Water Rockets Day 8

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
jerm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rockets Day 8

Post by jerm »

Hi,

Some days just don't go as planned. There were lots of little things all day and this was our first chance to fly the altimeter. DY Water Rockets were keen to see how high we were flying and it was not the best day to fly, the wind was up. We had our first splice fail.

DY WATER ROCKETS

[youtube][/youtube]
DY Water Rockets
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Water Rockets Day 8

Post by Asupremeflight »

Sorry about the flights. I know what it is like to have high expectations and to not meet them. My thing is my rockets are tree magnets. I have also had failures with the tomy timers but have since learned that even the slightest tweak will have a negative result. What I have been doing is I practice... A dry run if you will... 10 straight simulated launches with the deploy mech (I.e. Tomy timer) if just 1 out of the 10 does not deploy the chute I start over. When you hit 10 straight then you will remember precisely how you did it. ( muscle memory).

What are you using for the adhesive? Is that the sikaflex? I did not notice any reinforcing sleeve with PL Premium. That may help keep the splice from separation.

Get back out there. There are slot more successes awaiting you and your Boy.

Must be nice to have at least decent temperatures to launch in. I am regulated to launching skis at this time here. However Spring is right around the corner. Can't wait!

Best of luck to you.
jerm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by jerm »

Hi Asupremeflight and thanks for having a look at the video. Yes the glue is Sikaflex FC 11, the PL premium is hard to get but you can get it in Australia. I may have to get some sooner than later. You are right there was no reinforcing sleeve, this was a test and a failure.

We had a look at your last post “awesome” was the comment from my son.

Thanks again from DY Water Rockets on a fine and sunny 21C day. Not so cold.

DY WATER ROCKETS
DY Water Rockets
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

yeah unfortunately both of my computers are down right now and I cannot upload a video from my iPad or phone so the video will have to wait. I'm assuming you're talking about the ski correct? it was actually pretty cool.
air.command

Post by air.command »

jerm wrote:Hi Asupremeflight and thanks for having a look at the video. Yes the glue is Sikaflex FC 11, the PL premium is hard to get but you can get it in Australia. I may have to get some sooner than later. You are right there was no reinforcing sleeve, this was a test and a failure.
Hi jerm, Sikaflex 11FC by itself is really weak and will not hold a splice together. When we tried sikaflex 11FC-only splice it failed at IIRC ~50psi. So really the safe launch pressure would be closer to 30psi. If you can get your hands on PL you won't look back.

- George
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
jerm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by jerm »

Hi, Air Command - George,

It failed at just under 50psi and I have seen PL online but not in the shops. I will work on this given the big advantage the PL has over every other glue.

DY Water Rockets
DY Water Rockets
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

jerm wrote:Hi, Air Command - George,

It failed at just under 50psi and I have seen PL online but not in the shops. I will work on this given the big advantage the PL has over every other glue.

DY Water Rockets
Hi Jerm,

Our modernized splicing tutorial presents the latest in splicing technology. We use PL Premium in the example, but other types of Polyurethane glues work very well with this updated technique. If you take your time and don't cut corners you can get wonderful results:

http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
jerm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by jerm »

Hi,

Thanks for the post and link. I agree taking my time doing the splice is good advice. I rushed this one and payed the price. I have taken splices to 100psi with no issue in the past. This failed at 50psi.

DY Water Rockets
DY Water Rockets
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

jerm wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the post and link. I agree taking my time doing the splice is good advice. I rushed this one and payed the price. I have taken splices to 100psi with no issue in the past. This failed at 50psi.

DY Water Rockets

A good splice is mostly accomplished if you do a lot of them at the same time. You can tweak the temperature and time of your shrinking on a scrap bottle until you get it perfect and then do a whole bunch of them all at that setting.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
jerm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by jerm »

Hi U.S. Water Rockets

This run was a run of 3 and I rushed the process. The last run was much better when I took my time and had much better control of the temperature and glue. The last run is holding pressers of over 100psi and this bottle felled at about 50psi. the glue came completely of the PET, there was no bond at all to the plastic.

I think I need much better preparation of the PET before bonding the segments.

Thanks for your comments.

DY Water Rockets
DY Water Rockets
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

jerm wrote:Hi U.S. Water Rockets

This run was a run of 3 and I rushed the process. The last run was much better when I took my time and had much better control of the temperature and glue. The last run is holding pressers of over 100psi and this bottle felled at about 50psi. the glue came completely of the PET, there was no bond at all to the plastic.

I think I need much better preparation of the PET before bonding the segments.

Thanks for your comments.

DY Water Rockets

If the glue peeled off then you may not have sanded it enough at the joint, or you left oil from your skin on the joints before applying the glue.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
jerm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by jerm »

Hi US water rockets,

The next run I will be taking my time, cleaning the bottles better and giving the joint a very good sand. Thanks for your comments.

DY Water Rockets.
DY Water Rockets
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

jerm wrote:Hi US water rockets,

The next run I will be taking my time, cleaning the bottles better and giving the joint a very good sand. Thanks for your comments.

DY Water Rockets.
Don't forget to wash all of the oils off the bottles as well.

Something we need to investigate yet is whether trying to clean the oils off the bottle with alcohol will drive the moisture from the surface of the PET and cause the PL to cure much slower. This is yet to be confirmed.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page