The 2013 Team SPEW lineup

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

The 2013 Team SPEW lineup

Post by bugwubber »

So here's the Team SPEW lineup for 2013. Life really got in the way of our plans this summer so we had to save our more complex rockets with electronic recovery systems on them for next year.

They are from left to right
Charlie Laser Pears 2l (30ish flights?)
Traveling Sprinkler 1.5l (new)
Duck 1.5l (new)
CALGON 2l (new)
Water Buffalo 2l (3 flights)
Just add water 16oz (50ish flights)
And the Team SPEW Aquanaughts
Team SPEW 2013 Lineup
Team SPEW 2013 Lineup
DSC09868.jpg (170.4 KiB) Viewed 73 times
What's that? Oh the one in the back? That's BEST. I don't have a support structure to launch that one just yet. So BEST is probably going to get a 2014 laucnh date.

I am taking this motley crew and the Water Rocket Derby Launcher to a Scout Expo tomorrow. While I'm there, we'll do some comparisons and see which of these performs best. Any predictions?

Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
ptx
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: The 2013 Team SPEW lineup

Post by ptx »

bugwubber wrote:So here's the Team SPEW lineup for 2013. Life really got in the way of our plans this summer so we had to save our more complex rockets with electronic recovery systems on them for next year.

They are from left to right
Charlie Laser Pears 2l (30ish flights?)
Traveling Sprinkler 1.5l (new)
Duck 1.5l (new)
CALGON 2l (new)
Water Buffalo 2l (3 flights)
Just add water 16oz (50ish flights)
And the Team SPEW Aquanaughts

DSC09868.jpg

What's that? Oh the one in the back? That's BEST. I don't have a support structure to launch that one just yet. So BEST is probably going to get a 2014 laucnh date.

I am taking this motley crew and the Water Rocket Derby Launcher to a Scout Expo tomorrow. While I'm there, we'll do some comparisons and see which of these performs best. Any predictions?

Thanks,

Bugwubber

my bet will be on the Calgon, but only if it will carry the astronaut with the green hair .. :)
Nice fleet btw
ptx
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

"Calgon, take me away!"
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Water buffalo!
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Here's my favorite picture from the event.
DSC09880.jpg
DSC09880.jpg (391.38 KiB) Viewed 55 times
Here are the results-

Charlie Laser Pears: is proving hard to beat. Consistent performer
CALGON: apparently had too much fin as it lawn darted. Luckily I thought to use hot melt on the fins so they came right off. Will have to try smaller fins.
Go Fetch: is the purple tennis ball topped mini rocket from 2012. Excellent performer but comes down fast.
Duck: Really giving CLP a tight contest.
Water Buffalo: Seems to be having some stability problems. Larger fins may help. Everyone really got a kick out of loading the aquanaughts in it.
Traveling Sprinkler: lost its box fin by this flight. Need to redo the attachment.
Just add water: excellent flighs just not as high.

So a couple rebuilds and some more research is definitely warranted. :-)

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Here's a slide show with some more launch pictures.

[youtube][/youtube]
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Those are some really nice pictures! That multi-rocket launcher is really paying off. It's cool to see several rockets frozen in mid-launch all together.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:Those are some really nice pictures! That multi-rocket launcher is really paying off. It's cool to see several rockets frozen in mid-launch all together.
Thanks!

I like how they are each at a different stage of flight simply because while the % of water to volume is constant for the different size bottles, the nozzle size is also constant and therefore those with less water simply empty faster and accelerate quicker due to lower mass. Definitely was not what I originally expected. At some point I hope to put electronics in each one so I can make a graph showing the flight of each compared against each other.

Duck and Traveling Sprinkler (yellow and green ones) should have had similar flight profiles but I suspect there was some variance- perhaps extra wear on Duck's nozzle since it has done many more launches than Traveling Sprinkler. There's several pictures showing Duck ahead of Traveling Sprinkler even though they are almost identical. Could also be that the end tube is introducing more friction. I'll have to swap them around and see if I get the same effect.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:Those are some really nice pictures! That multi-rocket launcher is really paying off. It's cool to see several rockets frozen in mid-launch all together.
Thanks!

I like how they are each at a different stage of flight simply because while the % of water to volume is constant for the different size bottles, the nozzle size is also constant and therefore those with less water simply empty faster and accelerate quicker due to lower mass. Definitely was not what I originally expected. At some point I hope to put electronics in each one so I can make a graph showing the flight of each compared against each other.

Duck and Traveling Sprinkler (yellow and green ones) should have had similar flight profiles but I suspect there was some variance- perhaps extra wear on Duck's nozzle since it has done many more launches than Traveling Sprinkler. There's several pictures showing Duck ahead of Traveling Sprinkler even though they are almost identical. Could also be that the end tube is introducing more friction. I'll have to swap them around and see if I get the same effect.
A common experiment done in schools is to plot the distance a water rocket travels versus the mass of water in the rocket. They equate the distance with the velocity, so it shows exactly what you see in your "experiment". The lower mass will accelerate to a higher speed to a point but then the lack of reacton mass shortens the flight, so you end up with a nice bell curve showing where the sweet spot is for water fill. Your launcher could make this experiment quite easy because you could launch multiple identical rockets at one time.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello bugwubber,

That is a very civil group of rockets you have there, and the multi launcher is brill!

Do you use Robinson Couplings in some of your rockets.

Keep it up! J

Jamie B
JSB Rocketry
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Jamie5335 wrote:Hello bugwubber,

That is a very civil group of rockets you have there, and the multi launcher is brill!

Do you use Robinson Couplings in some of your rockets.

Keep it up! J

Jamie B
JSB Rocketry

Thanks Jamie!

While I do have a number of bottles and rockets that use the robinson coupling, they are not in any of the pictures or launches above.

The rockets above all have single pressure bottles. The payload sections are attached either by non removable glued skin or in the case of Charlie Laser Pears and CALGON, the only thing glued to the pressure vessel is fins and a bottle cap on top. The payload section then just screws into that bottle cap. The Just add water rocket is unique- it is just two bottles glued bottom to bottom. They are all Ballast Dumping Recovery except for Go Fetch which uses simple Air Compression Recovery (aka tennis ball tipped lawn dart).

Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.