flight computer

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
tcarnahan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: flight computer

Post by tcarnahan »

Can you suggest a path for getting started building your own flight computer?

-- Where is a good place to get components?
-- Source for design?
-- Things to watch out for?

I have had a little (very little) training in electronics, but would like to start. I would eventually like to build a FC that senses max altitude or apogee.

-- What would you recommend for sensors?
-- What kind of microprocesser to control the sensor and servo?
-- Where would you buy these components?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide to help me get started! :D
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

tcarnahan wrote:Can you suggest a path for getting started building your own flight computer?

-- Where is a good place to get components?
-- Source for design?
-- Things to watch out for?

I have had a little (very little) training in electronics, but would like to start. I would eventually like to build a FC that senses max altitude or apogee.

-- What would you recommend for sensors?
-- What kind of microprocesser to control the sensor and servo?
-- Where would you buy these components?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide to help me get started! :D
A good place to get started would be to check out one of the hobby electronics sites like sparkfun.com. They have a lot of nice kits for various robotics projects that use motors and sensors and servomotors. Since you say you do not have a lot of experience with electronics, one of their kits would be a good way to start. There are a lot of skills that you need to be able to create a flight controller, and so with a starter kit you will be exposed to the core principals and concepts you will need to start creating your own designs.

If you begin with a nice kit, you will get the foundations you need, such as how to set up your programming environment and it should come with any devices you will need to load software into the processor chip you choose to learn.

There are a lot of different processors out there which you will have to decide upon. It depends on your personality which chip you want to go with. There are a lot of people who program on the Ardurino platform which uses the AVR processors from Atmel. There's a strong community of supporters for this platform and you should be able to find something with this processor pretty easily. There's also a lot pf people who use a processor family from Microchip called PIC, which have a lot of supporters because they've been around for going on 30 years and were the only option for hobby users for so long that they became a defacto "standard" due to there being no other choice. The line has been produced all these years largely unchanged in spite of their quirky backwards architecture and their primitve tools. You can find a lot of die-hard supporters for the PIC who defend it religiously in spite of the fact that it was designed by engineers who learned electronics from vacuum tubes. There are newer contenders in the market from STMicroelectronics and Texas Instruments, but being newcomers there are far fewer fans and less support out there for these platforms. Your best bet is to find a kit that appeals to you and do a little looking around on the forums and communities that support the processor of choice and look to see which one looks like you would fit in with the people and get the most help.

Once you have the core skills to program a ready made kit and make it do new things then you can start to get into designing your own controller based on the same platofrm you are familiar with. By then you will know whether this is something that appeals to you.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
janssene

Post by janssene »

Hi,

I've build my flight computer based on the one from the aircommandrockets.com website. For version 1.5 the source code is freely available. I have asked a collegue of mine to program the PIC. Also as I didn't have a PCB print, I used a standard board to solder the components on. It took me some time to create a nice lay-out but it now works like a charm.

It cost me about 15 euro's to build.

See http://www.west63.nl/flightcomputer/IMAG0128.jpg and http://www.west63.nl/flightcomputer/IMAG0131.jpg
air.command

Post by air.command »

janssene wrote:Hi,

I've build my flight computer based on the one from the aircommandrockets.com website. For version 1.5 the source code is freely available. I have asked a collegue of mine to program the PIC. Also as I didn't have a PCB print, I used a standard board to solder the components on. It took me some time to create a nice lay-out but it now works like a charm.

It cost me about 15 euro's to build.

See http://www.west63.nl/flightcomputer/IMAG0128.jpg and http://www.west63.nl/flightcomputer/IMAG0131.jpg
Very nice work on the FC, it looks like it took a bit of time to do the layout judging by the copper side of the board. What rocket will you be flying it on?

- George
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
janssene

Post by janssene »

It is supposed to be used on a 2 x2L rocket with a robinson coupling. Luckely I have planned some test flight with a tomy timer before using the flight computer. Still need some testing to do....

http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 489#p10265
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Nice work on the flight computer. Have you been bitten by the electronics bug yet and will be designing and building your own? There are a lot of areas to explore in the electronics payload field.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
mamashome_steve

Post by mamashome_steve »

Hey man i would like to ask if you can like lend me the code for this WATER ROCKET - FLIGHT COMPUTER V1.6 for educational use only! It would be great if you answered back! Im actually 15 only and know only how to solder and make pcb boards problem is i need to know how to program the microcontroller ike you did!
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
mamashome_steve

Post by mamashome_steve »

I meant the code for programming the microchip! Please
HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: HJ: