Pneumatic Deploy System

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Pneumatic Deploy System

Post by Tim Chen »

monboy10 wrote:sorry if this is a little off topic but you use a servo to bust a baloon that wuold then make the nose cone fall off
We thought of using a bit of nichrome wire to heat up and melt the balloon to do the same thing. It would be lighter. It's just something we have not had time to develop. Feel free to experiment with the concept if you think it would work!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

Tim Chen wrote:
monboy10 wrote:sorry if this is a little off topic but you use a servo to bust a baloon that wuold then make the nose cone fall off
We thought of using a bit of nichrome wire to heat up and melt the balloon to do the same thing. It would be lighter. It's just something we have not had time to develop. Feel free to experiment with the concept if you think it would work!
ok do you have any idea of how to make a senser that is simple and cheap to turn on a power source
Alex

Post by Alex »

I don't even know what ''Pnuematic'' means :(

But my advice is, do all the idea that come to you, eventually, one will work....That means lots of tests my friend :). So drink los of coffee....
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

Pnuematics are like hydraulics. hydraulics use liquids and Pnuematics use use gas.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

I just saw this thread now...

About pneumatic deployment: From my time as a potato cannon builder, I learned that valves in general are heavy. Also the PVC ones that I home built (but on the other hand they were darn fast, too). They will also not survive a crash.

I would suggest: Get a PVC "union" fitting. That is basically two flanged pipe ends with a rubber gasket between them, that are pressed against each other by some threaded parts around them.
Now cut a burst disk of some suitable material, and put it between the flanges of the union to block it. Invent some kind of percussion bolt or whatever, that causes the disk to rupture on servo command.

You can search for "burst disk hybrid potato gun" to see union burst disks.

Connect one end of the union to a compressed air bottle (via a short piece of 20 mm pipe maybe) and the other end to the parachute container (that could be another bottle with the bottom cut off).

On the other hand ... why shoot out a parachute with pressure? Mine have always blown overboard nicely and deployed when the nosecone over them came off.

Regards
Soren
Alex

Post by Alex »

Brian wrote:Pnuematics are like hydraulics. hydraulics use liquids and Pnuematics use use gas.
Oh
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

dongfang wrote:Hi,

I just saw this thread now...

About pneumatic deployment: From my time as a potato cannon builder, I learned that valves in general are heavy. Also the PVC ones that I home built (but on the other hand they were darn fast, too). They will also not survive a crash.

I would suggest: Get a PVC "union" fitting. That is basically two flanged pipe ends with a rubber gasket between them, that are pressed against each other by some threaded parts around them.
Now cut a burst disk of some suitable material, and put it between the flanges of the union to block it. Invent some kind of percussion bolt or whatever, that causes the disk to rupture on servo command.

You can search for "burst disk hybrid potato gun" to see union burst disks.

Connect one end of the union to a compressed air bottle (via a short piece of 20 mm pipe maybe) and the other end to the parachute container (that could be another bottle with the bottom cut off).

On the other hand ... why shoot out a parachute with pressure? Mine have always blown overboard nicely and deployed when the nosecone over them came off.

Regards
Soren
There are small lightweight pneumatic valves which are used on model aircraft to deploy landing gear which work well as rocket parachute deploy valves except they are somewhat costly and fragile. This might be an option if you think this is the kind of deploy you want to use.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison