ServoChron Instructions

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: ServoChron Instructions

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well is that 180 psi or 400? Stop playing games. I am typing with a wounded finger.
USWR keeps their pressures a secret. I thought you would know this by now.
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well is that 180 psi or 400? Stop playing games. I am typing with a wounded finger.
I'm not a member of that group and I'm not aware that they released that information. Probably much higher.

Their comments seem to indicate that x12 wasn't pressurized to 3000psi though. So there's your range. ;-)
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I decided that I would use a nine volt battery for the launch pad board. I ordered the board directly from Texas Instruments, a servo, a female servo lead to solder to the board, and a bunch of nine volt battery connectors to solder to the board as well. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I hear that you can cut the board in half for FTC rockets. Is that correct? Is there a program I need to put on it? I will make the switch my self. How do I activate the board at launch?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I decided that I would use a nine volt battery for the launch pad board. I ordered the board directly from Texas Instruments, a servo, a female servo lead to solder to the board, and a bunch of nine volt battery connectors to solder to the board as well. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I hear that you can cut the board in half for FTC rockets. Is that correct? Is there a program I need to put on it? I will make the switch my self. How do I activate the board at launch?
You need to carefully read the manual. It explains everything with plenty of illustrations and a lot of text.

http://www.uswaterrockets.com/documents ... manual.htm

In the manual, you will find the link that explains how to download the FREE software from our website.

If you read the manual, we also recommend against using the 9V battery. Using a battery with less than 6 volts is recommended for the past couple of years because we found people using any old servo were having issues when using the 9V battery.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I got the servo on ebay will it burn out with the nine volt? Or will the board burn out?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I got the servo on ebay will it burn out with the nine volt? Or will the board burn out?
If you wire it up the way the latest instructions show, then the servo will probably burn up at 9V.

You can't hurt the board with the battery or the servo, but random servos from ebay may work unreliably with 9V and are likely to not deploy, crash, and wreck the board too.

The manual goes into detail about the correct voltages and servos.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Okay I really need help. I have purchased a servo motor, an msp430 board (the first was DOA so I had them send me another for free. Great company!) battery, connector, servo lead and I already owned the iron and solder. I wired it up as said and looked, downloaded the elprotronic software the firmware and the drivers. Plugged it in and did Auto Program and it loaded. I have tried updates. This is what happens when powered up. The board with the mode button pressed down is powered on. Button is pressed to choose the start position of servo then held down one second. Did this again and set the deploy position. When releasing the button after the deploy position is set the LED turns SOLID GREEN. BO: NOT RED. I can do nothing after that. I would appreciate some help because update do not work and I have spent several hours fiddling with this.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Okay I really need help. I have purchased a servo motor, an msp430 board (the first was DOA so I had them send me another for free. Great company!) battery, connector, servo lead and I already owned the iron and solder. I wired it up as said and looked, downloaded the elprotronic software the firmware and the drivers. Plugged it in and did Auto Program and it loaded. I have tried updates. This is what happens when powered up. The board with the mode button pressed down is powered on. Button is pressed to choose the start position of servo then held down one second. Did this again and set the deploy position. When releasing the button after the deploy position is set the LED turns SOLID GREEN. BO: NOT RED. I can do nothing after that. I would appreciate some help because update do not work and I have spent several hours fiddling with this.
It sounds like you are only setting the position for the first servo and not the second one. The firmware supports 2 servos, and so you have to set the positions and delays for both servos to complete the configuration process. If you ONLY HAVE ONE Servo, you still need to input some settings for the second one, which you can easily do with no second servo connected (you can make random settings for the second servo with nothing connected and it will be fine).
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Your getting me there with that tip, but can you explain that because that is not what was shown in the video of it being programmed which is what I followed.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

FIXED!!!!!!!!!1111 You know how happy I am. Your little tip did the trick and now I know how. A bigggggggg thanks!
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Your getting me there with that tip, but can you explain that because that is not what was shown in the video of it being programmed which is what I followed.
The video is from the old ServhoChron (Single Servo). We've added a second servo because a lot of people suggested that it would be a nice feature to have and would make it better than commercially available servo timers that needed to add a board for each servo.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:FIXED!!!!!!!!!1111 You know how happy I am. Your little tip did the trick and now I know how. A bigggggggg thanks!
Great to hear. Glad you got it going!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Now to find a better power supply. My small 3.7 volt parkzones are dead and the nine volt is too much power for the board. It flashes when I put on a brand new duracell and works with an old one.