Radio Controlled Parachute Rocket

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Bibbleycheese
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Radio Controlled Parachute Rocket

Post by Bibbleycheese »

Here's a little video of some successful launches and recoveries using a radio controlled parachute release mechanism.
The rocket is made from two 2-litre bottles, with a nose-mounted dual parachute system; one large chute for the rocket body, and one smaller chute for the nose cone.
[youtube][/youtube]
The rocket is launched with 500ml of water at 80psi - mainly because all the joints begin to leak above that pressure. It's not going terribly high - but it's not meant to yet. Once I've got the recovery mechanism working reliably, then I can start mounting more electronics on board, and perhaps splash out on an altimeter.
Anyway - it was a lovely sunny and quiet afternoon, and loads of fun to be outside.
- Andy
Little Squirts Water Rockets
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Re: Radio Controlled Parachute Rocket

Post by thampson »

Hi Andy,

nice work with the R/C parachute release. Can you tell us if its an AM or FM transmitter/receiver. Have you tested its range on the ground ?

thanks

-todd-
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Bibbleycheese wrote:Here's a little video of some successful launches and recoveries using a radio controlled parachute release mechanism.
The rocket is made from two 2-litre bottles, with a nose-mounted dual parachute system; one large chute for the rocket body, and one smaller chute for the nose cone.
[youtube][/youtube]
The rocket is launched with 500ml of water at 80psi - mainly because all the joints begin to leak above that pressure. It's not going terribly high - but it's not meant to yet. Once I've got the recovery mechanism working reliably, then I can start mounting more electronics on board, and perhaps splash out on an altimeter.
Anyway - it was a lovely sunny and quiet afternoon, and loads of fun to be outside.
Good work on the deploy. We're also curious about the range you have gotten? The distance should be pretty good since you will have a direct line of sight.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
danb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by danb »

very nice rocket andy i had ideas of a radio control deployment didnt think it would be possible so well done i read on futaba website that the range from transmitter to reciever from ground to air is a mile :shock: would that be true? really want to try out this idea on my newest rocket

danb
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

danb wrote:very nice rocket andy i had ideas of a radio control deployment didnt think it would be possible so well done i read on futaba website that the range from transmitter to reciever from ground to air is a mile :shock: would that be true? really want to try out this idea on my newest rocket

danb

I mile range in open air? That's really good. That should work very well.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison