Stabilizing Spin

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Stabilizing Spin

Post by Mark Chen »

Hi peeps!

Does anybody have ideas how to make our rocket spin less? We have tried everything! I made fins of all sizes from big to small and tried tube fins and skirt fins. It always wants to spin clockwise and it spins so bad that the video is crap.

Tim is putting on some stabilizers we can adjust to see if that helps but it will increase drag, right?
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Stabilizing Spin

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Mark Chen wrote:Hi peeps!

Does anybody have ideas how to make our rocket spin less? We have tried everything! I made fins of all sizes from big to small and tried tube fins and skirt fins. It always wants to spin clockwise and it spins so bad that the video is crap.

Tim is putting on some stabilizers we can adjust to see if that helps but it will increase drag, right?
Archived from the old mailing list

Re: Day 73 - Flight report

Hi George,

Nice videos, I loved the first one that flew straight without
twisting, what a great video !! Care to share any knowledge you
learned on getting the wrocket and fins all perfectly aligned ?

I did read somewhere the big pyro guys use jigs / templates to hold
all the pieces perfectly in place while they do this

I was also dissapointed to see the FTC bend so much. While I was
researching for FTC a few months back I came across this company who
is in wetherill park who make polycarbonate tubing, they do 1.5mm, 2mm
and 3mm thick tubing in tube diameter sizes 6mm up to 100mm. They also
say they will do a custom thickness.

I thought this might be interesting to use for higher pressures if I
was to attempt a FTC, I would say the extra thickness would add to the
weight but may solve the bending issue for you.

http://www.pacwestcorp.com.au/Polycarbonate.html
http://www.pacwestcorp.com.au/About%20Us.html

cya
-todd-
HHWRSA
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

We've been thinking about just this very problem because our videos have a lot of spin in them and they get blurry from the spinning. We have a couple of ideas probably similar to yours as well. We're going to try some of them the next time we get good weather/wind conditions. We should compare notes.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Blake [B&R Rocketry]
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blake [B&R Rocketry] »

What if you did something like this
camera.jpg
camera.jpg (21.21 KiB) Viewed 233 times
It would help prevent the rotational motion from being transferred to the camera. Only problem is that the water and walls would degrade the picture.....
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

What about a Gyroscope. it resists change 8)
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Blake [B&R Rocketry] wrote:What if you did something like this
camera.jpg
It would help prevent the rotational motion from being transferred to the camera. Only problem is that the water and walls would degrade the picture.....
That does give me an idea... what if there were a rotating joint at the top of the rocket that let the top spin independently from the bottom? If the pressure vessel spins the weight of the camera on top should keep it stationary relative to the ground.

Thanks for the nudge!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Brian wrote:What about a Gyroscope. it resists change 8)
I've hear this suggestion before but I don't know if anyone has ever tried it. I am reluctant to use one because I don't like a heavy metal thing inside my rocket.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

I care most about the rocket spinning around when it floats down on the parachute. I have tried 2 and 3 parachutes but I fear the parachutes will tangle. In one way it is safer because with 3 chutes I think one will always open. The chances of all 3 of them tangling are slim, but all those chutes makes launching more complicated. Is there a single chute shape that does not spin?
Andromeda
No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Bansia
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Andromeda wrote:

I care most about the rocket spinning around when it floats down on the parachute. I have tried 2 and 3 parachutes but I fear the parachutes will tangle. In one way it is safer because with 3 chutes I think one will always open. The chances of all 3 of them tangling are slim, but all those chutes makes launching more complicated. Is there a single chute shape that does not spin?

What do you think about making a parachute out of one of those triangular "bat" kites? You know those kits that look like a hang glider? I was thinking that a smaller version of one of these kites could be folded with a spring joint at the tip and would act like a person hang gliding as it came down. In theory it should fly in a perfectly straight line.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Batkiter

Post by Batkiter »

With a Nasawing you can realized spin or a straight flight . If the lines are accordingly adjusted, you can control the movement. I built a Wing and obtained the desired effect.

Regards Batkiter
Attachments
Nasawing 600mm, Weight 15 gram
Nasawing 600mm, Weight 15 gram
Raketen 002.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

Batkiter wrote:With a Nasawing you can realized spin or a straight flight . If the lines are accordingly adjusted, you can control the movement. I built a Wing and obtained the desired effect.

Regards Batkiter
Oooh.... that looks SEXY Batkiter! Do you have a picture of the parachute in flight? I need to know if you make the design from a plan or did you come up with the design yourself? I would like to try that design!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Andromeda wrote:

What do you think about making a parachute out of one of those triangular "bat" kites? You know those kits that look like a hang glider? I was thinking that a smaller version of one of these kites could be folded with a spring joint at the tip and would act like a person hang gliding as it came down. In theory it should fly in a perfectly straight line.
Haha. I just realized Batkiter did something that didn't use a bat kite!

LOL!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Batkiter wrote:With a Nasawing you can realized spin or a straight flight . If the lines are accordingly adjusted, you can control the movement. I built a Wing and obtained the desired effect.

Regards Batkiter
I love it! I would like to know how you designed this too! Did you do it yourself or are there instructions?

What is it made from? Is that Rip Stop nylon?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

Regards Batkiter
It is beautiful, but I don't see how it works. What is the principal and how does it stop ratation on the parachute? Thank you.
Andromeda
No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Bansia
Batkiter

Post by Batkiter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Regards Batkiter
I love it! I would like to know how you designed this too! Did you do it yourself or are there instructions?

What is it made from? Is that Rip Stop nylon?
I built till today 18 kites with the Rogallo Priziple. From 600mm to 3280mm span, with different applications. It is my own Designe. If you are interested, I can show you gladly, how a kite is working and built according to this principle. The material of the glider is coated parachute silk. Extremely ligth and high-duty. I attach a few kite pictures. A small selection of my collection at kites.

Regards Batkiter
Attachments
Lionhead 3280mm
Lionhead 3280mm
PIC_0014.JPG (530.94 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Flying is for the Birds 2200mm
Flying is for the Birds 2200mm
PICT0246.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 141 times
Batkite 1200mm
Batkite 1200mm
Kopie von PICT0218.jpg (3.83 KiB) Viewed 138 times