Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

The largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

Water Rocket Ski

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
User avatar
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Water Rocket Ski

Post by Asupremeflight » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:18 am

Okay so I was passing this empty iced over farmers field the other day when I had a neat idea. Why not strap a water rocket to a ski and see how it would go. Like some of you I have been patiently waiting out the winter here in the midwest but I have been itching to fly. this was the next best thing.

Here's the rig...
IMAG0484.jpg
IMAG0485.jpg
DSCN3224[1].JPG
I was trying to put up a video but it is in mov format so I cant I will try again this weekend. The video was not that good anyhow. I got a little jumpy after launch and missed the middle portion. I will get better video this weekend.

Results: The ski went an unofficial 450 ft. I was not expecting much of this attempt but I was more than impressed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Asupremeflight wrote:Okay so I was passing this empty iced over farmers field the other day when I had a neat idea. Why not strap a water rocket to a ski and see how it would go. Like some of you I have been patiently waiting out the winter here in the midwest but I have been itching to fly. this was the next best thing.

Here's the rig...
IMAG0484.jpg
IMAG0485.jpg
DSCN3224[1].JPG
I was trying to put up a video but it is in mov format so I cant I will try again this weekend. The video was not that good anyhow. I got a little jumpy after launch and missed the middle portion. I will get better video this weekend.

Results: The ski went an unofficial 450 ft. I was not expecting much of this attempt but I was more than impressed.
That's actually pretty cool. One day we will try something like that. We could shoot it across the lake because it's perfectly flat and has no trees. It would be fun!


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

User avatar
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by Asupremeflight » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:36 am

A frozen lake came to mind also when I saw the farmers field. (flooded and froze). However our lake Winnebago was loaded with sturgeon anglers. I'm pretty sure the ski would hold on solid ice too. However if I do launch on solid ice just to minimize the chances of wipeout I would rig up 2 skis at a slight angle in order for the edges to cut into the ice as it goes. If it went that far on fresh snow we should think it would glide even further on ice. :D



User avatar
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by Asupremeflight » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:41 am

I'm sensing a new Water rocket challenge in the makings. Just another world record for you guys to beat. LOL!

I've yet to see any post about water rocket boats. Any out there floating around? Ha! "floating"



User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by bugwubber » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 am

It is so on! My useless Xc skis are about to get the shock of their dust covered lives!


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by Asupremeflight » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:10 am

From what I understand there are quite a few frozen lakes there in MN this time of year.



User avatar
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by Asupremeflight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:32 pm

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=102 ... =2&theater

I'm not sure if that link will work or not. It is for a video of the rocket ski in action.



SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by SaskAlex » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:04 am

You know, I never really got that intrigued by the WR cars, but that was just plain cool! Next challenge- send it off a jump and have it land it. With some big fins/wings, might be doable.



User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by bugwubber » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:53 am

Asupremeflight wrote:From what I understand there are quite a few frozen lakes there in MN this time of year.
Yeah watching the car races on them is just surreal. (I'm orig from Texas)


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by bugwubber » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Going to be a busy weekend, hope I get to finish it...
somthingwicked.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by Asupremeflight » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:24 am

Gigity! You got to jump it.
I jumped mine last weekend and it flew about 60 ft. It flipped over and crashed but it was still cool. I did not have a wing on it. I have a vid I will try to do a Facebook thingymajiggy again.
Are you going to use the Cinco launcher?



User avatar
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by Asupremeflight » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:33 am

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=102 ... =2&theater

There it is.if it had a large wing it would have seriously taken off.
May have a need for a deployment mech soon.



User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by bugwubber » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Asupremeflight wrote:Gigity! You got to jump it.
I jumped mine last weekend and it flew about 60 ft. It flipped over and crashed but it was still cool. I did not have a wing on it. I have a vid I will try to do a Facebook thingymajiggy again.
Are you going to use the Cinco launcher?
Love the video!
I'm splicing up the rest of the bottles tonight, will do dual 5 bottle rockets. They will connect to tubes 2 and 3 on my launcher so the potential for a second rocket to drag race is there...


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by Asupremeflight » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Nice. Can't wait to see the vid.



User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:23 pm

bugwubber wrote:
Asupremeflight wrote:Gigity! You got to jump it.
I jumped mine last weekend and it flew about 60 ft. It flipped over and crashed but it was still cool. I did not have a wing on it. I have a vid I will try to do a Facebook thingymajiggy again.
Are you going to use the Cinco launcher?
Love the video!
I'm splicing up the rest of the bottles tonight, will do dual 5 bottle rockets. They will connect to tubes 2 and 3 on my launcher so the potential for a second rocket to drag race is there...

Your launcher is proving to be very versatile! Good job!


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

Post Reply