Hello from Australia, newbie needs help

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Waterjet
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Hello from Australia, newbie needs help

Post by Waterjet »

Hi my name is Chris,

I have had limited experience with water rockets. I made a launcher for 2 ltr bottles for my wife who is a teacher, when she was after a cool hands on project for the kids. I had a lot of fun testing this with my mates before handing it over to the wife. Had it up to about 80psi single 2ltr bottle.

Now looking to get a bit more technical and serious with a single stage class A.

I have a couple of questions before I start investing time and money into this.
Firstly the pressure vessel, does it have to be a soda bottle or can I scratch build a pressure vessel out of carbon fiber?
Secondly the launcher I made previously has a tube extending inside the bottle neck up to the top to stop water flowing out. Is this a legal style of launcher?

Cheers
Chris
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Australia, newbie needs help

Post by WRA2 »

Waterjet wrote:Hi my name is Chris,

I have had limited experience with water rockets. I made a launcher for 2 ltr bottles for my wife who is a teacher, when she was after a cool hands on project for the kids. I had a lot of fun testing this with my mates before handing it over to the wife. Had it up to about 80psi single 2ltr bottle.

Now looking to get a bit more technical and serious with a single stage class A.

I have a couple of questions before I start investing time and money into this.
Firstly the pressure vessel, does it have to be a soda bottle or can I scratch build a pressure vessel out of carbon fiber?
Secondly the launcher I made previously has a tube extending inside the bottle neck up to the top to stop water flowing out. Is this a legal style of launcher?

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris,

Your pressure vessel can be scratch built from carbon fiber and does not need to be a soda bottle for the Class A competition.

Launch tubes are allowed (that is what you are describing..correct?)

Good Luck,
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
jerm
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hello from Australia, newbie needs help

Post by jerm »

Hi Chris and Welcome,

I am a ozzie and have been doing water rockets for a number of years, you can see re results at www.youtube.com/user/jerm870?feature=mhee . There are some fantastic site to get you up to speed and my favourite is a fellow ozzie Air Command at http://www.aircommandrockets.com/.

I wish you all the best with your water rockets.

Jeremy
DY Water Rockets
DY Water Rockets