New ServoChron2 board layout

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

New ServoChron2 board layout

Post by Flash »

The Launchpad PCB board looks different than the US Rockets G switch one. My board has 5 holes in a row at one of it's ends near one of the corners. The USB hook up is across from it on the other corner. Will I be able to use these holes to mount the spring G switch designed by US Rockets?

Also, I'm guessing that the bouncing of this G Switch spring want effect the 430 during flight after it bumps the first time to tell the 430 a launch as taken place?

Thank you!!!
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: New ServoChron2 board layout

Post by Flash »

I think I understand were the G Spring switch goes now, remove the male pins in J2 row and solder it to pins P1.7 and J6 BND post hole after removing it's pin, right?

Flash
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Flash »

I mention J6 first GND for one end of G switch spring system.
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Flash wrote:The Launchpad PCB board looks different than the US Rockets G switch one. My board has 5 holes in a row at one of it's ends near one of the corners. The USB hook up is across from it on the other corner. Will I be able to use these holes to mount the spring G switch designed by US Rockets?

Also, I'm guessing that the bouncing of this G Switch spring want effect the 430 during flight after it bumps the first time to tell the 430 a launch as taken place?

Thank you!!!
The holes you mention sound like the connector holes for the external programming option. This connector is for backward compatibility with older MSP430 Kits and is not often used on the LaunchPad. The little connector is hard to find and expensive, so nobody uses it.

Also, the G-Switch triggers the timer on first contact and subsequent closures will be ignored. Depending on your rocket and arming procedures, you may want o scale up the switch design and/or add a weight to the spring to change the sensitivity. You need to experiment to make sure you don't make it too sensitive and handling the rocket sets it off.

You can test all this without the servo in hand, so the delay in getting a 3V servo does not block progress.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Flash wrote:I mention J6 first GND for one end of G switch spring system.
It sounds from the description you gave above that you have it right.

Some people don't bother removing the pins from the pin header connectors, but we don't like them because the are fragile and exposed conductors. If removing the pins is a chore, you can always just cut them off with good wire cutters.
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Flash »

Big thank you to US rockets!!!
Flash
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry