Small True HD Camera

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Small True HD Camera

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

By the way, what are you guys cooking up? Can you share any info on what to expect from your skunkworks?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:By the way, what are you guys cooking up? Can you share any info on what to expect from your skunkworks?
We have almost all of the footage we need to finish our new video, describing the new camera view of the rocket launching we devised. Nobody has ever dared to attempt this view before as far as we can tell. It's pretty amazing, and hopefully other people will like it enough that they try it as well. We'll show how we did it in the video.

We're hoping to get one or 2 more launches for the video where the rocket is centered more on the screen better. It's tricky to get it framed just right, and wind makes it all the more more tricky. The wind forecast this weekend looks promising, so be sure and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/uswaterrockets) if you want to be notified when it is uploaded!
quadview.png
quadview.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 54 times
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:By the way, what are you guys cooking up? Can you share any info on what to expect from your skunkworks?
We have almost all of the footage we need to finish our new video, describing the new camera view of the rocket launching we devised. Nobody has ever dared to attempt this view before as far as we can tell. It's pretty amazing, and hopefully other people will like it enough that they try it as well. We'll show how we did it in the video.

We're hoping to get one or 2 more launches for the video where the rocket is centered more on the screen better. It's tricky to get it framed just right, and wind makes it all the more more tricky. The wind forecast this weekend looks promising, so be sure and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/uswaterrockets) if you want to be notified when it is uploaded!
quadview.png
Ooooh! That looks interesting!!!! I can't wait to see it in motion.
Spaceman Spiff
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello all,

And interesting discussion you have been having here. I indeed would like to upgrade to and on board camera some time, thanks for posting this valuable information.

For quick info- I use the fly dv kite camera. It offers reasonable quality and doesn't weigh that much either. Plus it comes with a mounting bracket to help secure it to the payload bay made of the corroflute plastic.

Cheers
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jamie5335 wrote:Hello all,

And interesting discussion you have been having here. I indeed would like to upgrade to and on board camera some time, thanks for posting this valuable information.

For quick info- I use the fly dv kite camera. It offers reasonable quality and doesn't weigh that much either. Plus it comes with a mounting bracket to help secure it to the payload bay made of the corroflute plastic.

Cheers
Hi! Do you have a link to the Kite Camera you use? This is news to me and I would love to compare it to the other cameras. Thanks!
Spaceman Spiff
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets wrote:

quadview.png
Ooooh! That looks interesting!!!! I can't wait to see it in motion.

We had several days of great weather this past week, and we were able to get in a ton of launches!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:We had several days of great weather this past week, and we were able to get in a ton of launches!
By the way, have you guys heard from the Chen brothers at all recently? From what I can tell, they have not posted here in a long time. We used to email back and from time to time and so I looked up their addresses from an old mail message. I tried to email them both, but the messages bounced, so I think they changed providers or something. I'm curious to know how they are doing and what they have been up to.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:We had several days of great weather this past week, and we were able to get in a ton of launches!
By the way, have you guys heard from the Chen brothers at all recently? From what I can tell, they have not posted here in a long time. We used to email back and from time to time and so I looked up their addresses from an old mail message. I tried to email them both, but the messages bounced, so I think they changed providers or something. I'm curious to know how they are doing and what they have been up to.
Hi Spaceman,

I have not heard from them. Perhaps real life has them too busy or they relocated to a different city. I believe they were college students back when they were active on the forum so maybe they have graduated and started careers or families. I cannot give out member's email addresses but you could try sending them PM's (email addresses of forum members are kept private unlike those old fashioned mailing lists where every time you posted, your email address was exposed to everyone on the list such as spammers, identity thieves and hackers). The forum server will automatically send them emails notifying they received a PM from you. At the very least, the next time they decide to log in, they will get a notification if their email addresses have changed since they registered and they don't receive a notification email.

Oh and welcome back :W (I don't remember if I welcomed you as it is so busy here at times).
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

WRA2 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Hi Spaceman,

I have not heard from them. Perhaps real life has them too busy or they relocated to a different city. I believe they were college students back when they were active on the forum so maybe they have graduated and started careers or families. I cannot give out member's email addresses but you could try sending them PM's (email addresses of forum members are kept private unlike those old fashioned mailing lists where every time you posted, your email address was exposed to everyone on the list such as spammers, identity thieves and hackers). The forum server will automatically send them emails notifying they received a PM from you. At the very least, the next time they decide to log in, they will get a notification if their email addresses have changed since they registered and they don't receive a notification email.

Oh and welcome back :W (I don't remember if I welcomed you as it is so busy here at times).
Nice! That works for me. I will send each a PM and cross my fingers! Thanks for the advice!
Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Message sent! I hope they are still around!
Spaceman Spiff
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:We noticed the jelly lenses were prone to cracking if shocked, so the HK camera looked like a good alternative. Sadly, it did not have the same quality as the 808 Type #11 we already had. However, we found that the lens has the same thread pitch on the #11 and the HK camera, so we swapped the lens to the #11 (with a mod to the case) and it worked great.
I watched your "Seven Camera World Record" video and just had to comment what a great idea you guys had there, adding a wide angle lens to get in close to your deploy system and preserve the focus. This would be a great way to make a video of an onboard experiment or test! Thanks for sharing the idea! :grouphug:
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

I am impressed with the change the new lens made. I have never seen the lens upgrade sold anywhere. Where did you get it? I may look into it if I ever get anymore cameras. Do you know if the lens will fit a MD80? I got several of those.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Message sent! I hope they are still around!
Did you heard anything back in response???
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

DogLover wrote:I am impressed with the change the new lens made. I have never seen the lens upgrade sold anywhere. Where did you get it? I may look into it if I ever get anymore cameras. Do you know if the lens will fit a MD80? I got several of those.
You can find them on ebay for cheap, or you can go to one of the import sales sites like alibaba.com and find them there. Look under accessories for cell phones.They have other lenses too that do special effects like multiple images and vignette images, and that sort of thing, but you just want to look for a wide angle version. They work great with the MD80 and the 808 cameras. We have used both. Our "7 cameras video" rocket used one for a wide external view showing the parachute system, and there also was a second one inside the rocket to show the ServoChron in action. It brings the focus up close so you can see the ServoChron up close, even though the camera is inside the same bottle looking at the board 3 inches away.

You can also get similar lenses made from real glass, that are a bit nicer video quality, but they are heavier and bulkier. We used the jelly ones because they were safer in an explosion.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Team Seneca wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:We noticed the jelly lenses were prone to cracking if shocked, so the HK camera looked like a good alternative. Sadly, it did not have the same quality as the 808 Type #11 we already had. However, we found that the lens has the same thread pitch on the #11 and the HK camera, so we swapped the lens to the #11 (with a mod to the case) and it worked great.
I watched your "Seven Camera World Record" video and just had to comment what a great idea you guys had there, adding a wide angle lens to get in close to your deploy system and preserve the focus. This would be a great way to make a video of an onboard experiment or test! Thanks for sharing the idea! :grouphug:
Thanks. That was the whole idea. We've recorded a lot of test flights over the years of various experimental components, and it works great to see everything in focus from such a close separation. Feel free to conduct your own tests with this setup!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page