Parachute deployment test launch

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Deckard

Parachute deployment test launch

Post by Deckard »

Also testing my stageing device as well. The deployment device is a version of Franks' device. Unfortunely the nose cone came off before the deployment device would of pushed it off so it didn't get a chance to test it on this launch. When I was going for a second launch the stager released the second stage while I was still pumping. Which of course I wasn't filming :cry: and this time the nose cone stayed on until it was pushed of by the deployment device. The only problem being it was about two meters before impact due to the unexpected early launch not giving it enough height.
Here's the first launch anyway since I enjoy the footage I got.
[youtube][/youtube]
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Parachute deployment test launch

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Deckard wrote: Here's the first launch anyway since I enjoy the footage I got.
And so did we! Thanks for sharing. Were there two dropaway boosters or was one of the early falling objects the nosecone descending on its own chute?
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

There was one dropaway the other object the what I call the interstage section which covers the chute of the first stage which didn't get a chance to open. I do want to do more stages just for the looks :D
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Deckard wrote:There was one dropaway the other object the what I call the interstage section which covers the chute of the first stage which didn't get a chance to open. I do want to do more stages just for the looks :D
Thanks for sharing the video. Everyone can learn from the launches that work and the ones that don't work. That's what it's all about!

Other than not having the camera running at the opportune moment, do you have some analysis of what went wrong with the stager?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: Thanks for sharing the video. Everyone can learn from the launches that work and the ones that don't work. That's what it's all about!

Other than not having the camera running at the opportune moment, do you have some analysis of what went wrong with the stager?
The stager is a gardena type connector with the spring removed and arranged so the spring pushs it open. It's held closed by the pressure of the first stage inflating a bicycle inner tube against the inside of a pvc pipe connected to the ring of the connector.

On removing the pipe I found unsurprisingly the the inner tube had got wet from the first launch. The water acted as a lubricant between the inner tube and smooth PVC pipe. I need to add a ridge to the inside of the PVC pipe which I was going to do originally but skipped it since it had such a good grip without (dry of course).
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Deckard wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: Thanks for sharing the video. Everyone can learn from the launches that work and the ones that don't work. That's what it's all about!

The stager is a gardena type connector with the spring removed and arranged so the spring pushs it open. It's held closed by the pressure of the first stage inflating a bicycle inner tube against the inside of a pvc pipe connected to the ring of the connector.

On removing the pipe I found unsurprisingly the the inner tube had got wet from the first launch. The water acted as a lubricant between the inner tube and smooth PVC pipe. I need to add a ridge to the inside of the PVC pipe which I was going to do originally but skipped it since it had such a good grip without (dry of course).
That makes sense. You should also dry the thing out between launches if possible. Leftover water can fool you into thinking something has leaked when you fill it up the next time.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

Good point, thanks