Pressure tests...

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Pressure tests...

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Just some pictures I shot yesterday, doing pressure tests. Different from the way you do it??

The 4 * 1.5 liter Coca-Cola bottle rocket started leaking after 5-6 bar.
The large rocket exploded.
The other 2 were good for at least 7 bar.
The single bottle held out to 10 bar, and it could possibly have taken some more.

FINALLY, I got a bottle qualified for the plane.

Regards
Soren
Attachments
4 pressure vessels to test, from back to front: 7 * more or less whole 2 liter bottle rocket, (3 + 1/3) * 2 liter rocket (for shuttle plane), 4 * 1.5 liter Coca-Cola rocket (backup article for shuttle plane), 3 * 2 liter rocket (for shuttle plane) and a single bottle for reference.
4 pressure vessels to test, from back to front: 7 * more or less whole 2 liter bottle rocket, (3 + 1/3) * 2 liter rocket (for shuttle plane), 4 * 1.5 liter Coca-Cola rocket (backup article for shuttle plane), 3 * 2 liter rocket (for shuttle plane) and a single bottle for reference.
DSC_1029.JPG (57.28 KiB) Viewed 183 times
The burst test bunker - just some steel gratings and my old 110 mm PN16 PVC pipe (which I wanted to use as a chamber for a mega potato cannon!). Small rockets fit inside the pipe.
The burst test bunker - just some steel gratings and my old 110 mm PN16 PVC pipe (which I wanted to use as a chamber for a mega potato cannon!). Small rockets fit inside the pipe.
DSC_1031.JPG (138.23 KiB) Viewed 183 times
The 4 * 1.5 liter Coca-Cola rocket had a non catastrophic failure. It simply started leaking. I did use 2 * 1.5 liter Cola-Cola to 9 bar once, so I must have been unlucky this time.
The 4 * 1.5 liter Coca-Cola rocket had a non catastrophic failure. It simply started leaking. I did use 2 * 1.5 liter Cola-Cola to 9 bar once, so I must have been unlucky this time.
DSC_1033.JPG (96.16 KiB) Viewed 183 times
ARGH. My 7 bottle large rocket (actually the center section of the one that crashed through the roof, with new front and rear) failed - right in the middle.<br />There was nothing than a small splat of water and half the rocket creeping half a meter away - very undramatic. Failed at approx. 6.5 bar.
ARGH. My 7 bottle large rocket (actually the center section of the one that crashed through the roof, with new front and rear) failed - right in the middle.
There was nothing than a small splat of water and half the rocket creeping half a meter away - very undramatic. Failed at approx. 6.5 bar.
DSC_1035.JPG (108.82 KiB) Viewed 183 times
In detail. The Sprite bottle was glued over the transparent C-C bottle. The Sprite has torn all the way around, but the glue seam hasn't failed! I used a &quot;flap wheel&quot; to roughen the bottles when gluing - NOT some deep cutting grindstone thing. Still, my splices always fail around the top or the bottom, not in the middle - it indicates to me that I roughen too deep??
In detail. The Sprite bottle was glued over the transparent C-C bottle. The Sprite has torn all the way around, but the glue seam hasn't failed! I used a "flap wheel" to roughen the bottles when gluing - NOT some deep cutting grindstone thing. Still, my splices always fail around the top or the bottom, not in the middle - it indicates to me that I roughen too deep??
DSC_1034.JPG (92.26 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Pressure tests...

Post by Tim Chen »

Hi!

What is the dark colored pipe that is in the one rocket? Is that a nozzle or just part of the test setup you use for the pressure testing?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

It's the "carburettor" - an air / water mixer tube. It makes the rocket accelerate slower, burn longer and go higher!

Regards
Soren
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Hmm this link is what I meant. Same thread, but a little further down.
(could the jury be persuaded to turn on post-submit edit of posts? Many other forums have that).

Regards
Soren