Any one using RC deployment?

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Any one using RC deployment?

Post by Flash »

How effective is using RC control deployment as compared to 430 deployment?
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Any one using RC deployment?

Post by bugwubber »

Flash wrote:How effective is using RC control deployment as compared to 430 deployment?
From this test it sounds like range probably isn't an issue but should still be checked. Don't think it violates any contest rules.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

I have used RC deployment several times. The only reason that I am not using right now is because the receiver burnt up when I accidentally hooked up the battery wrong. If you already have a Transmitter/Receiver then you are good to go, as long as it is not 72 or 49 Mhz. I highly recommend that you get yourself a 2.5Ghz Tx/Rx. I got mine from Hobby King. Here is a link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... de_2_.html

That one works great, as long as you don't hook the battery up incorrectly!!!
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
apex1302

Post by apex1302 »

I am using a cheap chinese RC (http://www.ebay.de/itm/Fernsteuerung-Ha ... 3f277736df) as a backup in case my flightcomputer fails.
My flightcompter uses an altimeter, gyros and a timer. Until now I never hat to use the RC chute release while in the air. On a field I could test the RC and it worked fine for about 100m. How good it works during flight is untested until now.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Flash wrote:How effective is using RC control deployment as compared to 430 deployment?
An R/C deploy should be essentially just as effective at deploying the parachute, provided that you have a good quality transmitter and receiver. You will find that the tricky part is getting the servo to deploy the parachute, not how the servo is activated.

The drawback of a servo timer is that you have to know what time to set and you then have to set it properly before you fly. If you have an unusual flight, you can't change the deploy time and so you can't compensate for a flight deviation.

The drawback of the R/C deploy system is probably the price. If you don't already have a transmitter and receiver on hand, it can cost quite a bit to get this system up and running. Another drawback is that you will need someone to control the deploy with the transmitter, so you may find this extra ground task takes away from something else your crew could be doing, like taking video or photographs.

The servo timer like our ServoChron is more or less "fire and forget", so you can do other things and not worry about when to deploy.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello There,

I use the a rc unit to deploy my parachute. My release system is basically identical to Air Command Rockets deployment system on there tutorial, except I don't use a timer as I feel that most launches are unique. Plus the altitude of the rocket can be significantly changed by how late or early you deploy the parachutes so I believe that it is best to have a reliable way of deploying the parachute from the ground using a rc unit and your knowledge of when to deploy the chute- is just after the peek of flight. I used a micro receiver from a rc boat, a micro servo of eBay, and a lithium battery of ebay! It isn't that much money and for me is a no brainer!

Hope that helped!
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello There,

I use the a rc unit to deploy my parachute. My release system is basically identical to Air Command Rockets deployment system on there tutorial, except I don't use a timer as I feel that most launches are unique. Plus the altitude of the rocket can be significantly changed by how late or early you deploy the parachutes so I believe that it is best to have a reliable way of deploying the parachute from the ground using a rc unit and your knowledge of when to deploy the chute- is just after the peek of flight. I used a micro receiver from a rc boat, a micro servo of eBay, and a lithium battery of ebay! It isn't that much money and for me is a no brainer!

Hope that helped!
JSB Rocketry

Jamie Bignell,
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Jamie5335 wrote:Hello There,

Hope that helped!
What kind of range does your setup have? If you are using a receiver from a cheap toy, would it have really limited range? there are some pretty inexpensive receivers with digital signaling available, but the transmitters can be a bit pricy.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

I see your point,

In our local town of Yeovil, there is a brilliant rc store called Hobby Hanger that sell the receivers I can remember the name of the top of my head- but the fact is I can use the unit for the rocket and the rc boat- so it cuts costs a bit. I have tested the range and it works up to the maximum length of our playing field, and in the boat it goes miles!!

Cheers,
JSB Rocketry

Jamie Bignell,
Somerset UK