Water Rocket Project from a beginner

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Project from a beginner

Post by JPGraphX »

Hi!

I tried my first water rocket last week, and it was close to a failure .. It goes to maybe 40-50 feets.. this is bad I know! ;)
My problem was my 1.5L bottle .. coming from non-carbonated water. There was also some leaks not helping me.

Now I'm start a new one from draft. I'm going to use 1 or 2x 2L coca-cola bottle.

Here is my "gardena style" launcher adapt with a bicycle valve:
IMG_2332[1].JPG
IMG_2332[1].JPG (969.27 KiB) Viewed 112 times
And my female adapter, seems to fit well directly on my coca-cola bottle. Threading are not perfectly same but with teflon it should be okay !
IMG_2334[1].JPG
IMG_2334[1].JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 112 times
By your experience, is a double 2L rocket is better than one ? Extra altitude and power is justified .. because it seem hard to have a perfect and no leaking multiple bottle rocket.

Thanks for reading,
JP
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Water Rocket Project from a beginner

Post by JPGraphX »

Sorry, ,my pictures are not showing very well ..! hehehe
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

I have a questions for you guys;

When combining two bottles, is there an advantage to have a reduce hole between the two or is it better to have full diameter between the two..

JP
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

JPGraphX wrote:I have a questions for you guys;

When combining two bottles, is there an advantage to have a reduce hole between the two or is it better to have full diameter between the two..

JP
The larger the hole the better. As a matter of fact, splicing two bottles together works even better. Just search the forum for splicing and you will find several threads on how to do it.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

Good! I'm using the splicing technique from website air command rocket.. I'll post pictures tomorrow. How many throw a rocket can take? (if we say there's no damage from landing)

JP
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

Here is my first rocket (that I destroyed). It was a very fast and not beautiful setup.. I was learning ..and I'm still.. ;)
Première_fusée_lancement.jpg
Première_fusée_lancement.jpg (114.62 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Now, construction of my new rocket !

Here's how I assemble my 2 X 2L (I've exactly did air command tutorial):
Deuxième_fusée_Montage_Vessel_2.jpg
Deuxième_fusée_Montage_Vessel_2.jpg (82.17 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Assembled (not glued together.. it will be tomorrow!):
Deuxième_fusée_Montage_Vessel.jpg
Deuxième_fusée_Montage_Vessel.jpg (70.21 KiB) Viewed 94 times
See ya tomorrow!
JP
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

JPGraphX wrote:Hi!

I tried my first water rocket last week, and it was close to a failure .. It goes to maybe 40-50 feets.. this is bad I know! ;)
My problem was my 1.5L bottle .. coming from non-carbonated water. There was also some leaks not helping me.

Now I'm start a new one from draft. I'm going to use 1 or 2x 2L coca-cola bottle.

Here is my "gardena style" launcher adapt with a bicycle valve:
IMG_2332[1].JPG
And my female adapter, seems to fit well directly on my coca-cola bottle. Threading are not perfectly same but with teflon it should be okay !
IMG_2334[1].JPG
By your experience, is a double 2L rocket is better than one ? Extra altitude and power is justified .. because it seem hard to have a perfect and no leaking multiple bottle rocket.

Thanks for reading,
JP

You will find that bottles that so not contain carbonated beverages are not designed to hold pressure. Often the shape of the bottles is weak or the bottles are made from really weak or thin plastic. The end result is that your bottles will burst very easily.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

JPGraphX wrote: And my female adapter, seems to fit well directly on my coca-cola bottle. Threading are not perfectly same but with teflon it should be okay !
IMG_2334[1].JPG

Dayum...

I can almost see the sub atomic particles in that pic. :lol:

I love me sum good macrophotography. WO:
Nick and Dad B.
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

Hello all! :D :D

Here's a little update for my water rocket project. I've made my test this afternoon and I faced a couple of problems. (I was expecting some, because I'm new to all of this). It was sunny, and a bit windy. I run all my launch try and test to 8 bars (120 PSI)

So here's a picture of my assembly (not finished, there is a bottle cover between the two rockets):
fusée double assembly.jpg
fusée double assembly.jpg (149.04 KiB) Viewed 80 times
After test at my launch site, I had a leak problem coming from my "double cap" between my 2 bottles. So I removed one of my 2x2L to at least achieve a launch.

Here's is my parachute system. I tried like 4 tomy timers, 3 from car toy which is not good for timing and my last "walking" toy , was working well until I put glue in the gear .. lol. So I try to found an alternative; a small load (lead) on top of my rocket, slided on a small bolt and a spring. On apogee, my "lead load" fall from my rocket and then it removes the pin, so my door open and my parachute is projected out.
fusée a eau v2 parachute.jpg
fusée a eau v2 parachute.jpg (172.71 KiB) Viewed 80 times
My last picture for today is my first setup on launch site .. before I found that my cap was leaking ..
setup fusée v2.jpg
setup fusée v2.jpg (143.05 KiB) Viewed 80 times
So I removed my leaking cap and used only one 2 x 2L tank.

Here are the problems encountered:

1. My rocket was doing a curve (radious) (like 50 feet high, 100 feet horizontal). It is never going vertical, as soon as it launches it starts to curve. I used one ring fins, but I think I will go back to normal fins, it was more effective on my first rocket. Where is suppose to be my center of mass?

2. Because of this abnormal trajectory, my parachute never went out, but I need to improve my release mechanism. I want my "lead load" to remove the pin when it falls and this in all positions possible.

3. I need a better "Launch station", with a guide to make sure it start very straight and align.

4. I need to make a new "double cap" to link my to tank.

Here are the things I will be working on, your tips are very welcome !! TH:

P.S.: I know there's a lot of way to release my parachute, but I want very very cheap way to do it. My objective is to minimize money and maximize performance. ;)
JP
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

Hi!

I've read on this forum that long rocket (is mine a long one?) tilt over with small nozzles. Is there a way to keep same nozzle and "gardena" launcher ? Like adding as I said a long guide rail maybe 10-12 feet high ?
Muzza
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Muzza »

Any parachute release system based on a falling weight is usually going to be problematic, because at apogee the rocket is going to be falling under the influence of gravity at roughly the same speed as the weight. The only time the weight will exert any force on a mechanisim to activate the parachute is once the rocket starts approaching terminal velocity when the drag offsets the force of gravity. Because you will be trying to minimise drag, this could occur after impact(not ideal!) The other thing is that if you make it super sensitive it may activate during the negative G forces that occur as the rocket begins to slow at burnout ( not ideal either)

Muz
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

I need help building a release mechanism with a programmable timer relay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LABCO-TM15-Time ... 575wt_1397

here is the relay I would like to use, can someone help me with this relay + solenoid or Servo-motor + battery ? I need to know the wiring !

Thanks,
JP
JPGraphX
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by JPGraphX »

Last weekend, I launched some flight with my double 2 L rocket. I had success, but my parachute never went out, so it is destroyed now .. ;) !

I'm now going to FTC Rocket .. less gluing. I'll try to fit in the Servochron .. welcome to your tips.