Water Rocket Ski

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Ski

Post by Asupremeflight »

Okay so I was passing this empty iced over farmers field the other day when I had a neat idea. Why not strap a water rocket to a ski and see how it would go. Like some of you I have been patiently waiting out the winter here in the midwest but I have been itching to fly. this was the next best thing.

Here's the rig...
IMAG0484.jpg
IMAG0484.jpg (559.21 KiB) Viewed 115 times
IMAG0485.jpg
IMAG0485.jpg (500.29 KiB) Viewed 115 times
Here's the set up
Here's the set up
DSCN3224[1].JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 115 times
I was trying to put up a video but it is in mov format so I cant I will try again this weekend. The video was not that good anyhow. I got a little jumpy after launch and missed the middle portion. I will get better video this weekend.

Results: The ski went an unofficial 450 ft. I was not expecting much of this attempt but I was more than impressed.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Water Rocket Ski

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Asupremeflight wrote:Okay so I was passing this empty iced over farmers field the other day when I had a neat idea. Why not strap a water rocket to a ski and see how it would go. Like some of you I have been patiently waiting out the winter here in the midwest but I have been itching to fly. this was the next best thing.

Here's the rig...
IMAG0484.jpg
IMAG0485.jpg
DSCN3224[1].JPG
I was trying to put up a video but it is in mov format so I cant I will try again this weekend. The video was not that good anyhow. I got a little jumpy after launch and missed the middle portion. I will get better video this weekend.

Results: The ski went an unofficial 450 ft. I was not expecting much of this attempt but I was more than impressed.
That's actually pretty cool. One day we will try something like that. We could shoot it across the lake because it's perfectly flat and has no trees. It would be fun!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

A frozen lake came to mind also when I saw the farmers field. (flooded and froze). However our lake Winnebago was loaded with sturgeon anglers. I'm pretty sure the ski would hold on solid ice too. However if I do launch on solid ice just to minimize the chances of wipeout I would rig up 2 skis at a slight angle in order for the edges to cut into the ice as it goes. If it went that far on fresh snow we should think it would glide even further on ice. :D
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

I'm sensing a new Water rocket challenge in the makings. Just another world record for you guys to beat. LOL!

I've yet to see any post about water rocket boats. Any out there floating around? Ha! "floating"
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

It is so on! My useless Xc skis are about to get the shock of their dust covered lives!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

From what I understand there are quite a few frozen lakes there in MN this time of year.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

I'm not sure if that link will work or not. It is for a video of the rocket ski in action.
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

You know, I never really got that intrigued by the WR cars, but that was just plain cool! Next challenge- send it off a jump and have it land it. With some big fins/wings, might be doable.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Asupremeflight wrote:From what I understand there are quite a few frozen lakes there in MN this time of year.
Yeah watching the car races on them is just surreal. (I'm orig from Texas)
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Going to be a busy weekend, hope I get to finish it...
somthingwicked.JPG
somthingwicked.JPG (522.46 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Gigity! You got to jump it.
I jumped mine last weekend and it flew about 60 ft. It flipped over and crashed but it was still cool. I did not have a wing on it. I have a vid I will try to do a Facebook thingymajiggy again.
Are you going to use the Cinco launcher?
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

There it is.if it had a large wing it would have seriously taken off.
May have a need for a deployment mech soon.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Asupremeflight wrote:Gigity! You got to jump it.
I jumped mine last weekend and it flew about 60 ft. It flipped over and crashed but it was still cool. I did not have a wing on it. I have a vid I will try to do a Facebook thingymajiggy again.
Love the video!
I'm splicing up the rest of the bottles tonight, will do dual 5 bottle rockets. They will connect to tubes 2 and 3 on my launcher so the potential for a second rocket to drag race is there...
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Nice. Can't wait to see the vid.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
Asupremeflight wrote:Gigity! You got to jump it.
Love the video!
I'm splicing up the rest of the bottles tonight, will do dual 5 bottle rockets. They will connect to tubes 2 and 3 on my launcher so the potential for a second rocket to drag race is there...

Your launcher is proving to be very versatile! Good job!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison