot1.jpg
Great program!!! This is really a nice looking utility. One thing, though.... would it be possible to support both of the perfectflite altimeter file formats with one program? We have both models and use them in different rockets and sometimes both on the same rocket. That would be the ultimate! Thanks for the contribution!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison