My first decent video

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

My first decent video

Post by SaskAlex »

Well, here is my first decent onboard video. It was on a 710 ml rocket. The bottle was reinforced by shrinking two more bottles around it. I launched at 210 psi, because I just took my bike pump out, but I've pressure tested this rocket to 250 psi.

[youtube][/youtube]

It reached 476 feet, which was a little disappointing. The same rocket reached 564 at only 200 psi without the FCO on board just yesterday. I didn't think it would make that much difference. Also, it looks like the rocket is still going up when the parachute deploys (when the red band in the foreground goes away), so that might be holding it back a little bit. I've gone far higher with my spliced rockets, but haven't launched one with the FCO yet.
Attachments
The little tab you can see at the base of the payload section gets pulled out at launch to start the tommy timer. Everything is internal.
The little tab you can see at the base of the payload section gets pulled out at launch to start the tommy timer. Everything is internal.
DSCI0022.JPG (146.52 KiB) Viewed 84 times
rockets-in-brighton

Re: My first decent video

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

SaskAlex wrote:Well, here is my first decent onboard video. It was on a 710 ml rocket. The bottle was reinforced by shrinking two more bottles around it. I launched at 210 psi, because I just took my bike pump out, but I've pressure tested this rocket to 250 psi.

[youtube][/youtube]

It reached 476 feet, which was a little disappointing. The same rocket reached 564 at only 200 psi without the FCO on board just yesterday. I didn't think it would make that much difference. Also, it looks like the rocket is still going up when the parachute deploys (when the red band in the foreground goes away), so that might be holding it back a little bit. I've gone far higher with my spliced rockets, but haven't launched one with the FCO yet.
Well done! Good long flight. 710ml? What kind of bottle is that, or is it spliced/coupled? I'm still scared to trust my deployment system so I'm working on getting backglider configuration as a safety backup if it fails. What model camera is that?
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

It's a single small pepsi bottle. Both pepsi and coke strated selling 710 ml bottles in 6 packs around here a few years ago. They are just like the 600 ml bottles, but taller. They are awesome for small rockets. And small rockets are awesome when it comes to pumping. :)

The camera is a FCO2. The raw video had a little better quality than on youtube. I only actually had two flights with this deployment system before I decided to put the camera on board. That might seem like tempting fate, but I really trust this design.
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

SaskAlex wrote:It's a single small pepsi bottle. Both pepsi and coke strated selling 710 ml bottles in 6 packs around here a few years ago. They are just like the 600 ml bottles, but taller. They are awesome for small rockets. And small rockets are awesome when it comes to pumping. :)
We don't have that size here, sadly. Sounds nice, I quite like small light rockets. On the other hand we do have a 3L (sparkling cider, I think) that I've been meaning to try some time. Don't like cider, though.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton