upgraded launcher with guide rails

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
liftoff

upgraded launcher with guide rails

Post by liftoff »

Hi everyone

I finally got tired of launching rockets horizontally so I added guide rails (still to be tested this weekend) I’ve done some dry launches in the back garden and it all seems to moving freely.

I have also been experimenting with glues (being in the UK and the wondrous PL Premium not available here) for splicing bottles and found the polyurthane glue (that is very runny and looks like honey)
I mixed it with some Easyfill (powdered form filler) at 2 parts filler with 1 part glue as advised on other websites (aircomandrockets) and it all bonds really well to the PET and other plastic components.

Here are some photos

Thanks

Dieter
Attachments
Launcher guide rails.jpg
Launcher guide rails.jpg (338.86 KiB) Viewed 108 times
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: upgraded launcher with guide rails

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Have you considered making a rocket with an internal launch tube instead of using guide rails? Just a thought because any time you have guide rails you have to use a certain diameter rocket or else you have to do a lot of over engineering to make the guide rails articulated. A lot of extra work can be eliminated if you use a launch tube because nothing needs to be adjusted when you switch to a different rocket.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
liftoff

Post by liftoff »

I have thought of launch tubes but havnt yet looked into the construction of it. have ordered some syringes to try and work on the parashute release and timing mechanism as used by the world record holders and surely many other. here is the link to the video of the launcher in use.

[youtube][/youtube]
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

liftoff wrote:I have thought of launch tubes but havnt yet looked into the construction of it. have ordered some syringes to try and work on the parashute release and timing mechanism as used by the world record holders and surely many other. here is the link to the video of the launcher in use.

[youtube][/youtube]
I picked up about 20 feet of teflon "C" channel from a shipping company that went out of business near the park I play basketball. These workers had stripped out all the packaging equipment and were taking them for scrap metal. I asked the guy there if I could take the plastic and he said I could. It's teflon they use to make the packages slide easier and there were 2 pieces about 10 feet long I got. It just clips over the end of a sheetmetal piece but I could use a piece of thin bar stock or an I-beam as a rail and slide it over for a low friction guide.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

Tim Chen wrote:
liftoff wrote:I have thought of launch tubes but havnt yet looked into the construction of it. have ordered some syringes to try and work on the parashute release and timing mechanism as used by the world record holders and surely many other. here is the link to the video of the launcher in use.

[youtube][/youtube]
I picked up about 20 feet of teflon "C" channel from a shipping company that went out of business near the park I play basketball. These workers had stripped out all the packaging equipment and were taking them for scrap metal. I asked the guy there if I could take the plastic and he said I could. It's teflon they use to make the packages slide easier and there were 2 pieces about 10 feet long I got. It just clips over the end of a sheetmetal piece but I could use a piece of thin bar stock or an I-beam as a rail and slide it over for a low friction guide.
Can you get this in a tube? It could slide over a pipe or rod for a launch rail or tube.
Andromeda
No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Bansia
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

[youtube][/youtube]
It's not clear where some of these rumors start, but we do not use syringes on our rockets and have not for many years.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

AntiGravity Research used syringes for their recovery during their record flight.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w