Water Rocket Servo Timer for Parachute Recovery

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Water Rocket Servo Timer for Parachute Recovery

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Tommy wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
Tommy wrote:If I had a two stage rocket, could I have the trigger start the timer when the second stage starts, or is it operated off of Gs? If it is, could I use a different switch? I need to do this or else I could get the timing wrong, becausehe simulators don't take into account the seperate stages.
There is really no one "right" way to do this. Any way that works is "right". You as the designer can pick the trigger system for your timers and since you designed the triggers and know what makes them start, you can adjust and set the timers to the proper values based on what you know and what you simulate.
What I am going to do is to have a 2 liter top stage fr all the multi staege rockets, and I can have the timer start timing owhen the top stage starts. So I can just time the top stage, and have any assortments of bottom stages with the same setting. I guess what I am asking is is the trip switch a g switch and if it is can I change it out for a different one?
There is a lot of potential benefit from just triggering all timers at launch and just adjusting the times accordingly. The main positive is that you only need to make one trigger system and just use it for all the timers.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Madi25498

Post by Madi25498 »

Hi, where can I buy this curcuit board? I live in the uk and don't mind buying from the us I just can't seem to find anywhere that sells them, thanks

Madi
Muzza
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Muzza »

Those boards are tough too, my rocket just suffered a no parachute landing (nothing to do with servochron, servo was in deployed position) and the force of the impact ejected the main chip from it's socket! Pushed it back in, powered it up, still working perfectly.
Now to rebuild the rest of the rocket :(
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Muzza wrote:Those boards are tough too, my rocket just suffered a no parachute landing (nothing to do with servochron, servo was in deployed position) and the force of the impact ejected the main chip from it's socket! Pushed it back in, powered it up, still working perfectly.
Now to rebuild the rest of the rocket :(
That's good to hear!

We like the old school chip and socket design because it is so sturdy. The board is so dirt cheap that people aren't scared of experimenting with new kinds of deploy systems. If it crashes, they are most likely to survive, and if they don't make it through intact, it is not a big loss.

This should lead to new deploy innovations because so many people are experimenting.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison