High Definition Wireless Camera w/ Live Feed while Recording

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
T86157
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

High Definition Wireless Camera w/ Live Feed while Recording

Post by T86157 »

Kind of a long title but it describes mostly what other sub-project I am having trouble with. I have an ideal wireless transmitter/receiver and HD camera to use but the problem is the receiver uses an RCA video output. I wanted to hack and use an old game console and place either a 1.8 inch or 2 inch lcd screen on there so I can watch the camera on the rocket as it is being launched while also recording. My problem is finding LCD screen that small that has a controller for it that has an RCA connection. Does anyone know where I could find such a package? I have tried remote control hobby sites (RC planes, rockets, submarines, helicopter) and spy cam sites to see if I could find LCD and controller components. This is harder than finding gold in a fools' gold mine.

The reason I do not want to buy the RC eye glasses and hack those to fit my own custom console is because it is a bit redundant and extremely overpriced to do that.

So my two options that I can think of are:

1. Get help and find an LCD + controller with RCA connection.

2. Find a different NTSC composite camera + transmitter/receiver + LCD + controller

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As a side note: I tried looking for 808 Car Key wireless transmission stream/live feed and could not find how that could be done or what that involve. I do not want to solder components that are 1mm or less in distance from other components.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: High Definition Wireless Camera w/ Live Feed while Recor

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

T86157 wrote:Kind of a long title but it describes mostly what other sub-project I am having trouble with. I have an ideal wireless transmitter/receiver and HD camera to use but the problem is the receiver uses an RCA video output. I wanted to hack and use an old game console and place either a 1.8 inch or 2 inch lcd screen on there so I can watch the camera on the rocket as it is being launched while also recording. My problem is finding LCD screen that small that has a controller for it that has an RCA connection. Does anyone know where I could find such a package? I have tried remote control hobby sites (RC planes, rockets, submarines, helicopter) and spy cam sites to see if I could find LCD and controller components. This is harder than finding gold in a fools' gold mine.

The reason I do not want to buy the RC eye glasses and hack those to fit my own custom console is because it is a bit redundant and extremely overpriced to do that.

So my two options that I can think of are:

1. Get help and find an LCD + controller with RCA connection.

2. Find a different NTSC composite camera + transmitter/receiver + LCD + controller

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As a side note: I tried looking for 808 Car Key wireless transmission stream/live feed and could not find how that could be done or what that involve. I do not want to solder components that are 1mm or less in distance from other components.
As far as we had been able to tell, there are no video outputs on the 808 cameras that you could use. Sorry.

But the wireless video idea is still cool. Hopefully you can find a camera suitable. Our very first video flights in 2003 were wireless camera flights. Sadly, the antenna we used was not calibrated and we had a lot of issues with noise and dropped signal. We had never flown a camera before and the video was grainy and we had no idea what we were looking at. Years later after getting digital cameras with clear video we could go back and look at the old grainy videos from 2003 and make out things we had no clue about back in those days.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

I doubt this would work, but maybe you could hack a baby monitor. The only problem is that it probably wouldn't give you the range you needed.

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
RubberDucky
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RubberDucky »

I have a portable dvd player that has video in from rca jack so maybe one of those? But what do you mean by controler? Might have another idea if this one wont work.
T86157
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by T86157 »

I'm sorry, I should have updated this thread. I found a 1.3" LCD monitor with RCA connection. The first one they sent me was horizontally inverted (moving right moved the picture left, etc.). It's taking quite a long process just to get the RMA for this and sent a correct one. The screen is pretty awesome, I tried playing Nintendo Wii with it...though, the cursor was so small I couldn't tell where it was.
T86157
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by T86157 »

I'm just looking for a reliable receiver/transmitter and 720p camera.
T86157
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by T86157 »

T86157 wrote:I'm sorry, I should have updated this thread. I found a 1.3" LCD monitor with RCA connection. The first one they sent me was horizontally inverted (moving right moved the picture left, etc.). It's taking quite a long process just to get the RMA for this and sent a correct one. The screen is pretty awesome, I tried playing Nintendo Wii with it...though, the cursor was so small I couldn't tell where it was.
Oops, I meant 2" LCD monitor. I'm still waking up.
RubberDucky
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RubberDucky »

Check out microcameras.com or advmw.com they have small trans/rec. The first site has one that is 1.8 grams and trans and reciever for only 129. I wanted to put a setup like this on my heli, but now i should get one for a rocket.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

DogLover wrote:I doubt this would work, but maybe you could hack a baby monitor. The only problem is that it probably wouldn't give you the range you needed.

-DogLover

The antenna would be the key to getting more range. A directional antenna pointed at the rocket as it flies will give you incredible range. The only problem is a good antenna is often costly unless you can build your own.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
T86157
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by T86157 »

I tried building a yaggi antenna for wifi internet. The difficult part was connecting/soldering the coaxial cable to a RP female head of the transmitter/receiver. I gave up on that project due to having limited precision tooling to get a reliable connection.
lowerstoford
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by lowerstoford »

Hi

This is a very old thread, but a Raspberry Pi as the flight computer/altimeter with the addition of the camera module would give superior results

LSD
LSD

Yes, I Am a Rocket Scientist.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

lowerstoford wrote:Hi

This is a very old thread, but a Raspberry Pi as the flight computer/altimeter with the addition of the camera module would give superior results

LSD
I looked into what those are and how much they cost, and the price is right, but aren't they a little bulky? How do you power it too?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
lowerstoford
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by lowerstoford »

What rocket design are you using?

What Nozzle?

What alt are you hoping for?

I don't think weight is going to be a problem. I will get my scales out in a minute.

You could power it from a LiPO and buck-boost regulator.
LSD

Yes, I Am a Rocket Scientist.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

lowerstoford wrote:What rocket design are you using?

What Nozzle?

What alt are you hoping for?

I don't think weight is going to be a problem. I will get my scales out in a minute.

You could power it from a LiPO and buck-boost regulator.
I was thinking about how it would work with an FTC rocket or a smallish pyro rocket. I didn't have a specific rocket in mind, I am just thinking about the size the rocket needs to be to fit a big board like that. Couldn't you do it just as well with a smaller board?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Hmm. This is a really old thread. Back when it was created, this wasn't around, but now days a good FPV system would work marvelously for this. There are systems that come on 2.4Ghz that can transmit for miles flawlessly. You could wear FPV goggles and see the live feed, and record it at the same time. If someone has a FPV setup, I would love to see them try putting it on their rocket!!
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"