Flying seed spiral fall idea

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Flying seed spiral fall idea

Post by RaZias »

I have collected some flying seeds and when released in the air they do bacgliding wile spinning around.
I think that a rocket with a big wing below him like the flying seed would make a nice substitute for a parachute, or even to be a secondary system when the parachute fails.

The wing could be made of the same material as the kites so it would be light.
I think I will try to make this, obviously the launch tube will need to be large so there will be a clearance distance from the rocket to the ground.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/20 ... y_cam.html
Research and Development is the soul of WR
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Flying seed spiral fall idea

Post by RaZias »

Here are some videos from the flying seed and the MIT, belive me this video is awsome !!

[youtube][/youtube]
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

----This is a video of the seeds in action:

[youtube][/youtube]

-------This is a video about the mapple seed and a device based on it by MIT:

[youtube][/youtube]

------This is a toy based in the mapple seed:

[youtube][/youtube]
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

RaZias wrote:Here are some videos from the flying seed and the MIT, belive me this video is awsome !!

You find some of the coolest videos. That's really awesome. I'm impressed because with so many things invented already it is increasingly hard to come up with new innovations. These guys are brilliant!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You know, a rod or tube that goes parallel to the rocket body could fold out at apogee and create a mono wing like that. It would be 1/2 as hard as making a two-wing helicopter recovery. One wing would be more reliable.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

A rocket made of 8L office water bottles with a wing like this is better than a vertical bottle because it
has the weight concentrated in one point as the seed has, instead of a long rocket made of ordinary cola bottles that wouldn´t concentrate the weight.

I think it wouldn´t be no problem to the rocket to be fired with the wing already released (altough there is drag and g-force), it would work nicely as the sling-shot toy.

I like this type of idea because having something already out of the rocket avoids:
- making a parachute system...no patience to make a tomy system or whatever.
- it´s always there, unlike the parachute that could fail in the ejecting sequence or getting tangled.

Thank god I have found an idea that I can test (contrary to the lots of ideas I let here in the forum)
quique uy
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by quique uy »

recently someone in the forum of ACEMA (Association Rocketry Argentina) asked if it was possible to do something like that.
The idea was when a rocket exploded and left the tube like a flower with multiple blades, starting to turn and getting down lower.

imagine, 2 or 3 blades at the top of the rocket, when he is stuck to take-off and in the apogee deployment

justamente hace poco tiempo alguién en el foro de ACEMA (Asociación Coheteria Argentina) preguntó si se podía hacer algo parecido.
La idea la tuvo cuando le explotó un cohete y dejó el tubo hecho una flor con varias aspas , comenzando a girar y baja lentamente.

yo me imagino. 2 o 3 aspas sujetadas en la parte superior del cohete , que cuando despegue estén pegadas a él y que en el apogeo se desplieguen
Attachments
autogiro.jpg
autogiro.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 45 times
A.C.E.M.U. Member.
Asociación de Cohetería Experimental y Modelista del Uruguay
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

quique uy- that's been done before. I can't remember where, but search around for helicopter rocket. I haven't seen any examples that were all that well refined, though. The one I saw descended quite nicely, but it looked like it had a lot of weight and drag.

I actually started thinking about helicopter recovery about a week ago. I have a design in mind I might try and build in the spring. I'd like to see a system that adds little weight and drag, so it could go on a very high flying rocket.
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

Here is the rocket I was talking about.
http://dogrocket.home.mindspring.com/Wa ... /heli.html