Little help with battery leads

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
joesf
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Little help with battery leads

Post by joesf »

I am going to be assembling the ServoChron and I was thinking of using 2 ZIPPY 70mAh 20C single cell in parallel because I kind of jumped the gun on ordering and ordered 4 of them instead of the recommended Turnigy 138mAh 1S 10C LiPo Cell(I have been reading a lot on water rockets in general the past two days and have gotten some info crossed) and was just wondering what sort of pigtail or adapter I should order because I didn't know what the connection for these batteries was called and I would like to be able to recharge the batteries so i wanted to stay away from soldering directly to the leads of the batteries.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Little help with battery leads

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

joesf wrote:I am going to be assembling the ServoChron and I was thinking of using 2 ZIPPY 70mAh 20C single cell in parallel because I kind of jumped the gun on ordering and ordered 4 of them instead of the recommended Turnigy 138mAh 1S 10C LiPo Cell(I have been reading a lot on water rockets in general the past two days and have gotten some info crossed) and was just wondering what sort of pigtail or adapter I should order because I didn't know what the connection for these batteries was called and I would like to be able to recharge the batteries so i wanted to stay away from soldering directly to the leads of the batteries.
That battery has no connector on it. The tabs on that battery are meant to be soldered to directly. If you want to add a connector, you can take one of the battery leads called out in the ServoChron manual and use the discarded side as a battery lead. Those leads are male/female extensions so the discarded end can serve as a battery lead. Just carefully solder it to the tabs on the battery and wrap some tape on the battery to cover the joints.
Willem
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Willem »

I had problems with batteries which just had two soldering tabs. Short Circuit and things like that. So, I replaced the batteries with just two leads with a 600mAh battery which has two cables and a connector coming out of it. That makes things a lot easier, with the newer ServoChron boards you can plug the battery straight into the board, without any problems at all! There also is no risk of cables coming loose using those jumper cables & connectors.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Willem wrote:I had problems with batteries which just had two soldering tabs. Short Circuit and things like that. So, I replaced the batteries with just two leads with a 600mAh battery which has two cables and a connector coming out of it. That makes things a lot easier, with the newer ServoChron boards you can plug the battery straight into the board, without any problems at all! There also is no risk of cables coming loose using those jumper cables & connectors.
We would pit tape over one of the tabs and solder the other one ad then put heat shrink tubing over the soldered lead. Then take the tape off and solder the other one and put shrink tubing on the second joint, A little electrical tape holds things tight together so the tabs do not get yanked out. It works great!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
rayrocket

Post by rayrocket »

i have a question about the servochron firmware can I use a 9 volt battery with just one servo. i need help with that. If anybody tried it.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

rayrocket wrote:i have a question about the servochron firmware can I use a 9 volt battery with just one servo. i need help with that. If anybody tried it.
If you want to use a 9V battery, your best bet is to order a 5 volt regulator to step it down to 5V for the servo. The 7805 is a really common and easy to use regulator. If you google for "7805 regulator" you will find a billion or so links showing how to use the regulator and where people buy them.

A lot of people power the MSP430 Launchpad from a 9V battery, but you shouldn't power the servo with that voltage.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison