Multi stage rockets allowed in altitude challenge

This forum is for non-members to ask questions about our competitions. Please check our FAQ page before you ask.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Multi stage rockets allowed in altitude challenge

Post by arjan »

I was wondering if multi stage rockets are allowed in the altitude challenge?

Arjan
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Multi stage rockets allowed in altitude challenge

Post by WRA2 »

arjan wrote:I was wondering if multi stage rockets are allowed in the altitude challenge?

Arjan
Hi Arjan,

Yes there are no rules against launching a multi-stage rocket in the Altitude Challenge Competition. Just be aware that the weight limit of 1500 grams (empty and flight ready) still applies no matter how many stages are used. Also the rocket needs to be constructed from ordinary materials (no epoxy-composite wraps) This competition was designed to keep costs low).

The full list of requirements can be found here:

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Altitude_Challenge_Rules.php

Good luck PH:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Thanks for your answer on multi-stage rockets.
WRA2 wrote: Also the rocket needs to be constructed from ordinary materials (no epoxy-composite wraps) This competition was designed to keep costs low).
I can't find that in the rules, or am I just reading over it?

I was planning to build a sustainer out of glassfibre because of the high costs of ftc in my country.
I pay 10 euros for 1 piece of t8 150cm ftc and that's without shippingcosts of also 10 euros.

Arjan
Arjan

WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

arjan wrote:Thanks for your answer on multi-stage rockets.
WRA2 wrote: Also the rocket needs to be constructed from ordinary materials (no epoxy-composite wraps) This competition was designed to keep costs low).
I can't find that in the rules, or am I just reading over it?

I was planning to build a sustainer out of glassfibre because of the high costs of ftc in my country.
I pay 10 euros for 1 piece of t8 150cm ftc and that's without shippingcosts of also 10 euros.

Arjan
Hi Arjan,

You may use fiberglass/epoxy for your sustainer if you choose but the maximum launch pressure allowed is 200PSI. This competition was designed to be lower cost than the Single and Multi-stage competitions and the pressure limit was designed in the keep material costs low. Otherwise the competition would be too similar to the others and big budget teams could outspend the competition.

Also remember that your boosters must have some kind of recovery system that limits the descent rate.

Good Luck!
Lisa Walker,
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Thanks for your reply,

I was aware of the maximum launch pressure of 200 psi.
The lower costs are the reason why I want to build a rocket for this competition.
I have to do a lot of testing first but at least I can go on with my plans.

Arjan
Arjan

WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

arjan wrote:Thanks for your reply,

I was aware of the maximum launch pressure of 200 psi.
The lower costs are the reason why I want to build a rocket for this competition.
I have to do a lot of testing first but at least I can go on with my plans.

Arjan
What I meant to say is that it probably isn't recommended that you use composite wraps as a method of reinforcement for your pressure vessel. The reason the membership settled upon the 200 PSI limit was that it would exclude most wrapped rockets as being too heavy for the maximum allowed pressure and that the wrapping would be impractical but members still had the option to use the material for parts of their rockets. You might want to consider a lighter method of reinforcement for your sustainer such as fiberglass tape.
Lisa Walker,