AltimeterOne - contest elegibility?

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
jeffs
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

AltimeterOne - contest elegibility?

Post by jeffs »

Have any water rocketeers out there tried using a AltimeterOne in the realtime "curr" mode with a videocamera recording the altitude in flight? I am in the process of replacing the cracked LCD on mine, & plan to try this mode when up & running. Would such a set-up be eligible for the world record contests? The rules say "So-called "Peak Altitude" altimeters are also unacceptable because they are subject to false peak readings caused by external factors." Ideally, if the AltimeterOne's display could be positioned & be in focus within the camera outside view of the ascent, that would be nice. Wouldn't this be an accurate recording of the flight, getting around the chance of a false peak reading? Thanks,

Jeff
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: AltimeterOne - contest elegibility?

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

jeffs wrote:Have any water rocketeers out there tried using a AltimeterOne in the realtime "curr" mode with a videocamera recording the altitude in flight? I am in the process of replacing the cracked LCD on mine, & plan to try this mode when up & running. Would such a set-up be eligible for the world record contests? The rules say "So-called "Peak Altitude" altimeters are also unacceptable because they are subject to false peak readings caused by external factors." Ideally, if the AltimeterOne's display could be positioned & be in focus within the camera outside view of the ascent, that would be nice. Wouldn't this be an accurate recording of the flight, getting around the chance of a false peak reading? Thanks,

Jeff

It seems like this might work, if you can get the camera to focus on the LCD digits. The close quarters inside the rocket make it had to focus on the things inside.

It is also quite true that barometric altimeters have false peak readings. Often our altimeters will flash out a really impressive altitude and when we dump the log it shows that the shock of hitting the ground causes the reading to jump higher than the rocket went. Without the logging ability, we would have thought the rocket was much higher than it actually went.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison