Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

The largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

Launch report 8th june

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Post Reply
User avatar
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Launch report 8th june

Post by Daan.[D&P]Rockets* » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:04 pm

This is our latest rocker.
With a volume of 8 Liter. And pressure tested at 12 bar of 175 psi.
Last sunday we wanted to launch it at a safe pressure. Just for a test flight at 8 bar.
But there was a problem. We set the tommy timers for our dual deploy system if it was a launch for 12 bar. But the rocket didn't go that high on 8 bar as it should go on 12 bar. So the apogee came quicker then the parachutes came out. So the rocket was on his way down when the parachutes came out. But the parachutelines snapt :cry:
Everything did work. Both parachutes came out.. but they came out a bit to late..

But the rocket is still in tact and we are comming back with some greather hights with this rocket! the rocket did get to 391'. We can get higher :WRA2:

See the movie:

[youtube][/youtube]

Thnx for watching!

Greetz Team.[D&P] Rockets*



User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:37 am

Daan.[D&P]Rockets* wrote:This is our latest rocker.
With a volume of 8 Liter. And pressure tested at 12 bar of 175 psi.
Last sunday we wanted to launch it at a safe pressure. Just for a test flight at 8 bar.
But there was a problem. We set the tommy timers for our dual deploy system if it was a launch for 12 bar. But the rocket didn't go that high on 8 bar as it should go on 12 bar. So the apogee came quicker then the parachutes came out. So the rocket was on his way down when the parachutes came out. But the parachutelines snapt :cry:
Everything did work. Both parachutes came out.. but they came out a bit to late..

Greetz Team.[D&P] Rockets*
Sorry to hear you had a crash but glad it didn't do too much damage.

What happened on the launch? Did you break the line that launches the rocket too? Maybe that was an omen that you would have bad luck with strings that day? :?


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"

User avatar
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:44 am

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Tim Chen » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:55 am

Don't worry guys, our rockets have torn the parachutes off and crashed several times. It happens to every rocket once in a while. Pyro rockets have the same problem only they usually have the rocket body rip apart by the string other than the string breaking, because the tubes they use are just paper!


Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise

User avatar
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Daan.[D&P]Rockets* » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:54 am

The rope i broke to launche the rocket was the same rope as used for the parachutes.
I should aborted the launch when i broke the the line so easely. But i was so thrilled to launch it!

Next time stronger lines :wink:



User avatar
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:44 am

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Tim Chen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:24 pm

Daan.[D&P]Rockets* wrote:The rope i broke to launche the rocket was the same rope as used for the parachutes.
I should aborted the launch when i broke the the line so easely. But i was so thrilled to launch it!

Next time stronger lines :wink:
You didn't have your camera onboard that rocket when it crashed, did you? That would be bad!


Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise

User avatar
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Daan.[D&P]Rockets* » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 am

no,

not yet 8) me and Pleun are looking for a cheap camera.
Something like a flycamone 2. It makes some pretty nice movies and pics.
But its still 65€ and we have an alt 15 K altimiter on board 70 €.. if it crashes then that would be double bad!

But we will get it! :lol:



User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 am

Daan.[D&P]Rockets* wrote:no,

not yet 8) me and Pleun are looking for a cheap camera.
Something like a flycamone 2. It makes some pretty nice movies and pics.
But its still 65€ and we have an alt 15 K altimiter on board 70 €.. if it crashes then that would be double bad!

But we will get it! :lol:
Mark Chen was just talking about this camera in one of the other topics. He said something about firmware problems with that camera. I didn't realize it costs that much either. There area lot of less expensive cameras out there but most of them are too heavy for rockets. :cry:


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"

User avatar
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:13 pm

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Mark Chen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Daan.[D&P]Rockets* wrote:no,

not yet 8) me and Pleun are looking for a cheap camera.
Something like a flycamone 2. It makes some pretty nice movies and pics.
But its still 65€ and we have an alt 15 K altimiter on board 70 €.. if it crashes then that would be double bad!

But we will get it! :lol:
Mark Chen was just talking about this camera in one of the other topics. He said something about firmware problems with that camera. I didn't realize it costs that much either. There area lot of less expensive cameras out there but most of them are too heavy for rockets. :cry:
Spaceman, that flycamone 2 ilooks like the second generation flycamone and the original flycamone is the same camera that we found in the thrift store for under $20! I justy googled it! I bet these companies just bought them from China and renamed them "flycamone" and "flycamone 2" and then sold them for $100! They must think we're real suckers!

I'm gonna to have to check out the thrift store and see if they have the new flycamone 2 (what a DUMB name) for $20 too now!

Check out the original version flycamone and tell me this isn't the same camera we sold you only they marked it up 500% in price:

http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=259#p259

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/images/Fl ... ne-WEB.jpg

That new version flycamone 2 looks nice even if it's got firmware bugs it would be worth the real $20 price I'm sure!


Mark Chen
Team Enterprise

User avatar
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:44 am

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Tim Chen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:15 pm

You guys want to see something really funny:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLYCAMONE-Micro-Col ... dZViewItem

Someone bought up a boatload of the odd-lot store Chinese flycamones and is selling them on ebay for $120! That's more than the new model!

I wonder if anyone ever fell for that guys ebay scam?


Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise

User avatar
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Daan.[D&P]Rockets* » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:53 pm

have you guys found a fly came one 2 for 20$?
for 20 dollar i want to buy it :)



User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Launch report 8th june

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:10 am

Daan.[D&P]Rockets* wrote:have you guys found a fly came one 2 for 20$?
for 20 dollar i want to buy it :)
I have searched and found that many people are finding the first Flycam for cheap prices but so far no second revision. If I do find it I will let you guys know. In spite of it's problems it is small and light enough for water rockets and that's what counts!


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"

Post Reply