Water Rocket Ski

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by bugwubber »

Low pressure test launch of Something Wicked.
16l, 50psi, no water

[youtube][/youtube]

Looks like it is tracking pretty good. Next to finish painting it tonight.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

It's coming together nicely.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

We are go for launch! Does anyone else see a viking woman in a red dress with a horned helmet on, and hair coming out the back? I painted the "face" tan to make it easier to see in the picture. Totally random.
Maybe I should put the cap back on the pvc primer. :-)
somethingwicked.JPG
somethingwicked.JPG (119.06 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Well, this will have to do for now. Won't get a chance to launch until Thursday. Going to be 38 f so we'll see.
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 41 times
Here's a video showing the lights

[youtube][/youtube]

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Cool with the lights. With that skinny ski are you concerned about stability at all? You could maybe put some pvc on the ends of the forward fin. Then if it tips it should just skip along.

Also I was curious what size pvc do you have between the bottles? I plan on doing that for a future project and would like to know if just to save the trouble of searching around. Thanks.

Cant wait to see the launch.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Asupremeflight wrote:Cool with the lights. With that skinny ski are you concerned about stability at all? You could maybe put some pvc on the ends of the forward fin. Then if it tips it should just skip along.

Also I was curious what size pvc do you have between the bottles? I plan on doing that for a future project and would like to know if just to save the trouble of searching around. Thanks.

Cant wait to see the launch.
Thanks!
It's kinda hard to see in the picture but on the ends of the forward bottle support, there are half circles of foam wrapped in a strip of PET. The thrust collectors are 1" slip couplers. Probably a bit heavy for sky bound contraptions but worked well for a slip fit over the bottle handle ring.

I can't wait either but the kids' scouting activities are keeping us hopping this month.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Thrust collectors? Is that what they are called? Do they act as a tornado coupler?
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Asupremeflight wrote:Thrust collectors? Is that what they are called? Do they act as a tornado coupler?

Well, that's what I am calling them. They are the primary transfer of horizontal thrust to the ski. The bottles are just held in place with rubber screen repair cord. The back end bottles push up against the couplers to transmit thrust to the ski. The rear bottles are connected through the thrust collectors to the front bottles with bottle cap/lamp rod connectors but they are free slide inside the thrust collectors.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Ok I did notice the sliders now on the picture.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Something Wicked 1st launch
Something Wicked 1st launch
image.jpg (104.86 KiB) Viewed 17 times
Launched!

[youtube][/youtube]
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Asupremeflight, just wanted to say thanks for the idea- this has been a rather fun challenge!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

That was nice! Congrats on a successful launch. Those nozzles you have on there really make a cool effect. Now for the night run with the lights.if that were completely flat packed snow instead of the fluffy stuff it would have gone 2x as far I'm sure.no worries about stability there nice job.

That is why I did it for the fun of it. Makes for great entertainment in between all the frustration involved in making my FTC deploy system.

We finally have the perfect conditions for an ice run in the farmers field. (it was snow covered last time). tomorrow the kids have a half day at school so I may also have a half day. I'm hoping to get onboard video as well as regular vids.

Where the heck is spring?!
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Spring can take its time :-)

I've learned a lot with this build-
1. PVC stinks. Cutting, routing, and glueing PVC makes it stink even worse. But it's awesome stuff.
2. When a I design a laucher to load water with the rocket on it, I should really take my own advice. (take the hose dummy)
3. Water should be limited so that it doesn't spill past the robinson style coupling. Once past the coupling, it doesn't do a good job of coming out.
4. At 16l, this thing takes a lot of air. I got two launches at 95psi from my 32gal compressor tank. I should be sure to have my 12v compressor on hand to augment or just take the generator.
5. Time flies when you are having fun!
6. Lights may be cool but during the day little LEDs don't show up very well. (yep they were on)
7. Don't set up the launch cable to be directly in line with the exhaust. Its not as much fun to get wet during the winter.
8. It takes a lot longer than expected to go through a Costco sized bottle of Bissel steam cleaner detergent. The caps make great looking expansion nozzles.

Looking forward to seeing your next video. We took a cam and a gps to strap on to the rocket but ran out of time and air.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

New video.
[youtube][/youtube]
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

bugwubber wrote:Spring can take its time :-)

I've learned a lot with this build-
1. PVC stinks. Cutting, routing, and glueing PVC makes it stink even worse. But it's awesome stuff.
2. When a I design a laucher to load water with the rocket on it, I should really take my own advice. (take the hose dummy)
3. Water should be limited so that it doesn't spill past the robinson style coupling. Once past the coupling, it doesn't do a good job of coming out.
4. At 16l, this thing takes a lot of air. I got two launches at 95psi from my 32gal compressor tank. I should be sure to have my 12v compressor on hand to augment or just take the generator.
5. Time flies when you are having fun!
6. Lights may be cool but during the day little LEDs don't show up very well. (yep they were on)
7. Don't set up the launch cable to be directly in line with the exhaust. Its not as much fun to get wet during the winter.
8. It takes a lot longer than expected to go through a Costco sized bottle of Bissel steam cleaner detergent. The caps make great looking expansion nozzles.

Looking forward to seeing your next video. We took a cam and a gps to strap on to the rocket but ran out of time and air.
Bug.. You did a great job on that launcher. I'm sure it was worth all the trouble.

I used tornado couplings and they worked great. I filled the 1st and second chambers with water and even some in the forward-most bottle and all but a tiny trickle was left inside.

Costco steam cleaner detergent bottles...I was wondering how you made those. they do look cool and give a great effect.

A gps would be a great way to measure accurately the distance. All I have is one you put in a car. Not sure how accurate those would be.