Ask not...

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Ask not...

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Roof fixed, rocket fixed!

JohnC: This really is the best place I can find within reach... and Fred, the owner of the roof, didn't react all too bad. He just found me a spare tile, and asked me if I could put it on when I had time... and then went on to show me his newest helicopter.

BUT if I damage one of the cars he repairs, that's going to be trouble. I have to find out something to make 99% sure it will never happen. Like, launching further away from the house, launching only very small or controllable rockets, and using either winged rocket planes or 2 independent parachute systems.

His friends and customers fly R/C planes on the field every day. I have seen at least 4 crashed already (including my own)...

Regards
Soren
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

dongfang wrote:Hi,

Roof fixed, rocket fixed!

JohnC: This really is the best place I can find within reach... and Fred, the owner of the roof, didn't react all too bad. He just found me a spare tile, and asked me if I could put it on when I had time... and then went on to show me his newest helicopter.

BUT if I damage one of the cars he repairs, that's going to be trouble. I have to find out something to make 99% sure it will never happen. Like, launching further away from the house, launching only very small or controllable rockets, and using either winged rocket planes or 2 independent parachute systems.

His friends and customers fly R/C planes on the field every day. I have seen at least 4 crashed already (including my own)...

Regards
Soren
You could launch from close to his property and angle the rocket so that the trajectory will take it far away from the cars/houses. It's not that difficult to do, as we employ this technique to drop our rocket in the water instead of on land (where there are trees). The angle will reduce your maximum apogee altitude slightly, but it is worth it to have a safe flight.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Yeah ironically the best launch site would be right at the house! If the flight is vertical, my parachute system will work. If not, then the rocket will not hit the property.

The problem with it is that there is a sports complex with parking lot on the far side of the property...

But all right, my next flight, other than some parachute reliability tests, will be winged and remote controlled.

Regards
Soren
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Yeah ironically the best launch site would be right at the house! If the flight is vertical, my parachute system will work. If not, then the rocket will not hit the property.

The problem with it is that there is a sports complex with parking lot on the far side of the property...

But all right, my next flight, other than some parachute reliability tests, will be winged and remote controlled.

Regards
Soren
From the sound of things you would be the best guy to try and make a helicopter recovery rocket!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Regards
Soren
From the sound of things you would be the best guy to try and make a helicopter recovery rocket!
YEAH! Do it!!! :D
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise