simple chute mechanism?

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
roldanlopez
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

simple chute mechanism?

Post by roldanlopez »

hi guys! well, finally i'm making some progress and did some launchs the past weekend, i'm still only testing so i'm using lower pressures, 70 psi was the maximun, and of course i did have some troubles
most at all with my laucher, but i'm making my way to the sky... there's only one really great problem at least here in my country, and is related to the parts necessary to make an automatic chute deployment, they are too expensive and difficult to find, so i was thinking, there's some way to make the deployment only using the gravitational forces at apogee? or something? this cause i'm saving my money to get the servos and everythng for later, but for now i need some "simple" recovey system so i don´t be crashing my rocket in every sinle launch .... help ! please!

in the meantime i'm usgin an L.I.S. "low impact sytem" design by me, it's a thick plastic shape (found in the garbage) inserted in a cone shape from a 2lt bottle and beteween this and the end of the rocket (bottom of the 2lt bottle) come's a piece of strong but "soft" foam who absorbs the power of the earth impact...

** i want to put some ppics and diagrams but i can't??? why??
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: simple chute mechanism?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

roldanlopez wrote:hi guys! well, finally i'm making some progress and did some launchs the past weekend, i'm still only testing so i'm using lower pressures, 70 psi was the maximun, and of course i did have some troubles
most at all with my laucher, but i'm making my way to the sky... there's only one really great problem at least here in my country, and is related to the parts necessary to make an automatic chute deployment, they are too expensive and difficult to find, so i was thinking, there's some way to make the deployment only using the gravitational forces at apogee? or something? this cause i'm saving my money to get the servos and everythng for later, but for now i need some "simple" recovey system so i don´t be crashing my rocket in every sinle launch .... help ! please!

in the meantime i'm usgin an L.I.S. "low impact sytem" design by me, it's a thick plastic shape (found in the garbage) inserted in a cone shape from a 2lt bottle and beteween this and the end of the rocket (bottom of the 2lt bottle) come's a piece of strong but "soft" foam who absorbs the power of the earth impact...

** i want to put some ppics and diagrams but i can't??? why??
I'm not sure why you can't post pics. You should have an "Upload Attachment" panel on the bottom of the editor screen (you need to be in the advanced editor and NOT the quick editor that appears in the bottom of each topic. If you click the "quote" button to respond to someone you will get the advanced editor. Click the "upload attachment" tab and upload your image files.

If you just upload them there they appear at the end of the post when you submit. If you want to post them mixed in with your text you hit the "inline" button after uploading.

if you know all this already and are having some other issues, just let the administrators know with a private message and they will fix the issue. They're really helpful and fast.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
roldanlopez
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by roldanlopez »

captain spiff!! yeah one of my favorites comics!! rulez!!
well thanks for the help my friend was only my stupidity...i'm posting the pics rigth now!!
thanks again!!
roldanlopez
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by roldanlopez »

ok, sorry for the double post..

this is my rocket-missile look HMR-1, got that look cause i'm planning to use it in an airsoft game!! i'm gonna be the king of milsim in my country!! je je je
the name come from my airsoft nickname "Magic Raynor" so, "H ydrorocket M agic R aynor One" silly rigth?.
DSCI0631.JPG
DSCI0631.JPG (802.66 KiB) Viewed 222 times
and this is me.. and the beast.
DSCI0682.JPG
DSCI0682.JPG (1012.72 KiB) Viewed 222 times
and this is a diagram of my simple L.I.S. Low impact system. may be somebody can find it useful, i hope so.
LIS_Diag.JPG
LIS_Diag.JPG (41.4 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hi roldanlopez!

Your rocket is really dressed up well. That's something we don't see a lot of people doing. You must have spent some time decorating it. It looks like a real military missile or bomb! I'm not sure that's something I'd do in the USA because everyone is sensitive to attack threats! :shock: It sure looks cool, though! Do you have any problems finding the rocket when it comes down in the grass? The color looks just like the grass where I launch and I imagine it would blend it pretty well!
Spaceman Spiff
roldanlopez
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by roldanlopez »

Well i did not really spend too much time painting, it only has a couple of layers of paint gray primer and green paint, the rest is a bit of metallic "dry brush" technique , and a couple of stickers ... and that's it !!

