looking into the past

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

looking into the past

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

As I browsed the forum, I considered the rules for the altitude competition. I read what this guy had to say http://www.waterrocketforum.com/(check the last comment on the first page). WR is becoming so technically advanced that only the professional groups and teams with lots of money and abilities can compete. I would love to go for a record, but then I obviously can't afford the carbon tube like USWR and I also can't afford the tanks and the line and the fiberglass cloth and the expensive glue. I don't have a place to race a car well and I can't afford the RC servo control. If I made ski's I certainly can't make mine go 843' like bugwubber says it would have to go and I don't even have a snowy field or pond that long. I don't have a boat to put markers in the water for a WR boat and I can't retrieve it if I launch it. I am not loaded and am acknowledging that WR has now become a competition for teams that have money time and more money and time like USWR and Air command. I cannot afford a rotisserie or the glue or the epoxy or the lathe or the drill press or every tool I want. Neither can every other kid. That is why I, ask WRA2 to please consider creating a competition that would be fun for kids to compete in, without the technology involved that kids can['t afford.

Sincerely

Water Rocket Expert
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: looking into the past

Post by bugwubber »

Unreinforced bottle competition not interest you?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:As I browsed the forum, I considered the rules for the altitude competition. I read what this guy had to say http://www.waterrocketforum.com/(check the last comment on the first page). WR is becoming so technically advanced that only the professional groups and teams with lots of money and abilities can compete. I would love to go for a record, but then I obviously can't afford the carbon tube like USWR and I also can't afford the tanks and the line and the fiberglass cloth and the expensive glue. I don't have a place to race a car well and I can't afford the RC servo control. If I made ski's I certainly can't make mine go 843' like bugwubber says it would have to go and I don't even have a snowy field or pond that long. I don't have a boat to put markers in the water for a WR boat and I can't retrieve it if I launch it. I am not loaded and am acknowledging that WR has now become a competition for teams that have money time and more money and time like USWR and Air command. I cannot afford a rotisserie or the glue or the epoxy or the lathe or the drill press or every tool I want. Neither can every other kid. That is why I, ask WRA2 to please consider creating a competition that would be fun for kids to compete in, without the technology involved that kids can['t afford.

Sincerely

Water Rocket Expert
What about flight duration?

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Class_C_Rules.php

and as bugwubber mentioned the unreinforced bottle record:

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Class_D_Rules.php

both were created for reasons you mentioned.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

These are all still very complicated. Flight duration would mean reaching a very high altitude and then deploying a massive parachute or firing retro rockets. For me, and for mot people, keeping any water rocket in the air for more than 30 seconds would be insane. Even my best pyro can only stay up for about 50 seconds on 2 d engines firing at once. I will look further into the reinforced, but does it require a logging altimeter which I do not have. I am surprise WRA2 does not approve the altimeter 2 because the NAR does. The whole thing is okay, it just makes it a bit hard to compete. I have a question which I will PM you about WRA2.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

The rules for the reinforced also state that it must be made of a single 2 liter bottle. Or can I use a spliced one or what? Here is the quote:

Pressure vessel and fuselage of rocket must be constructed from a single unmodified soft drink bottle which cannot exceed 2 liters (labeled capacity) volume. (commercially produced stretched or modified bottles such as the U14 stretched water rocket bottle by Anti Gravity Research are not allowed)..
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

When it says a single unmodified bottle does it mean any possible 2 liter soft drink bottle they sell meaning a extra skinny two liter (let me not offend anyone) soft drink in the "Hispanic Isle."
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:These are all still very complicated. Flight duration would mean reaching a very high altitude and then deploying a massive parachute or firing retro rockets. For me, and for mot people, keeping any water rocket in the air for more than 30 seconds would be insane. Even my best pyro can only stay up for about 50 seconds on 2 d engines firing at once. I will look further into the reinforced, but does it require a logging altimeter which I do not have. I am surprise WRA2 does not approve the altimeter 2 because the NAR does. The whole thing is okay, it just makes it a bit hard to compete. I have a question which I will PM you about WRA2.
We do not do these things because they are easy but because they are they are hard.

You can compete in the unreinforced class with a peak altimeter.

And yes, any carbonated bev bottle (edit: 2liters or under) you can by in a store.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I know it is hard but it is not just hard meaning complicated, it can be hard on my wallet. You as an adult, (I think you are) have a good income I suppose that can help fund your activity. I on the other hand need to to handy work to get money.

So this might be doable if the rocket can only be made from one bottle. Am I correct?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I know it is hard but it is not just hard meaning complicated, it can be hard on my wallet. You as an adult, (I think you are) have a good income I suppose that can help fund your activity. I on the other hand need to to handy work to get money.

So this might be doable if the rocket can only be made from one bottle. Am I correct?
Actually I don't spend a lot on this hobby. I built my first RC airplane from a kit when I was 13. It was a bunch of balsa sheets and sticks that I had to cut and glue together. The entry price to that hobby was $400 buying used stuff. Membership to a flying field now runs $50-100 a year. And you still have to buy AMA insurance before they'll let you fly. Glo Fuel? $20 a gallon. I did a whole lot of not flying until I turned 16 because of that.

Anyway, the point is, you don't have to try and copy Aircommand or USWR right out of the gate. Slow down, and focus on enjoying the hobby. Decide for yourself what you like about this hobby. If you've got the components and knowledge together to compete for a world record, great but those competitions IMHO must remain secondary if you don't want to burn out of the hobby.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Well that is why I wanted a competition that doesn't require so much work. One that is fun and small. Easily gained but easily lost. I might try for the unreinforced forced bottle though but do you know if you can only use one bottle as the pressure vessel?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I was just wondering not to be rude but what age range are you now. I am guessing 30's or 40's but maybe any age. I want to know to figure out about the price of that RC planes hobby.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Okay I guess I was wrong. WRA2, so I am asking does the flight duration have to be with only 1 two liter bottle. So that would be fairly easy to make?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Okay I guess I was wrong. WRA2, so I am asking does the flight duration have to be with only 1 two liter bottle. So that would be fairly easy to make?
You have got to go read the rules carefully.

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Competitions.php

I. Water Rocket Flight Duration Competition General Design Parameters

Pressure vessel must be fabricated from a single unmodified 2 liter or less (labeled capacity) soft drink container. (a photo of the bottle with label will be included with your submission photos) The only modifications permitted are to change the nozzle size or to attach fins, payload section to the external surface of the bottle. The label can be removed after the bottle is photographed.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I was just wondering not to be rude but what age range are you now. I am guessing 30's or 40's but maybe any age. I want to know to figure out about the price of that RC planes hobby.
You can get a micro flyer from companies like parkzone now for under $200 (with radio) and fly it in your yard.

I actually bought one of the first electric trainers put out in kit form back in the late 80s. Underpowered, so I converted it to glo. They laughed when they saw a trainer with a tuned (racing) pipe. It would fly on idle.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well that is why I wanted a competition that doesn't require so much work. One that is fun and small. Easily gained but easily lost. I might try for the unreinforced forced bottle though but do you know if you can only use one bottle as the pressure vessel?
Actually the rules HAVE to be hard and complex to cover every possible "grey area" that a clever team trying to get an advantage will spend more time trying to find than building their rocket. When Anti Gravity flew to 1242 feet, they worked on their rocket (designing, testing and building for about a year). You appear to be looking for "instant gratification". Just remember that half the fun is the journey there.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2: