altimeter

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
C.I.A.C
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

altimeter

Post by C.I.A.C »

hi, again

here is our way to make an altimeter, its telemetry , here is our team making sure that works
Attachments
DSC00473.JPG
DSC00473.JPG (2.7 MiB) Viewed 439 times
DSC00472.JPG
DSC00472.JPG (2.67 MiB) Viewed 439 times
CSAldridge
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: altimeter

Post by CSAldridge »

will this type of measurement be allowed for contests instead of a device on the rocket?

it would seem you would need to keep your survey device pretty far from the launch spot to get an accurate reading. lower the angle the more accurate it would be.

and deviation from a vertical launch would compound the inaccuracy. if you could keep the angle below 45 degrees it would seem to be reasonably accurate.

setting it to 45 degrees and pacing off X distance would allow you to quickly determine if you are launching over X feet. (assuming you have a near vertical launch)

now if you had two of these setup at 90 degrees from each other with video cameras, I dont see why it wouldnt be accepted as a legitimate measurement. all necessary data for verifying the flight would be there i would think. put a curved marker to sight against with the angles marked on it so it could show up on the video. would need two surveyors with steady hands though.

on second thought it would be cheaper just to buy an altimeter. interesting method though.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CSAldridge wrote:will this type of measurement be allowed for contests instead of a device on the rocket?

it would seem you would need to keep your survey device pretty far from the launch spot to get an accurate reading. lower the angle the more accurate it would be.

and deviation from a vertical launch would compound the inaccuracy. if you could keep the angle below 45 degrees it would seem to be reasonably accurate.

setting it to 45 degrees and pacing off X distance would allow you to quickly determine if you are launching over X feet. (assuming you have a near vertical launch)

now if you had two of these setup at 90 degrees from each other with video cameras, I dont see why it wouldnt be accepted as a legitimate measurement. all necessary data for verifying the flight would be there i would think. put a curved marker to sight against with the angles marked on it so it could show up on the video. would need two surveyors with steady hands though.

I think the concerns people had in the past were that the readings were subject to human error so anyone could dispute them if they wanted to be a pain.

on second thought it would be cheaper just to buy an altimeter. interesting method though.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CSAldridge wrote:will this type of measurement be allowed for contests instead of a device on the rocket?

Oops. I accidentally posted inside your quote.

I said: I think the concerns people had in the past were that the readings were subject to human error so anyone could dispute them if they wanted to be a pain.
Spaceman Spiff
CSAldridge
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by CSAldridge »

yeah i suppose.

The idea of being so reliant on electronics for something so simple festers in my soul though.

think i might make one of these till i can get the required equipment.
C.I.A.C
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by C.I.A.C »

hi,
we use that because in the moments we won`t use electronics, it`s 100m away fram the louncher
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

C.I.A.C wrote:hi,
we use that because in the moments we won`t use electronics, it`s 100m away fram the louncher
I think I read somewhere that the optimal distance to take the measurement of the angle is the same distance from the launcher as the expected altitude of the rocket. If you are going to fly 200 meters high you should be 200 meters away from the launcher.
Spaceman Spiff
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
C.I.A.C wrote:hi,
I think I read somewhere that the optimal distance to take the measurement of the angle is the same distance from the launcher as the expected altitude of the rocket. If you are going to fly 200 meters high you should be 200 meters away from the launcher.
I don't think we could reliably see our launching pad from 2200+ feet away. The rocket is practically invisible at this height too. You would need some like of scope to sight in on our rocket. We'll stick to what we've been using. It's a lot less work!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison