recomended altimeter Zlog mod4

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

recomended altimeter Zlog mod4

Post by TDFwaterrockets »

I strongly recommend this altimeter to anybody. It is accurate to 1 foot and has everything thing you need to use it. It is designed for RC planes so it doesn't need to detect a 40m/s speed acceleration to start recording so if your rocket has a slow take off then it will still record the flight. It doesn't include a battery holder so i had to cut the wires and then attach them to a battery. If you want a light weight battery then use an A23 battery.

here is a link to the main website:
http://www.hexpertsystems.com/zlog/
Attachments
zlogbig[1].jpg
zlogbig[1].jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: recomended altimeter Zlog mod4

Post by Mark Chen »

TDFwaterrockets wrote:I strongly recommend this altimeter to anybody. It is accurate to 1 foot and has everything thing you need to use it. It is designed for RC planes so it doesn't need to detect a 40m/s speed acceleration to start recording so if your rocket has a slow take off then it will still record the flight. It doesn't include a battery holder so i had to cut the wires and then attach them to a battery. If you want a light weight battery then use an A23 battery.

here is a link to the main website:
http://www.hexpertsystems.com/zlog/
That altimeter looks a lot smaller in your picture than it did on the website when we went shopping for ours. We thought that the glass LCD display would not survive a crash and so we didn't look hard at this model. Glad to see someone with experience using it would give a good review. Now people who are in the market have another recommendation.
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Hi Mark Chen

I heard that you think that the LCD screen would break if it crashed but I have had 3 crashes from over 250ft and nothing happened. The altimeter is very very strong and very light.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

TDFwaterrockets wrote:I strongly recommend this altimeter to anybody. It is accurate to 1 foot and has everything thing you need to use it. It is designed for RC planes so it doesn't need to detect a 40m/s speed acceleration to start recording so if your rocket has a slow take off then it will still record the flight. It doesn't include a battery holder so i had to cut the wires and then attach them to a battery. If you want a light weight battery then use an A23 battery.
Does that altimeter have an output on it for telemetry? We prefer the Perfectflite altimeters we use because the telemetry output can be fed into our onboard computer and transmitted by the R/F link to the ground. Thus, even in the event of a catastrophic crash we have a backup of the flight profile.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
air.command

Post by air.command »

Definitely a good quality altimeter. Certainly sensitive enough to detect the difference between having it on the floor, table or holding it above your head. We too went with this one because you don't need the fast acceleration to activate it.
USWR: yes it does provide a continuous altitude output. Here is a document that describes it's IO protocol:
http://www.hexpertsystems.com/zlog/Seri ... ol.3.0.pdf See the "Toggle Serial Port Logging" section of the document.
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

air.command wrote:Definitely a good quality altimeter. Certainly sensitive enough to detect the difference between having it on the floor, table or holding it above your head. We too went with this one because you don't need the fast acceleration to activate it.
USWR: yes it does provide a continuous altitude output. Here is a document that describes it's IO protocol:
http://www.hexpertsystems.com/zlog/Seri ... ol.3.0.pdf See the "Toggle Serial Port Logging" section of the document.
Thanks for the information, George. That's good to know. We've got several Perfectflite altimeters in our stable now, so we're not in the market for a new one but anyone else looking for one will find this a helpful review.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
Does that altimeter have an output on it for telemetry? We prefer the Perfectflite altimeters we use because the telemetry output can be fed into our onboard computer and transmitted by the R/F link to the ground. Thus, even in the event of a catastrophic crash we have a backup of the flight profile.
hi U.S. Water Rockets1

yes, it does come with a telemetry output which is included in the package.

from
TDFwaterrockets
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

TDFwaterrockets wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
hi U.S. Water Rockets1

yes, it does come with a telemetry output which is included in the package.

from
TDFwaterrockets
Thanks for the clarification!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Ripper
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ripper »

Their website states it as being out of stock due to some production problem. Anyone know if it's a major issue that will stop it from working, or when they're going to have it available?

All their dealers close to me in Europe have them in backorder, except maybe a site in France, but i'm not good confident enough in my French to buy something online...

Cheers
Christian
Christian
http://www.c-thomsen.dk/wrockets/
A5Ben
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by A5Ben »

Does anyone have an alternative to this? They still don't have them for sale.

Ben
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

A5Ben wrote:Does anyone have an alternative to this? They still don't have them for sale.

Ben
We really like the altimeters made by Perfectflite (http://www.perfectflite.com). They are very well made and the support is excellent.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
A5Ben
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by A5Ben »

Thanks, I really want to get one with the LCD as I am enjoying this hobby with my 8 year old son. I am also working a rocket competition into my sons Cub Scout pack next year (I'm the Cubmaster :-) )

The digital readout will keep things simple for the other boys.

Thanks,
Ben
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

A5Ben wrote:Thanks, I really want to get one with the LCD as I am enjoying this hobby with my 8 year old son. I am also working a rocket competition into my sons Cub Scout pack next year (I'm the Cubmaster :-) )

The digital readout will keep things simple for the other boys.

Thanks,
Ben
That's a good idea. You don't need a laptop or computer close by to read out the data and you don't have to teach the kids how to interpret the beeps from most other altimeters.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
A5Ben
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by A5Ben »

My thoughts exactly!

I'm getting some great ideas here and from some other sites I've found via Google. I'm working on boosters for our big rocket now to get it up higher. It's gonna be a fun summer with our new hobby. :)

Ben
WTF
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by WTF »

How much does that cost?