First Launch of the season

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Randino
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

First Launch of the season

Post by Randino »

Sometimes you just have to make yourself get out of bed and seize the day. I decided to dust off the old Eagle and get a launch in before I retrofit her for for the new year. I used all the same methods of last year, without any of the new improvements. This may be the last time I use my old launcher for a while, as I'm currently working on a new one (Based off of US Water Rockets instructions) which will be a huge improvement. I believe that my guidance system combined with the Clark Cable tie method will be a deadly combination.

The video is linked below. I had my dad film it, but he just kinda watched the rocket launch, rather then follow it with the camera. We are working on that. While the Eagle isn't carrying any electronics (because I don't own a on-board camera or altimeter yet) The nose is still carrying extra weight were the electronics would be, so I wouldn't expect to see a dramatic change if a small altimeter was installed. The Freedom will have a similar design, but will be built with the altimeter and on-board camera in mind, so I can start attempting records. ^^ Here is the video: [youtube][/youtube]
"Neither will alone, nor strength alone will be enough."
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Launch of the season

Post by WRA2 »

Nice launch, It is good to see people using the info that others have posted here. The cable tie launcher is a good choice. Simple, inexpensive and reliable. It also enables the use of launch tubes easily. Be careful when launching though I can see cars and buildings nearby.

Those clouds in the background looked threatening. (just as a reminder to everyone now that it is summer..Please do not launch during thunderstorms) :!:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Randino
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Randino »

Thanks. ^^ I'm looking at securing a new launch site for this summer. One that is more open, so I don't have to worry about landing on a roof. The neighbors are all pretty cool about my rockets though. When they see me setting up, they tend to gather in the driveways to watch the flight. I always put on a bit of a show on the 4th of July, and the fire works take over by sunset. That cloud opened up on us soon after we got everything inside, so we cut it close.

I've learned a lot from this site, and that launcher is probably the best thing I've found so far. The old launcher I'm using has a tire valve directly underneath the nozzle, and I have to hold the air hose on it to pressurize it. It has a bit of a safety, as the tire valve will bend out of shape and release the air before the bottle can explode, but it has no option for a launch tube, and the release pins have to be jerked hard to slide out. As unsafe as this whole set up sounds, I actually got the instructions to build this in my 6th grade science class, and I've been doing it like this since that summer. I'm glad to find there is a better way.

I have a really nice guidance system, which I have been working on for a good while now, but the jerk from pulling the pins out throws it off a bit. The Clark Cable tie method is a downward pull, rather then a jerk to the side, so it should increase stability in combination with my guidance system. ^^
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Randino wrote:Thanks. ^^ I'm looking at securing a new launch site for this summer. One that is more open, so I don't have to worry about landing on a roof. The neighbors are all pretty cool about my rockets though. When they see me setting up, they tend to gather in the driveways to watch the flight. I always put on a bit of a show on the 4th of July, and the fire works take over by sunset. That cloud opened up on us soon after we got everything inside, so we cut it close.

I've learned a lot from this site, and that launcher is probably the best thing I've found so far. The old launcher I'm using has a tire valve directly underneath the nozzle, and I have to hold the air hose on it to pressurize it. It has a bit of a safety, as the tire valve will bend out of shape and release the air before the bottle can explode, but it has no option for a launch tube, and the release pins have to be jerked hard to slide out. As unsafe as this whole set up sounds, I actually got the instructions to build this in my 6th grade science class, and I've been doing it like this since that summer. I'm glad to find there is a better way.

I have a really nice guidance system, which I have been working on for a good while now, but the jerk from pulling the pins out throws it off a bit. The Clark Cable tie method is a downward pull, rather then a jerk to the side, so it should increase stability in combination with my guidance system. ^^
Are you using an electronic guidance system or have you worked out a mechanical system? People have always been tinkering with guidance systems but nobody has been able to get them to work reliably. It would be great if you were to come up with something that we all could use.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Randino
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Randino »

What I meant by guidance system was the guide pole attached to the launch pad. It's simmilar to the maxi rod and straw on model rockets. The problem is that my rockets are much to heavy to be used on such a thin rod, so I switched to a steel rod that was a bit thicker. For the "straw" I use a jumbo Pixie Stick, which was a perfect match for the steel rod.

With The Eagle, I'm using a loosely fitted, weighted nose that pops off when the rocket flips at apogee, so keeping the flight path near vertical until then is critical. Even with the jerky launcher, she still flies relatively straight up thanks to the spiral set up of the fins, so I'm looking forward to seeing how she does off of a more stable platform. I'd also like to test a rocket without the spiral fins, as I know some of the energy from the launch is transferred into the spiral motion, instead of the vertical motion of the rocket.

Lastly, thanks for the tutorial on the launcher. My Dad and I were arguing about how close my cuts on the PVC were, He thought they were good enough, but I wanted to get them better. I just got a pipe cutter, so I should be able to get the plumbing assembled tonight ^^

Randy
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Randino wrote:What I meant by guidance system was the guide pole attached to the launch pad. It's simmilar to the maxi rod and straw on model rockets. The problem is that my rockets are much to heavy to be used on such a thin rod, so I switched to a steel rod that was a bit thicker. For the "straw" I use a jumbo Pixie Stick, which was a perfect match for the steel rod.

With The Eagle, I'm using a loosely fitted, weighted nose that pops off when the rocket flips at apogee, so keeping the flight path near vertical until then is critical. Even with the jerky launcher, she still flies relatively straight up thanks to the spiral set up of the fins, so I'm looking forward to seeing how she does off of a more stable platform. I'd also like to test a rocket without the spiral fins, as I know some of the energy from the launch is transferred into the spiral motion, instead of the vertical motion of the rocket.

Lastly, thanks for the tutorial on the launcher. My Dad and I were arguing about how close my cuts on the PVC were, He thought they were good enough, but I wanted to get them better. I just got a pipe cutter, so I should be able to get the plumbing assembled tonight ^^

Randy
Hi Randy,

You're quite welcome for the launcher design. We had a lot of good responses on that design and we're glad so many people were able to build the launcher successfully. We tried to make it so that anyone could build a working launcher even if they didn't have the exact same materials available. One thing to look out for with the pipe cutters is that they tend to leave a little lip on the end of the pipe that you will want to sand off because the pipe will snag on the bottle mouth if you don't.

Another tip is that when you build a launcher like ours, you generally don't need an external guide rail because the launch tube inside the bottle can act as a guide rail internal to the rocket.

Good luck with the launcher!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

hi Randy
a good way i found to reduce the jerk from the string pull release was to use a 2:1 ratio lever to reduce the force needed to release the rocket. i found this idea from the pics here http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=239
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w