water helicopter

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

water helicopter

Post by Jelo »

water rocket, boat and car....what about helicopter??
one of my favourite cheap toys (under 2€) is the balloon helicopter, why not make a larger version of this with a water rocket?

http://www.mooncostumes.com/image/7875

how it works: a balloon is attached to the rotors, when released, air goes through the 3 tubes along each blade, comming out one end and pushing the rotor around
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
teper
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: water helicopter

Post by teper »

Wouldn't the weight of the water prevent it from lifting off?
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

Rockets powered by water, thats possible, why not helicopters. A water rocket has a good thrust to weight ratio, so would this helicopter.
The exhaust will look great.
How are you thinking of sealing preassurizing and launching it?
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Brian wrote:Rockets powered by water, thats possible, why not helicopters. A water rocket has a good thrust to weight ratio, so would this helicopter.
The exhaust will look great.
How are you thinking of sealing preassurizing and launching it?
The thrust to weight ratio is do large, you could probably scale this up pretty large and use very small jets to spin the rotors and get a powerful lift from the rotors that could lift a large reservoir of water.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
appypaddy

Post by appypaddy »

we know that helicopters are working with air pressure. but we know that in the oceans and seas, there is water pressure. if we invent a water helicopter which is designed for water pressure , will it fly;(or swim) inside the sea. i mean can same principles for air pressure is or is not valid for water pressure. is the propeller of the sea helicopter will let helicopter to take off. this is important for my project . thanks. will a helicopter designed for ocean pressure take off . the helicopter is designed according to same principles for a helicopter wich works using air pressure. is water or liquid pressure same as air pressure at this point.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

appypaddy wrote:we know that helicopters are working with air pressure. but we know that in the oceans and seas, there is water pressure. if we invent a water helicopter which is designed for water pressure , will it fly;(or swim) inside the sea. i mean can same principles for air pressure is or is not valid for water pressure. is the propeller of the sea helicopter will let helicopter to take off. this is important for my project . thanks. will a helicopter designed for ocean pressure take off . the helicopter is designed according to same principles for a helicopter wich works using air pressure. is water or liquid pressure same as air pressure at this point.
I remember reading that the first torpedoes invented had used compressed air from a tank that would drive their propellers. That only lasted a while because the torpedo would leave a trail of bubbles that gave it away and helped the target ship evade them.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
appypaddy wrote:we know that helicopters are working with air pressure. but we know that in the oceans and seas, there is water pressure. if we invent a water helicopter which is designed for water pressure , will it fly;(or swim) inside the sea. i mean can same principles for air pressure is or is not valid for water pressure. is the propeller of the sea helicopter will let helicopter to take off. this is important for my project . thanks. will a helicopter designed for ocean pressure take off . the helicopter is designed according to same principles for a helicopter wich works using air pressure. is water or liquid pressure same as air pressure at this point.
I remember reading that the first torpedoes invented had used compressed air from a tank that would drive their propellers. That only lasted a while because the torpedo would leave a trail of bubbles that gave it away and helped the target ship evade them.
About 5 years ago there were a bunch of toys made with a similar air pressure operated piston engines. They had planes and cars that you pumped up and the pressure would power the piston and make them go. They looked and sounded a lot like the old gas powered RC planes, etc. They just did not fly long on a single pump fillup. There were a bunch of hacks to make them run longer, etc.

Some kid probably got hurt by one exploding and they probably took them off the market because they don't seem to be around any longer.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I remember my brother had one of those.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

What would be nice is if there where a slip type coupler that one end could rotate freely and yet still have a pressure/water tight seal. Then that could be out on the last bottle and the rotors attached to that. Then a RC controlled valve to regulate the flow of water. Technically you might be able to hover! I wonder how that would work, hmm. Interesting idea to throw around.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I have one of them. I think the problem with the rocket heli is the wieght of the water and pumping it up.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein