Camera Mounting

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
longpaddle
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Camera Mounting

Post by longpaddle »

I've ordered a 808 Car Key Type #11 HD video camera for recording my flights. I'm looking for suggetions on how to best mount it.
I want it rear facing, as my parachutes are off the top this will give me both launch and decent video.
If I strap it to the side (Keeping the CG in mind) what should I use?
I don't want it coming off, it will be impossible to find. However it would be great to be able to move it easily to different rockets. I normally fly more than one rocket on a launch day.
Second, do I have to worry about the extra weight on one side of the rocket and compensate with dumby weight on the other side?
Thanks for any advise.
I'm hoping to get some good arial video of my cabin this coming weekend.
Longpaddle Rockets
BC, Canada
air.command

Re: Camera Mounting

Post by air.command »

longpaddle wrote:I've ordered a 808 Car Key Type #11 HD video camera for recording my flights. I'm looking for suggetions on how to best mount it.
I want it rear facing, as my parachutes are off the top this will give me both launch and decent video.
If I strap it to the side (Keeping the CG in mind) what should I use?
I don't want it coming off, it will be impossible to find. However it would be great to be able to move it easily to different rockets. I normally fly more than one rocket on a launch day.
Second, do I have to worry about the extra weight on one side of the rocket and compensate with dumby weight on the other side?
Thanks for any advise.
I'm hoping to get some good arial video of my cabin this coming weekend.
You can tape the camera to the side of the rocket, but keep in mind that the parachute cord may get caught up on it. Electrical tape works well, but wrap it all the way around the rocket in case some of the tape gets wet from filling or splash back from launch. It's also a good idea to attach a string to the keychain hole on the camera and attach that to your rocket as well. This will help prevent it from getting lost if it comes off. I would also suggest wrapping a piece of tape over the micro SD card slot as impact during a crash can eject the card. Those are even harder to find! We've already lost two like that. When attaching the camera to the side make sure that the buttons and status LED are easily accessible.

Mounting the camera internally will offer you extra protection and have less drag, but then it's harder to get the rear facing view. You could always use a little mirror for that. Easily swapping it between rockets is a little more tricky, but if you have interchangeable fairings on your rockets then attaching it to the fairing may be easier. If you only swap it once or twice, then just re-taping it on is a simple option.

I would not worry too much about the extra weight and drag on the one side of the rocket. As most rockets spin when they fly, the rocket is more likely to do a spiral than fly in an arc because of the camera.

- George
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
longpaddle
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by longpaddle »

Thanks George. I love the mirror idea. I was thinking of building my rockets with the ability to interchange nose cones. That way all of my payload, altimeters, camera, parachute could be moved to another rocket.
Thanks for the tip on the SD card.. you're right that would be hard to find!
and it's good to know that the rocket won't sunddenly take a left turn on take off with the extra weight, a little extra spin I can live with.
Longpaddle Rockets
BC, Canada
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

I've mounted my 808 cam to the side of the rocket at my last flights.
I just used transparent household tape to mount the camera, this tape holds very well to pet.
there was no sign of the rocket being unstable due to the extra weight/drag on one side.
In my videos the rocket takes almost half of the frame so it might be better to point the camera a little outward.
You can watch the videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/arjan1013?feature=mhee
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com