Big high pressure 8L rocket Crash!

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
basrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Big high pressure 8L rocket Crash!

Post by basrockets »

Hi Guys,

I was very busy with school stuff but i had some time to (finally) launch the big 8L water rocket.
This was the fist launch sins i had made the rocket.

There was a bit to much wind but we still launch the rocket, The wind was blowing with a speed of 30 - 40km\h :(
We fill the rocket with 1,5 L water and put it on to the launcher.
Because it was the first launch for this rocket i only put 10 bar (145 psi) in the rocket.

On board of the rocket there was a altimeter, camera and a electric timer.
My friend start recoding at the ground cam and i count down.. 3...2...1.. and there it goes !

Very nice en staid flight, 5 seconds later and the parachute timer deploys the parachute.
But than the parachute opened for just 1 sec and the cord snaps !! :shock: :( :(
The rocket was now go strait to the ground whit a speed around 200-300 km\h :(

The rocket crash very hard in the ground and the parachute came about 2 min later to the ground. (300 meter away :( )
The altimeter still works, and that flight went 156 meters (511 feet) ! :)
But the onboard camera is destroyed :(

You guy now ask your self ; Why he says that and not show a video?
Because when a went home i want to see the video, so i want to put the file to my pc but there was no file :( !
So i just made some pictures.
Here you can see the payload completely destroyed..
Here you can see the payload completely destroyed..
SAM_0553.JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 71 times
And the rocket it self..
And the rocket it self..
SAM_0556.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 71 times
Now I'm working on a new payload, this time with just a tommy timer.
So if i have fix the rocket i will post an new video online :)

See you soon,
Basrockets
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Big high pressure 8L rocket Crash!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

basrockets wrote:Hi Guys,

I was very busy with school stuff but i had some time to (finally) launch the big 8L water rocket.
This was the fist launch sins i had made the rocket.

There was a bit to much wind but we still launch the rocket, The wind was blowing with a speed of 30 - 40km\h :(
We fill the rocket with 1,5 L water and put it on to the launcher.
Because it was the first launch for this rocket i only put 10 bar (145 psi) in the rocket.

On board of the rocket there was a altimeter, camera and a electric timer.
My friend start recoding at the ground cam and i count down.. 3...2...1.. and there it goes !

Very nice en staid flight, 5 seconds later and the parachute timer deploys the parachute.
But than the parachute opened for just 1 sec and the cord snaps !! :shock: :( :(
The rocket was now go strait to the ground whit a speed around 200-300 km\h :(

The rocket crash very hard in the ground and the parachute came about 2 min later to the ground. (300 meter away :( )
The altimeter still works, and that flight went 156 meters (511 feet) ! :)
But the onboard camera is destroyed :(

You guy now ask your self ; Why he says that and not show a video?
Because when a went home i want to see the video, so i want to put the file to my pc but there was no file :( !
So i just made some pictures.
SAM_0553.JPG
SAM_0556.JPG
Now I'm working on a new payload, this time with just a tommy timer.
So if i have fix the rocket i will post an new video online :)

See you soon,
Basrockets

Ooooh. Sorry to see you had so much damage. We know what it's like to lose a good rocket. We went through several wrecks when we were developing our avionics. We had to send a couple of altimeters back for repair because any hard crash can throw off the sensor calibration. Since we were going for the world record we always knew people would try and find ways to challenge the accomplishment, so we made sure there was no possibility that the altimeter was reading extra height.

One thing that is amazing is how much force the parachute can generate. We have seen some crazy damage caused by the shock cord or the shock cord fail itself when we felt there was no way that could happen.

Good luck on the rebuild!
basrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Big high pressure 8L rocket Crash!

Post by basrockets »

Thans guys!

I'm now very busy with rebuilding the rocket again ;)