Rocket Recovery Timer 1

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Rocket Recovery Timer 1

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello All,

After a few months of exams I am done and have had some time for rockets!

Because I do GCSE Electronics I have made a very simple Servo Timer (in some ways by accident, as it was a Buzzer timer, for a simple RC plane locator!).

I have called it the RRT1 (Rocket Recovery Timer 1) and have added a programming socket to the PCB to allow easy changes to the PICAXE 08M2 program. The settings such as Timing delay and Servo positions are changed in the actual program, the downside meaning if you want to change the settings you need a computer at the launch site!!
RRT1 (compressed).JPG
RRT1 (compressed).JPG (37.88 KiB) Viewed 73 times
The Timer can use up to 6 volts, however we have been using a Single cell 3.7 volt Lipo batteries as these are very light and small.

It drives 1 standard RC servo, and has no complex components such as voltage regulators, thus meaning a very simple design of around 5 grams.

The timer has a pair of trigger contacts that allow any type of input to trigger the timer, you can change the settings for an on or off trigger so you can use a breakwire or a G-Switch, we have been using a breakwire.

It has 2 LEDs, a Red Power LED and a Green ARM LED, these can also be changed around! The Red LED will light after a set amount of time saying that the rocket is ready to launch. Once launched this LED goes out.

After the set delay timer the servo activates and releases the door to release the parachute into the airstream, after another 5 seconds the Servo moves back to the starting position for re-packing the chute for the next flight, to reset the timer just turn it off, after you collect the rocket.
RRT Diagram.png
RRT Diagram.png (159.86 KiB) Viewed 73 times
This timer is obviously not as advanced as other Servo timers that fellow rocketeers have developed, but hey, this is our first!!

Because of this we will be developing the timer as time goes on, one day having a more user friendly timer that we could sell!

Please feel free to comment and give some constructive criticism, please note I will have a Youtube Video out soon demonstrating the general operation of the timer.

Jamie B
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: RRT1

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Looks good! I don't know much because I use Tomy Timers but from what I know it might work!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Thanks,

We have never used the Tomy Timer but the idea ticks all the boxes- cheap, reliable and lightweight! I hope it works too!
JSB Rocketry

Jamie Bignell,
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Very good job on the timer, Jamie!

Just wondering, how much does the whole timer weigh, including the battery? Will it be able to fit in a T12 FTC Rocket? Good luck with your flights of this new timer, looking Forward to the video. :-)

-Randy
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Good question. I didn't think of that. The board looks a bit big for T12 FTC of great for PET. Do you own an altimeter?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello Randy & Water Rocket Expert,

Nice to hear from you!

The timer weighs ~6 grams, and with the single cell Lipo it all comes to around 10 grams.

We have never used any FTC for our rockets so I wouldn't know if it would fit- all I can tell you are the dimensions of the timer here in the image below, I have put a 2 pence coin in for help with scaling (don't be alarmed by the colour of this RRT1, this one we etched at school- but it functions exactly the same way as the one in the picture at the top of the page!
RRT1 size.png
RRT1 size.png (596.34 KiB) Viewed 45 times
We do own an Altimeter- just a simple Hobbyking Altimeter that runs of another Lipo that you can plug into the computer to give you a simple Altitude vs Time graph, here it is mounted in the fairing on the right, (along with the camera on the left):
DSC01712 c.jpg
DSC01712 c.jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Hope that helps!

Jamie B
JSB Rocketry

Jamie Bignell,
Somerset UK