Disastrous launch attempt :(

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Disastrous launch attempt :(

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

I tried to get some beautiful pictures of the new snow today, from above, with a 6 * 2 liter rocket that I have had around for some time.

There was a FlyCamOne2 on it, and an RC receiver with a battery and a servo to deploy the parachute. Although I had previously tested the rocket to 8 bar, today it decided to fail at 7, and before the first launch!

The worst thing was that the camera (CHF 100), the receiver (CHF 150), the battery (CHF 25) and the servo (CHF 20) had all been blasted in different directions and had disappeared in the snow. And that one of the others there was a little dissatisfied with explosions and things flying around :) But at least the top half of the rocket came down nicely on the chute (and the nosecone is on orbit or something - never saw it).

Anyway, that same guy helped me search for the remains of my equipment, and we managed to recover the servo, the receiver and the battery! Not bad at all..

The losses were: One rocket (exploded), one parachute deployment nosecone (lost), one LiPo battery (lost) and one damaged receiver. And no pictures with snow.

I will have to implement remote controlled launch, and also actually use it.

Regards
Soren
Attachments
So the failure seems to have been in the 4th bottle from the top... which split down the side, and detached in both ends.<br />The green thing in the nose was the base for the parachute nose cone, made of another bottle bottom. The acceleration after the explosion was so high that it cracked in 1000 pieces..<br />The gray PVC tube is an air/water mixer, which has an effect similar to using foam.
So the failure seems to have been in the 4th bottle from the top... which split down the side, and detached in both ends.
The green thing in the nose was the base for the parachute nose cone, made of another bottle bottom. The acceleration after the explosion was so high that it cracked in 1000 pieces..
The gray PVC tube is an air/water mixer, which has an effect similar to using foam.
blasted_6x2_liter_rocket2.JPG (210.98 KiB) Viewed 500 times
It actually had 4 tail fins, but I only bothered to put on 3 of them :)
It actually had 4 tail fins, but I only bothered to put on 3 of them :)
blasted_6x2_liter_rocket1.JPG (196.14 KiB) Viewed 500 times
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Disastrous launch attempt :(

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Sorry to hear about your loss. From your description it sounds like you got off lightly as far as material losses were concerned. Had this pressure vessel been used previously, and at a similar pressure? Had it been in any hard landings before, that might have weakened it?
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Oh wait, did you lose the camera as well? 8-(
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Oops I meant we recovered the camera, not the battery.

The pressure vessel was once tested to 8 bar, but it had never flown before.

Regards
Soren
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

what did you use to make the fins?
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

The fins are 6 mm Depron. Any well-assorted R/C model shop should have it. It's a foam material mostly used for model airplanes etc.

I cut 2 side pieces out of it, with 4 triangular spars(?) to make the fins hollow, thick and stable.

Most people will glue it with 5 minute or 90 minute epoxy, but I use polyurethane (PU) cement instead: It's cheaper, needs no preparation/mixing, it contains no allergenic phenols etc., it has the same color as the foam, it is flexible and will no crack, and it is more than strong enough anyway. But it is slower all right.

Regards
Soren
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

ok thanks
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sorry to hear your snow launch didn't happen. That's a shame. At least you were able to recover the camera and electronics. I never anticipated that things could get lost in the snow. That's something people who launch in the winter may not have considered either! Now we know!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

I think the plastic is more prone to break at icy temperatures.
Maybe that is way it blasted.

Once a rocket I had blasted at 80 psi in the launch pad because it had a area less than cm2 pressed inward.

I asking you a favour, could post pictures more detailed of your "air/water mixer system" ?
Research and Development is the soul of WR
Aquafire
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aquafire »

RaZias wrote:I think the plastic is more prone to break at icy temperatures.

Once a rocket I had blasted at 80 psi in the launch pad because it had a area less than cm2 pressed inward.

I asking you a favour, could post pictures more detailed of your "air/water mixer system" ?

What if a person were to place warmed water inside the rocket in cold days? Would the plastic be warmed by the water enough to remain flexible?
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Aquafire wrote:
RaZias wrote:I think the plastic is more prone to break at icy temperatures.

What if a person were to place warmed water inside the rocket in cold days? Would the plastic be warmed by the water enough to remain flexible?
That might be worse because you would have a temperature differential at the level of the water line and that would cause the bottle to expand in an uneven manner and probably put stresses on the bottle that it wasn't designed for.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

Maybe envolving the rocket in neoprene ?
Research and Development is the soul of WR
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,
See this thread.

A good jet:barrel ratio is 2:1. That is, the total area of the holes in the side of the pipe is about 2 * the inner cross section area of the pipe. I don't know if other ratios are better - only that 1:1 performed terribly (no thrust).

It could also be worthwhile experimenting with many small vs. few large holes.

It really improves performance - I will see if I can find that old sheet of paper with "before" and "after" flight times that I recorded. Something like from 6.4 to 7.5 seconds average, over 3 flights.

Regards
Soren
Alex

Post by Alex »

yikes, well this happens, I've had about a dozen Model rockets explode on me mid flight....It's not a nice sight...Good luck next time....This was just your ''Challenger'' or Apollo 13 without the happy ending..... Give er' another go and you'll be fine.
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
CSAldridge
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by CSAldridge »

ok, who wants to build a new winter launcher with a bunch of hair dryers arrayed around the rocket keeping everything toasty during pre-launch.

you know you want to... 8P