Disastrous launch attempt :(

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Disastrous launch attempt :(

Post by Tim Chen »

CSAldridge wrote:ok, who wants to build a new winter launcher with a bunch of hair dryers arrayed around the rocket keeping everything toasty during pre-launch.

you know you want to... 8P
Maybe I can just shoot them out of the sunroof of my car? It's nice and warm inside!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

Tim Chen wrote:
CSAldridge wrote:ok, who wants to build a new winter launcher with a bunch of hair dryers arrayed around the rocket keeping everything toasty during pre-launch.

you know you want to... 8P
Maybe I can just shoot them out of the sunroof of my car? It's nice and warm inside!
...until all of the water comes out and soaks you are your car LOL :D
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Well if freezing is what you're worried about we can confirm that you can use antifreeze windshield washer fluid if you want to fly when the temperature is below freezing. We have successfully tested Methyl Alcohol based washer fluid and found that other than the expected decrease in maximum apogee, the fluid worked well to prevent freezing. It probably has too much alcohol content for use in a competition launch, but for our testing purposes it served it's purpose. We had no problems with it except for a silly looking blue water column. :wink:
Attachments
reactionmass.jpg
reactionmass.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 259 times
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Achtung!

As far as I remember, polyurethane cement doesn't like alcohol.

Regards
Soren
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

Yeah, cold weather really tests your equipment. If ya have stuff that operates in winter...you have good good designs!!
Later 8)
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Haha, yeah I tried yesterday. After the first launch, my crushing sleeve launcher froze stuck all the time, and I needed to warm the check valve on my pump with my hands to get it to work...

One flight video is quite funny, it goes like:

... five ... four ... three ... two ... one ... hnnnngnNGRRR? ... it's - STUCK!!!

;)

PS: thanks for enabling "Edit".

Regards
Soren
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:Well if freezing is what you're worried about we can confirm that you can use antifreeze windshield washer fluid if you want to fly when the temperature is below freezing. We have successfully tested Methyl Alcohol based washer fluid and found that other than the expected decrease in maximum apogee, the fluid worked well to prevent freezing. It probably has too much alcohol content for use in a competition launch, but for our testing purposes it served it's purpose. We had no problems with it except for a silly looking blue water column. :wink:

mmmmm im not to keen on using this type of chemical product as its pretty toxic , salt water does not freeze as easily as normal water or maybe even just vinegar (alcohol at about 2-6%) or evn warm water i have a 20litre water barrel that i use in my workshop (which is unheated) ive wrapped it in neoprene foam and taped it up and so far it hasnt frozen (lowest registered temperature in the workshop has been -12°c, so if you insulated your water container and filled it with warm water it would stay above zero for a good while......
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

andicirk wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:Well if freezing is what you're worried about we can confirm that you can use antifreeze windshield washer fluid if you want to fly when the temperature is below freezing. We have successfully tested Methyl Alcohol based washer fluid and found that other than the expected decrease in maximum apogee, the fluid worked well to prevent freezing. It probably has too much alcohol content for use in a competition launch, but for our testing purposes it served it's purpose. We had no problems with it except for a silly looking blue water column. :wink:

mmmmm im not to keen on using this type of chemical product as its pretty toxic , salt water does not freeze as easily as normal water or maybe even just vinegar (alcohol at about 2-6%) or evn warm water i have a 20litre water barrel that i use in my workshop (which is unheated) ive wrapped it in neoprene foam and taped it up and so far it hasnt frozen (lowest registered temperature in the workshop has been -12°c, so if you insulated your water container and filled it with warm water it would stay above zero for a good while......
Sugar will lower the freezing temperature of water too!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

I think I'll just just plain water in the rockets next time I go, but I will take one of those squirt bottles with alcohol or antifreeze with me, to treat the launcher after each launch.

Regards
Soren
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

andicirk wrote: mmmmm im not to keen on using this type of chemical product as its pretty toxic , salt water does not freeze as easily as normal water or maybe even just vinegar (alcohol at about 2-6%) or evn warm water i have a 20litre water barrel that i use in my workshop (which is unheated) ive wrapped it in neoprene foam and taped it up and so far it hasnt frozen (lowest registered temperature in the workshop has been -12°c, so if you insulated your water container and filled it with warm water it would stay above zero for a good while......
It can't be any more toxic than the paint I put on my rockets or the glue that holds them together, not to mention the soft drinks that come in the bottles!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
CSAldridge
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by CSAldridge »

are you saying softdrinks are toxic? heh.

lets make super sugar saturated coolaid the official winter launch liquid. (preferably cherry)
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
andicirk wrote: mmmmm im not to keen on using this type of chemical product as its pretty toxic , salt water does not freeze as easily as normal water or maybe even just vinegar (alcohol at about 2-6%) or evn warm water i have a 20litre water barrel that i use in my workshop (which is unheated) ive wrapped it in neoprene foam and taped it up and so far it hasnt frozen (lowest registered temperature in the workshop has been -12°c, so if you insulated your water container and filled it with warm water it would stay above zero for a good while......
It can't be any more toxic than the paint I put on my rockets or the glue that holds them together, not to mention the soft drinks that come in the bottles!
as methanol is flamable and also affects aquatic life forms ajnd is highly toxic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

and we will be turning this into a vapor mist , that will spread about a fair bit

i think if your worried about your wrocket actually freezing to the launch tube then take a cloth and wipe some of this on the launcher tube .... but filling your wrocket with it for me is a bit of a no no
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hey, it's winter. No time to do Water rockets then, It's Model rockets season!

I neeed to go out and launch my 6 foot Mean Machine :)
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

andicirk wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
as methanol is flamable and also affects aquatic life forms ajnd is highly toxic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

and we will be turning this into a vapor mist , that will spread about a fair bit

i think if your worried about your wrocket actually freezing to the launch tube then take a cloth and wipe some of this on the launcher tube .... but filling your wrocket with it for me is a bit of a no no
No worries. This propellant is not pure methanol. It's diluted with water.
It's also sprayed as a mist and evaporated into the air every time you press the sprayer on your windshield washer. If this were a danger to anything, no matter how remote, it would be outlawed in the U.S.A. since this stuff is meant to be sprayed around we can be sure there's no danger.

We're very protective of the planet and wouldn't do anything that pollutes or will kill plants or animals. That's why we won't use harmful gasses like CO2 or even soap in our rockets either (we weren't aware of it's harmful effects until we tried it once and the next day discovered dead grass patches where we had set our launchers up). This washer fluid is very diluted and it also evaporates very rapidly. You would have to ingest it to get sick.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Cloud Dancers
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Cloud Dancers »

You guys are really dedicated to launch when it is that cold. For me winter is more for riding the 4 wheeler or the snowmobile through the woods. Did you guys use one to haul your stuff to your launch site?
The Cloud Dancers
Floating amongst the clouds