Help! I need a Altimeter!

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Help! I need a Altimeter!

Post by bugwubber »

Tony wrote:I got my HK-A yesterday. Actually, it's an FD-A relabeled for HobbyKing as the HK-A, but that's another story. I also got 2 key chain cameras (and a couple servos)... downloaded the Win7 (64bit) Driver and the interface software. Install was flawless and only took a few minutes. It took longer to realize I needed to use a Google Search to obtain them than it took to get everything installed. I hooked the battery up and tested it this morning. The base altitude is incorrect (it's in the ballpark, though not exactly correct), but the distance traveled seems to be dead on. I don't know if it can be re-calibrated, but I'm not looking for the exact elevation, just the difference between launch pad and apogee, so I don't know if I'll even bother looking to recal.

I hope there is no wind on my next day off.... I have a few new toys.
My gps says 1068 ft, the altimeter says something like 300ft. Will have to figure out how to recalibrate. I like how it can sense the temp change between my basement and upstairs.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

My GPS says 4393'... Altimeter reads 4335' in my driveway, and 4348' in my upstairs workshop. Elevation is off, but the altitude change is close enough for me.
"Houston, we've had a problem..."
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Tony wrote:My GPS says 4393'... Altimeter reads 4335' in my driveway, and 4348' in my upstairs workshop. Elevation is off, but the altitude change is close enough for me.
Ok I found in the software, when you are at the graph view, you can change between relative and absolute alt and also move the line. Think I'll stick with relative. also found you can right click on the list of flights and individually export flights to csv files.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

bugwubber wrote:
Tony wrote:My GPS says 4393'... Altimeter reads 4335' in my driveway, and 4348' in my upstairs workshop. Elevation is off, but the altitude change is close enough for me.
Ok I found in the software, when you are at the graph view, you can change between relative and absolute alt and also move the line. Think I'll stick with relative. also found you can right click on the list of flights and individually export flights to csv files.
Yes you are right it messures relative altitude and that's just what we need it for. Someone on the RC Groups forum did a test between a Hobbyking altimeter and two RAM3 altimeters and the results are quite good, there's a bit more "noise" on the Hobbyking altimeter but the average relative altitude is close enough http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 179&page=5
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com