V3 Rocket

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
danb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

V3 Rocket

Post by danb »

Just thought id post up my latest rocket the V3 its larger and has more of a aerodynamic shape to the last V rocket it has a 7.5L capacity 9mm nozzle and weighs 700g i used fablon for the colour scheme as paint is to un reliable hope you like the pics please comment if you have any questions.
Attachments
IMAG0058_edited-1.jpg
IMAG0058_edited-1.jpg (279.11 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Deckard

Re: V3 Rocket

Post by Deckard »

Have you flown it yet?
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

danb wrote:Just thought id post up my latest rocket the V3 its larger and has more of a aerodynamic shape to the last V rocket it has a 7.5L capacity 9mm nozzle and weighs 700g i used fablon for the colour scheme as paint is to un reliable hope you like the pics please comment if you have any questions.
What is the orange thing on the side? Is that the parachute?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
danb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by danb »

yes i have tried to fly the v3 and we had a catastrophic failure on the first lanch the top bottle exploded and destroyed the parachute housing and nose cone i will be trimming the broken bottle and joining a fresh bottle to it and hopefully have another go soon the cause of the explosion was the neck of the bottle seemed to have a very small hairline crack il post some pics up soon of the wreckage. and the orange shape you can see is the parachute in the housing.

Dan B
danb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by danb »

Heres some pics of the damage occured from last weekends launch thers more info and pics on my blog http://bwrockets.blogspot.com/
Attachments
IMAG0094_edited-1.jpg
IMAG0094_edited-1.jpg (367.07 KiB) Viewed 58 times
IMAG0102_edited-1.jpg
IMAG0102_edited-1.jpg (344.58 KiB) Viewed 58 times
IMAG0093.jpg
IMAG0093.jpg (437.23 KiB) Viewed 58 times
air.command

Post by air.command »

Sorry to see the V3 explode like that Dan. We had similar issues with 2L bottles. An easy way to fix the stretching around the neck is to cut a small ring of PET plastic from the top of another bottle and glue it over the neck:
http://www.aircommandrockets.com/images ... 8_13_s.jpg
This stops the stretching close to the neck and the weak hairline cracks. At what pressure did it fail?
Good luck with the rebuild.

- George
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
danb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by danb »

Thanks for the advice George ive looked at your articles on re enforcing bottles i have decided to strenghen all my bottles in the future as a secondary precaution i filled the bottle to 120 psi very slowly as im using a scuba bottle and didnt want to stress the bottle during filling thanks for all the comments boys il post up pics when the rocket is fixed

Dan B
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

danb wrote:Thanks for the advice George ive looked at your articles on re enforcing bottles i have decided to strenghen all my bottles in the future as a secondary precaution i filled the bottle to 120 psi very slowly as im using a scuba bottle and didnt want to stress the bottle during filling thanks for all the comments boys il post up pics when the rocket is fixed

Dan B
The different thickness between the sides of the bottle and the neck are a point of uneven stress which can lead to the tiny cracks. A few launches is all it takes for form the scratches and the next launch will fail unexpectedly, even at a lower pressure. It can be very unpredictable. The small mold flashing on the very bottom of the bottle is also a point where the thickness variation leads to stress cracks.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
danb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by danb »

Thanks for all the advice boys much appreciated

Dan B