Why does my altimeter graph look like it hit a bird?

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Why does my altimeter graph look like it hit a bird?

Post by bugwubber »

This was my first launch session with an onboard altimeter. The graph seems to have a less than parabolic arch to apogee.
RocketLaunch.JPG
RocketLaunch.JPG (77.94 KiB) Viewed 97 times
The altimeter was wrapped loosely in fabric and stuffed into the payload bottle which has cutouts at the bottom on either side of the neck.

I haven't drilled any holes in the side of the rocket but the fairing is not sealed against the bottom pressure bottle.

The onboard launch video for this particular launch starts at 60sec:
[youtube][/youtube]

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Why does my altimeter graph look like it hit a bird?

Post by bugwubber »

And here's a good picture showing how the payload bottle is attached to the pressure bottle. The bottles unscrew from the cap to come apart.
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 94 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Hi bugwubber,

maybe the cutouts of the payloadbay are to big, the highspeed air flowing along the cutouts could cause a low pressure in the payloadbay.
You can see similar peaks in your graph when the rocket is tumbling down, sometimes the wind will blow directly into the cutouts causing a high pressure in the payloadbay and somtimes wind will flow over the cutouts causing a lower pressure in the payloadbay.
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

I agree with arjan that it's probably your pressure sampling "holes". If I understand correctly, your only holes to the outside are at the bottom of the fairing between the payload bottle and the pressure bottle? That looks like a spot that would be subject to a lot of turbulence to me. I would cover up the holes in the neck of the payload bottle and drill some small holes in the side. It might not be the cause of your entire problem, but I think it's the most likely cause and it's easy enough to try out.

From the paint, I take it that your altimeter is not exposed to direct sunlight? I found out through trial and error that the pressure sensors are really sensitive to direct sunlight, but it shouldn't cause anything like the shape of your graph.

Alex
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Thanks, I'll try drilling a hole in the side . I was wondering if that configuration might create a slight vacuum on launch and that appears to be the case- providing a false early high that corrected as it slowed down?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

You need to have the location of the air holes for the altimeter in an area of the rocket body with straight sides, and one of more rocket diameter away from any body transition or seam. Use one or more evenly spaced air holes at the same place around the circumference. Always make sure these are the only air holes that can reach the altimeter.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:You need to have the location of the air holes for the altimeter in an area of the rocket body with straight sides, and one of more rocket diameter away from any body transition or seam. Use one or more evenly spaced air holes at the same place around the circumference. Always make sure these are the only air holes that can reach the altimeter.
Thanks that helps. So sounds like if I drill the holes in the middle of the 20oz bottle and seal the bottom fairing with a silicone glue I should be good- maybe.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Actually scratch that. after doing some measurements, I'm going to build another upper section with the longer 24oz bottle for the payload. That will definitely give me the "1 diameter away" distance from the transitions.

Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

A peak altimeter would eliminate all them nasty spikes. WO:
Nick and Dad B.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Nick B wrote:A peak altimeter would eliminate all them nasty spikes. WO:
You have a very valid point. The reasons for using a logging altimeter are 1. I am showing my kids how we can use math to calculate top speed and 2. I needed to prove that the parachute-less design is coming down at a speed within safety rules.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

And that's why they aren't allowed in the class A/B competitions.
These spikes can easily give a false peak altitude.
Arjan

bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

arjan wrote:
To clarify, you're saying the Peak Altimeters aren't allowed for the competitions (except the unreinforced 2liter as I remember they were specifically allowed)?

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

bugwubber wrote:
arjan wrote:
To clarify, you're saying the Peak Altimeters aren't allowed for the competitions (except the unreinforced 2liter as I remember they were specifically allowed)?

Bugwubber
Yes that's what I meant to say.

From the class A rules:
Rocket must carry onboard a mass produced recording ("Logging") altimeter to document the entire flight on a time vs. altitude graph to nonvolatile logging memory or telemetry to relay the altitude information to a remote logging receiver. Ground based and/or timing based altitude measurements are unacceptable.
So-called "Peak Altitude" altimeters are unacceptable as they are subject to false peak readings caused by:
  · Recovery system deployment.
  · Landing impact.
  · Improper installation.
  · Unstable flight characteristics.
Arjan

bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Ok well perhaps a discussion for another thread if you don't mind. I really didn't want to get in to debating rules and requirements here. Just asking for technical assistance on designing my rocket so the altimeter works correctly.

Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

bugwubber wrote:Ok well perhaps a discussion for another thread if you don't mind. I really didn't want to get in to debating rules and requirements here. Just asking for technical assistance on designing my rocket so the altimeter works correctly.

Thanks,

Bugwubber
AG

So back on topic.
bugwubber, is your new payload ready for launch?
Arjan