QUICK RELEASE METHOD

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
boondocksjp
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

QUICK RELEASE METHOD

Post by boondocksjp »

:?: Looking to pick some of the great rocket minds out there, I'm just getting started and I have my first launcher assembled. My problem is in the quick connect (garden hose) My first rocket I used the male connect right onto a 7-up bottle. the fit wasn't air tight, so I used a little jb weld. The seal was good but upon lift off, It took a very hard arc, indicating what I think was maybe too much weight on one side of cap. My second try was to cut the male adapter, and put it inside the cap. This time I didn't have a good seal. I had to cut the adapters threads away with a dremal to fit inside the cap.
ANY THOUGHTS ON SUBJECT? of using quick connect and how to use bottle cap? I like the brass connects, but can't find a plastic male to fit into brass female connect. thinks for the time.
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: QUICK RELEASE METHOD

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Hey there,

I use the Gardena method as well and I sure had some problems too...
That's one of my early nozzle designs, as yours it leaked.
DSC05497.JPG
Now I make them like that: I use the male gardena as it comes and cut a new thread (3/4") in the bottle neck.
Here's how: With a hot knife I "melt" the existing PET-thread and make it even. then I cut the new thread. Very simple actually. Then I wrap some tape to make it tight around it and simply screw the the male gardena on.
mini-DSC06086.JPG
Here's a close up:
mini-DSC05581.JPG
As you I use a female brass connect. I never a the problem that the male didn't fit though.
mini-DSC05822.JPG
mini-DSC05483.JPG
Here is also a video about my launcher. Maybe this helps too:
[youtube][/youtube]
About the stability: Try glueing some weight to the nose and/or add fins.

Hope this helps

Christian
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

This is my metod with 9 mm male gardena:

1 - With a hot knife melt the existing PET-thread
2 - Sand the area until it becomes even.
3 - Screw the male part and see if it fits correctly
4 - Remove the gardena.
5 - Put any super-glue on the melted area of the PET (doesn´t need to be poliuterane)
6 - Insert the the gardena.
7 - Wait 1h and then test it. That´s it !
Research and Development is the soul of WR
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

RaZias wrote:This is my metod with 9 mm male gardena:

4 - Remove the gardena.
5 - Put any super-glue on the melted area of the PET (doesn´t need to be poliuterane)
You can take the threads off a bottle really quickly with a grinding wheel. You can even get one that mounts in a regular hand drill. It would be faster than melting and sanding the threads off.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:

4 - Remove the gardena.
You can take the threads off a bottle really quickly with a grinding wheel. You can even get one that mounts in a regular hand drill. It would be faster than melting and sanding the threads off.
That's right. I did that too but then it was just a tiny bit too small. That's why I melt it now. It fits perfectly!
Alex

Post by Alex »

ah the nozzle, the main Obstacle for me....sigh.....oh well, Maybe i'll shove a piece of Card board in a cone shape up the neck and see if that works :lol:

:cry:
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

I can second on Chris´ method: Cement the male coupler over the throat of the bottle. Don´t use a cap.

I see that you have both a Dremel and JB Weld, so you are set to go!

Regards
Soren
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

chriswaterrockets wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:

4 - Remove the gardena.
That's right. I did that too but then it was just a tiny bit too small. That's why I melt it now. It fits perfectly!
Your message reminded me of an idea I used years ago to put threads on a PVC pipe when the threads were stripped. That time it worked very well and I thought it might work on a bottle.

I took an old hose nozzle that is made out of brass. I removed the rubber gaskets and then heated it up with a propane torch. Once it was very hot I screwed it onto the top of a bottle and it melted the existing threads into the shape of the brass nozzle threads. After it cooled off, I unscrewed the brass nozzle and screwed on a gardena connector and it went on perfectly. If glue were to be applied to the threads I think it would be perfect.
Bill W.
Team Seneca