ServoChron without MSP430 Launchpad

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: ServoChron without MSP430 Launchpad

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

DogLover wrote:Thanks for that USWR! That will be helpful.

-DogLover

Keep in mind that the design only has one LED and so you cannot rely on the LED for status the same as you can with the pair. It operates a little differently because of the way it is connected, so the main reason for including it at all was so you could see the timer was alive and ready.
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

bugwubber wrote:My current setup has power going from the battery separately to the board, the servos, an altimeter, and lights so that the servos get all the power they want even though my HXT900s work just fine powered from the board.
For low voltage, have you looked at these?
I'd like to take advantage of available pins on the board to power my altimeter, but I don't know if it is possible... or how to do it. I had never heard of the MSP430 before USWR's website... bought 2 of them right away (work great, too)... I can run all the wires but can't manipulate the code, it's a far cry from BASIC and HTML, so I'm probably SOL. A guy can still dream, right?
"Houston, we've had a problem..."
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote: As promised, here's a draft of the ServoChron(tm) Lite Schematic. This design does work well on the bench. We have not tested this in a real launch, so just be aware it is still in testing. This design is an evolution of one we did test, and that one worked, but this one has a ton of parts removed to make it easier to build and smaller.

http://www.uswaterrockets.com/shared/Se ... inary).pdf

Our primary landing area is now totally off limits as the ice is very thin, so we are not able to launch. Our backup areas are still covered in snow. It could be a couple of weeks before we can launch again.

Let us know how you make out!
So I expected everything except R2 and its connections. Can't figure out why you have it there.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Tony wrote:
bugwubber wrote:My current setup has power going from the battery separately to the board, the servos, an altimeter, and lights so that the servos get all the power they want even though my HXT900s work just fine powered from the board.
I'd like to take advantage of available pins on the board to power my altimeter, but I don't know if it is possible... or how to do it. I had never heard of the MSP430 before USWR's website... bought 2 of them right away (work great, too)... I can run all the wires but can't manipulate the code, it's a far cry from BASIC and HTML, so I'm probably SOL. A guy can still dream, right?
Did you some how get your hands on the code itself? I have been trying to get that and I haven't been able to.

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Tony wrote:
That would be nice- a version of servochron that looks altimeter data and triggers after peak altitude. That sort of thing already exists out on the market though. The purpose of servochron was to be the $12 solution. Wish my coding skills weren't limited to HTML3.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
uberpixel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by uberpixel »

bugwubber wrote:So I expected everything except R2 and its connections. Can't figure out why you have it there.
I realize that this is an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out why the ServoChron Lite schematic includes R1 (200 ohm) and R2 (1.0 Kohm)? Also, shouldn't R3 be 47 Kohm not 4.7 Kohm?

All of the information I can find on using the MSP430 standalone (as well as the TI schematic for the Launchpad) do not include these additional R1/R2 resistors and show 47K instead of 4.7K. There are some capacitors on RST pin shown on the TI schematic, but from what I've read, they are not generally needed with battery power.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

-uberpixel
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

uberpixel wrote:
bugwubber wrote:So I expected everything except R2 and its connections. Can't figure out why you have it there.
I realize that this is an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out why the ServoChron Lite schematic includes R1 (200 ohm) and R2 (1.0 Kohm)? Also, shouldn't R3 be 47 Kohm not 4.7 Kohm?

All of the information I can find on using the MSP430 standalone (as well as the TI schematic for the Launchpad) do not include these additional R1/R2 resistors and show 47K instead of 4.7K. There are some capacitors on RST pin shown on the TI schematic, but from what I've read, they are not generally needed with battery power.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

-uberpixel
The Lite version was not intended to be a copy of the LaunchPad board, but the most minimal version that could be made and still be compatible and functional. Some of the parts were changed because the values are NOT critical and represent what we had on hand. If you build it as it is designmed, it will work. Don't sweat the minor changes.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
motorcyclepilot
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by motorcyclepilot »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:
bugwubber wrote:
DogLover wrote:What I am thinking of is hooking just the battery, servo, and launch detect switch up to a DIP socket and then put the chip in that. Then if I want to reprogram the chip, I just put it into a Launchpad and reset the time or servo position. That way it is a really small package. One thing, can I get a link to the 3.7v servos? I can't seem to find them. I ordered some Hobby King HK15178's a while ago and they don't work with the board. I suppose because they require too high of voltage. any help is appreciated.

-DogLover
My current setup has power going from the battery separately to the board, the servos, an altimeter, and lights so that the servos get all the power they want even though my HXT900s work just fine powered from the board.
Nice find with those servos. We havw not seen those before. We will check them out next time we're padding out an order that is underweight. :wink:

As promised, here's a draft of the ServoChron(tm) Lite Schematic. This design does work well on the bench. We have not tested this in a real launch, so just be aware it is still in testing. This design is an evolution of one we did test, and that one worked, but this one has a ton of parts removed to make it easier to build and smaller.

http://www.uswaterrockets.com/shared/Se ... inary).pdf

Our primary landing area is now totally off limits as the ice is very thin, so we are not able to launch. Our backup areas are still covered in snow. It could be a couple of weeks before we can launch again.

Let us know how you make out!

I've been communicating with Uberpixel about this for a while when I found this thread today. The link to the PDF is dead. Are you still sharing it? I could REALLY use some direction in this area.

Thanks

Found it! http://www.uswaterrockets.com/shared/Se ... ematic.pdf