Regarding the appearance, well yes, looks like a bomb! jaja hopfully!!, but it is only because I'm planning to use it in a airsoft game , the green color?, well like ya see, I put two yellow bands that highlights in the grass .
I hope to make a lot of rockets and to all give it some special look ...
**fact: I leave a non paint strip in the side of the rocket so i can see the water fill level.

see ya in the sky spiff!
Ripper
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ripper »

A yellow band on a missile means that is has a high-explosive warhead installed, in NATO terminology. You might consider using a blue band (inert training) or white band (no meaning).

When it comes to recovery, i suggest an airflap-type deployment. It's a tried an tested method, that is reliable as long as you honor its limitations: launching vertical, and not in high winds.
Here's a link to Dave Johnson - the guy who made the first one. There's probaply a ton of other descriptions and variations out there...
http://dogrocket.home.mindspring.com/Wa ... chute.html

Otherwise, i suggest you read Aircommand's recovery-guide here:
http://home.people.net.au/~aircommand/r ... _guide.htm

Good luck
Christian
Christian
http://www.c-thomsen.dk/wrockets/
roldanlopez
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by roldanlopez »

Hi Ripper! thanks for the colors advice, i will keep that in mind.
Thanks too for the recovery tips, George of Aircommand is a great guy and i'm in touch with him , he is the man regarding water rockets business..!!
good luck to you too!!
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

roldanlopez wrote:Hi Ripper! thanks for the colors advice, i will keep that in mind.
Thanks too for the recovery tips, George of Aircommand is a great guy and i'm in touch with him , he is the man regarding water rockets business..!!
good luck to you too!!
Yellow stripe = YIKES!

That's ironic that your stripe was the NATO color for a high explosive! Good thing we have experts here to steer us in the right direction. Thanks to Ripper for the assist!
Spaceman Spiff
Ripper
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ripper »

There's many other stripe-colors to indicate things like e.g. a smoke-round, illumination, nuclear, incendiary, chemical etc.

I used to make 3D-models for a pc flightsim so i've painted quite a few ywllow stripes :wink:
Actually, your rocket looks pretty much like a scaled-down CBU-87 clusterbomb
http://modelci.5u.com/web/P0106149.jpg (try reloading this pic in browser - it doesnt seem to work by link)
If you loose this rocket in the tall grass, and someone else finds it, there's gonna be trouble.....
Christian
http://www.c-thomsen.dk/wrockets/
roldanlopez
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by roldanlopez »

jajaj ok ok guys relax!! in my country the things are really really more, i don`t know how to say it..hmmm "loose", but i will take the advice and change the yellow strips... again, thanks for the advice..!! i'm building a rocket rocket look like white color! BTW... jejejej see ya!!
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

roldanlopez wrote:jajaj ok ok guys relax!! in my country the things are really really more, i don`t know how to say it..hmmm "loose", but i will take the advice and change the yellow strips... again, thanks for the advice..!! i'm building a rocket rocket look like white color! BTW... jejejej see ya!!
You should be more worried about losing the rocket and then having someone stumble across it and see what looks like an unexploded missile and call the authorities!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
roldanlopez
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by roldanlopez »

well, i'm kind the authoritie here, i have an airsfot field next to the trainning field of naval forces and my field is used to practique for ground forces, my field is way far in the country, sorruonded by fences and with absolutely no neighbours around, so, that's the reason... so don't worry guys but thanks!! i know that you want to help!!
now about the chute? any sugestion?
Randino
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Randino »

I would suggest a simple weighted nose that forces the rocket to flip into a nosedive at apogee. Have the nose set to separate from the body of the rocket when the rocket turns 90 degrees into the flip. When the nose falls off, the weight of it can be used to pull the parachute out of the body of the rocket.

The big problems with this method are having the nose come off early, or having it get stuck. The plus side is if you can master it, its simple and cheap. Just thought I'd suggest it.

I'll be going into this design in detail later, when I explain how a few of my older rockets work.

Randy
"Neither will alone, nor strength alone will be enough."