Idea for launch detect

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Daz555

Idea for launch detect

Post by Daz555 »

I am building a new 6l rocket and will be utilising a MSP430 launchpad and associated servos etc.

I have been thinking about a possible launch detect idea and am interested in people's thoughts.

I am planning to use a standard "push button" switch to start the timer circuit. What will press the switch you ask?

My idea is to mount the switch just below my 9v battery and have the battery mounted with some movement permitted so that on launch it will move down a few mm due to inertia and press the button.

Anyone done this? Anyone found it a disaster? Should I give it a go?
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Idea for launch detect

Post by WRA2 »

I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work. PH:

Give it a try and post your results.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Daz555 wrote:I am building a new 6l rocket and will be utilising a MSP430 launchpad and associated servos etc.

I have been thinking about a possible launch detect idea and am interested in people's thoughts.

I am planning to use a standard "push button" switch to start the timer circuit. What will press the switch you ask?

My idea is to mount the switch just below my 9v battery and have the battery mounted with some movement permitted so that on launch it will move down a few mm due to inertia and press the button.

Anyone done this? Anyone found it a disaster? Should I give it a go?
That's actually a clever use for the weight of the battery. Putting the otherwise dead weight to use is a great idea!
smubbly
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by smubbly »

Hi, Brilliant.
I am building a 9 Litre with the launchpad as well. I will use this idea. How about those little pcb mounted switches, ahh, where is that old dvd player...
Using 3.7V ex Blackberry phone battery.
Building a vero board equivalent to not send the programmer board into space ! Love the ideas on this site.

Regards
Mark

Pics to follow..
Daz555

Post by Daz555 »

I'm so busy at the moment with work and family in the last few weeks I have not had any time to work on rockets. I have bought a simple panel pushbutton switch and it looks like the spring is about right in that it holds a 9v battery comfortably but will certainly give enough during launch to allow it to depress fully.

I have all the parts I need now - including a new soldering iron.......now if only I could order spare time on ebay......
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

smubbly wrote:Hi, Brilliant.
I am building a 9 Litre with the launchpad as well. I will use this idea. How about those little pcb mounted switches, ahh, where is that old dvd player...
Using 3.7V ex Blackberry phone battery.
Building a vero board equivalent to not send the programmer board into space ! Love the ideas on this site.

Regards
Mark

Pics to follow..
It is possible to make a lighter ServoChron without any circuit board at all!
ServoChron Lite(tm)
ServoChron Lite(tm)
lite.jpg (179.43 KiB) Viewed 60 times
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote: It is possible to make a lighter ServoChron without any circuit board at all!
lite.jpg
Did y'all post the details on how to do that somewhere and I'm just missing it? I have a bunch of extra 430 chips and would like to make a bunch of "add on" parachute modules for standard single bottle rockets.

Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets wrote: It is possible to make a lighter ServoChron without any circuit board at all!
lite.jpg
Did y'all post the details on how to do that somewhere and I'm just missing it? I have a bunch of extra 430 chips and would like to make a bunch of "add on" parachute modules for standard single bottle rockets.

Thanks,

Bugwubber
We had documented it informally and were preparing a new article describing it in detail, but with so many projects to work on we haven't had time to complete it. We should have something ready soon. You know how it is with so many things to do.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:
bugwubber wrote:
lite.jpg

Thanks,

Bugwubber
We had documented it informally and were preparing a new article describing it in detail, but with so many projects to work on we haven't had time to complete it. We should have something ready soon. You know how it is with so many things to do.
Oh sure no problem, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing it somewhere. Thanks!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

So many projects, so little time.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison