after christmas launch

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

after christmas launch

Post by andicirk »

hi every one ,

i spent the last week before christmas building some launchers for all my freinds kids , so the first free weekend we had we all headed of to test the launchers and wrockets heres some photos......
100_1478.JPG
100_1478.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 211 times
100_1479.JPG
100_1479.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 211 times
100_1480.JPG
100_1480.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 202 times
100_1481.JPG
100_1481.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 201 times
100_1482.JPG
100_1482.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 195 times

well those are the launchers , basic cable tie launchers

all of the wrockets are lawn darts with the hope that this will get the kids into building there own and thinking about recovery systems

the wrockets them selves fly very , very straight (see video ((but please dont use this to quote safe practice , the kids are at a safe distance but were not))

other than that we launched about 40 times that after noon and only stopped because we had no stomach muscles left to pump with and the wrockets started freezing to the launchers

video

http://www.andicirk.org/wrockets/100_1477.MOV

and a big thanks to everyone, without this forum it would of been a lot harder ......;
Alex

Re: after christmas launch

Post by Alex »

Looks cool :)
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

Alex wrote:Looks cool :)
it was !!!

air temperature was 2°c but the pumping kept us busy and warm

we had some great flights and only one strange flight , the rocket went straight for the first few seconds then did a right turn at about 30degrees and speed of into the distance and landed about 100metres away , but all in all we had a great time , still dont have a way of measuring the height but the 2ltre rockets flew for about 9-12 seconds (launch to impact (they all weighed the same (180grams) and all had around a 20-25% fill )
i think the only difference is that the pressure gauge is not that accurate , we were launching between 9 and 11 bar but im pretty certain that we got too about 100metres that day and maybe a little more.....

i hope to be able to get an altimeter but not before i can perfect a recovery system....
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

andicirk wrote:
Alex wrote:Looks cool :)
it was !!!

air temperature was 2°c but the pumping kept us busy and warm

we had some great flights and only one strange flight , the rocket went straight for the first few seconds then did a right turn at about 30degrees and speed of into the distance and landed about 100metres away , but all in all we had a great time , still dont have a way of measuring the height but the 2ltre rockets flew for about 9-12 seconds (launch to impact (they all weighed the same (180grams) and all had around a 20-25% fill )
i think the only difference is that the pressure gauge is not that accurate , we were launching between 9 and 11 bar but im pretty certain that we got too about 100metres that day and maybe a little more.....

i hope to be able to get an altimeter but not before i can perfect a recovery system....

Sometimes the rocket can become unstable if the water sloshes around inside the bottle. This can be caused by the launcher shifting suddenly by an overly enthusiastic tug of the string. Your launcher designs are really elaborate and you've used rocks to hold them in place, so this may not be what caused your unstable flight.

Nice launchers! It looks like everyone had a good time in spite of the cold!

Welcome to the Winter Launch Club!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

i tried to make each launchers form a little different (so that the kids had there own special design), the largest launcher gives a little more power as it is a t connection and all of the others are elbow connections , i pressure tested them all to 12bar with no leaks

as for having fun we did , picnic, wrockets and a lot of laughs....

weve decided to do it each month ,all the kids together and lots of hands to pump...........

one last picture

100_1470.JPG
100_1470.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 140 times

thanks
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

andicirk wrote:i tried to make each launchers form a little different (so that the kids had there own special design), the largest launcher gives a little more power as it is a t connection and all of the others are elbow connections , i pressure tested them all to 12bar with no leaks.
Personalized launchers for each child.... Nice idea!!! That's one we can all use.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

i think it was important for the kids to have there own launcher that was the start of there project , now they can decorate it , modify it how they want, this gives them a real boost in and they dont have to wait so long in between launches , and can try there modifications on the wrocket and see there results fairly quickly , yesterday 3 of the kids telephoned to ask the date of the next launch ......