First launch of Vesta II

Post photos and videos of your rocket, launches and your onboard video or photos here. A wide variety of formats supported including attachments and embedded youtube.
Stevo14

First launch of Vesta II

Post by Stevo14 »

I had some fun this afternoon launching my new Vesta II rocket for the first time.
No recovery system yet (besides NOAA -> hope and pray :) ), although it is designed to use an in-line deployment system like the one from AirCommand water rockets.

Inaugural launch:
[youtube][/youtube]

Basic Specs:
Volume: 3.35 liters
Fill volume: 0.88 liters
Height: 79 cm
Diameter: 9 cm
Dry Mass: 196 grams
Nozzle: 9 mm Gardena

For a little fun, I calculated the theoretical Isp of this rocket, which is about 3.02 seconds.
rockets-in-brighton

Re: First launch of Vesta II

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Mulţumesc! I enjoyed the videos. How did you splice your rocket together?

Parachutes are so tricky. I have all but given up on purely mechanical deployment.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Stevo14

Post by Stevo14 »

Cu plăcere! :) I'm glad you enjoyed them. The bottles are just Robinson-coupled base to base with some clear silicone sealer in place of the o-rings. I have a prototype electrical timer circuit that works with a dc motor for deployment, but it's not ready for flight yet.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Stevo14 wrote:I had some fun this afternoon launching my new Vesta II rocket for the first time.
No recovery system yet (besides NOAA -> hope and pray :) ), although it is designed to use an in-line deployment system like the one from AirCommand water rockets.

Inaugural launch:
[youtube][/youtube]

Basic Specs:
Volume: 3.35 liters
Fill volume: 0.88 liters
Height: 79 cm
Diameter: 9 cm
Dry Mass: 196 grams
Nozzle: 9 mm Gardena

For a little fun, I calculated the theoretical Isp of this rocket, which is about 3.02 seconds.
In-line deployment systems are the best. We've never trusted any other type of parachute system. The dual deploy parachute system we created in 2004 was dual in-line parachutes. One chute deployed out from below the nosecone and the other was deployed below the electronics bay. It was a good system but we eliminated to save weight and decrease our setup time so we could get in 3 launches within the 2 hour time limit for world records. It's cool to see you guys trying some of these same experiments. If you have any questions about our system, feel free to ask.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison