Parachute Deployment

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Parachute Deployment

Post by Brian »

my gravity deployment system was ending up quite heavy so ive come up with a new designthat should work and be light.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

RaZias wrote:I was thinking in a rocket with 2 stages but the above one would have only air at little pressure and a parachute in the volume where is the air.

The pressure of the above one would be the enough to separete from the main rocket and eject a parachute trow the nozzle.
The parachute should be open inside and not folded so it would be more easier to be ejected.

The 2 rockets would have to be connected by a string or something so the parachute would work for both of them.

I have never made a parachute before so I am only posting an idea that I don´t know if it´s silly or not.

How about making an "expanding sleeve"? A rubber hose fits inside a tube connected to the bottom of the inside of the nosecone. A spring tries to force the nose off but the hose is expanded inside and makes for friction against the tube and holds the nose on. A small hole leads from the pressure chamber to the hose so it fills when the rocket is filled and it drains slowly making for a delay to time of deploy. I just had this idea. What do you think?
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Bonami wrote:
RaZias wrote:I was thinking in a rocket with 2 stages but the above one would have only air at little pressure and a parachute in the volume where is the air.

The pressure of the above one would be the enough to separete from the main rocket and eject a parachute trow the nozzle.
The parachute should be open inside and not folded so it would be more easier to be ejected.

The 2 rockets would have to be connected by a string or something so the parachute would work for both of them.

I have never made a parachute before so I am only posting an idea that I don´t know if it´s silly or not.

How about making an "expanding sleeve"? A rubber hose fits inside a tube connected to the bottom of the inside of the nosecone. A spring tries to force the nose off but the hose is expanded inside and makes for friction against the tube and holds the nose on. A small hole leads from the pressure chamber to the hose so it fills when the rocket is filled and it drains slowly making for a delay to time of deploy. I just had this idea. What do you think?
That's a pretty cool idea! I hope you don't mind if I give it a try.

I bet you could use an expanding hose system to hold up a spring loaded gardena and when the hose was inflated it would be really stiff and resist the spring but when it deflated it would become limp and the spring would push down the collar of the gardena. That would be a new type of stager and it would be much less complex than other timed stagers!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
water rock1

Post by water rock1 »

Jesus , what happend here :shock: , anyway i suggest another way than a "rubber Band" i suggest that to roll 4 small paper tubles around a 3-4 mm sick/dowel, then glue the 4 tubes evenly space on the top of the rocket then cut 4 small pecies 3mm high by 3mm wide and 3mm long piece of balsa wood , then glue it to the nose cone and then glue a 3mm skewer onto the pieces of blasa wood ( make sure they line up with the tubes) and let them to dry , also make sure that the nose cone with the sticks silde into the tubes and that the parachute isnt really pushing the nose cone up.

Make the sticks long at the start and do test and each time to reduce the length of the skewers evenly until you get the right length so that the nosecone comes of but it dosent come off in mid flight..

We use this technique in Pyro Rockets with gliders on them , it works pretty well
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

water rock1 wrote:Jesus , what happend here :shock: , anyway i suggest another way than a "rubber Band" i suggest that to roll 4 small paper tubles around a 3-4 mm sick/dowel, then glue the 4 tubes evenly space on the top of the rocket then cut 4 small pecies 3mm high by 3mm wide and 3mm long piece of balsa wood , then glue it to the nose cone and then glue a 3mm skewer onto the pieces of blasa wood ( make sure they line up with the tubes) and let them to dry , also make sure that the nose cone with the sticks silde into the tubes and that the parachute isnt really pushing the nose cone up.

Make the sticks long at the start and do test and each time to reduce the length of the skewers evenly until you get the right length so that the nosecone comes of but it dosent come off in mid flight..

We use this technique in Pyro Rockets with gliders on them , it works pretty well
I did not see this idea before. It is an improved version of the old method I don't know if it has a name but we call "nose comes off at apogee". Using dowels in tubes can prevent wind from the side blowing odd the nose cone. Thanks for your suggestion Water Rock1. :idea:
water rock1

Post by water rock1 »

I have have built a version of the chute deployment , it works but it dose need to be weighty at the top to work but i did only test it by throwning it up in the air , it did seprate but it it will work best with two tube and the sticks and tubes have to be a little short other wise it wont slide off.
water rock1

Post by water rock1 »

It did break but i using masking tape and i didnt but i nice it was pretty rough but it will be alot better if it was clean , i also found out to to glue it on the inside of the bottle to reduce and areodymanic defects, i would usally cut the bottle in half with this system so that the dowles are nice and straight :) . I hope My idea works on your rocket , i hope it dose cause it is pretty easy to construct and its cheap , you can even to card board instead of balsa :wink: iI personally do not like trash bag material , i bought my chutes from hobby shops , i would use two 16 or 18 inch chutes.

I love rocketry , all kinds .
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

You can usually get ripstop nylon at most hobby shops
Later
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Graveyard wrote:You can usually get ripstop nylon at most hobby shops
Later
Can you just cut it into parachutes or do you need to sew it together and put a "hem" on it to keep the threads from unravelling?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

i have had what i think to be a successful gravity parachute deployment(will conferm on sunday). :mrgreen:
its about 50grams. :D :WRA2: :D
Ascender Water Rockets
Alex

Post by Alex »

Brian wrote:i have had what i think to be a successful gravity parachute deployment(will conferm on sunday). :mrgreen:
its about 50grams. :D :WRA2: :D
good luck....
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

the rocket broke so i have to rebuild it
Ascender Water Rockets
Alex

Post by Alex »

Wa....Waa....Waaaaaaaaaa
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Alex wrote:Wa....Waa....Waaaaaaaaaa
Be nice!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Alex

Post by Alex »

I'm just trying to make bad jokes that make some people laugh. Now stop making rockets that go 2000 feet! Ther rest of us want to keep up :evil: :lol: